Any Vintage Onkyo Owners?

SPL db

It's all about the music!
Subscriber
I was just thinking that there weren't many threads for vintage Onkyo units.

Maybe I'll find out why after a few posts... :D

I have an Onkyo A-7 integrated amp with a T-9 tuner

Anyone else have any Onkyo pieces?

Scott

Last edited:
Onkyo's analog tuners are generally held in high regard.

I always liked the A-5 and A-7 amps; nearly bought an A-5 in 1978, but bought a Yamaha CA-610II instead (which I still have).

I do have a few Onkyo pieces, but only one vintage one: a TX-2500II (IIRC) receiver. There's something wrong with one output (transient, fluctuating DC on one output only), but it's a handsome, hefty receiver for its class.

I have a few more modern Onkyo pieces too. Even in the BPC (black plastic crap) era, Onkyo made some better-than-average massmarket stuff, and (best I can tell) still makes better than average HT gear.

I've got a nice little A-7040 integrated amp. Not a 'big boy' but a pretty solid 50 wpc. Servo controlled feedback. I've gone through and replaced the old opamps in the preamp section and bypassed the phono equalizer so that now it has 3 line level inputs (instead of 1 plus 2 phono inputs). Got it set up running sound from the TV, DVD, and VCR. Nice little amp.

Steve.

I saw an Onkyo TX-2500 in a thrift the other day, it was my first chance to really check out an Onkyo component. It seemed very solid for a lower-power receiver and had a nice "vintage" silver look and feel to it. I passed on the chance to purchase it (too many receivers already) but it was a very nice little piece. Wish I could have had a chance to hear it...

TX-4500 and TX-2500MKII and a DX-2700 CD player. Both receivers clean and working, but just hanging around waiting for me to do something with them. CD player is in use in the shed.

Best
John

I have a TX8500 MK2. About 12 years ago I traded the repair of an 8080DB for this one. Both channels were friiiied! I rebuilt both amps had it running great. And then it got knocked off its shelf and landed on its face in the '94 Northridge quake. It still sounds great but not real pretty to look at. I keep hoping to find a parts unit. I also have an A-8019 int amp. One of these days I will get around to selling that one. I think their Integra line is good stuff, even the line of HT equipment.

Have T-4---Sweet

My daily driver. Have it on my livingroom system. Very good FM. Since I started listening to AM 740 on my portables, I wish it was a little better here. :worried: My recently aquired Pioneer QX 4000,their baby Quad has a very good tuner and gets it better. :thmbsp: That Canadean AM station is a lot of fun.

Eric

I loved my A-10 integrated amp and T-10 tuner so much that I bought an identical set from a used audio consignment shop. They are great units and so is my TX-8500 receiver. I love the Onkyo stuff! When I get a chance, I will pick up a nice TX-6500 MKII that has a couple of lights that are out. Otherwise, it's darn near mint.

Hi, I'm a relatively new member. I have been lurking for a while and have gotten addicted to AK and its many forums. I have an Onkyo A-5 that I have owned, I think, since '77 or '78, It sounds great today, as good as it did originally. I have gotten bit by the vintage bug reciently and have aquired an A-10 that sounds terrific, also #2 T-9 tuners and a T-4 and they all sound fantastic. When I compare them to Yamaha state of the art Home Theater systems that I own, these old units have nothing to envy the newer units as far as sound quality is concerned.

ralarcon said:
Hi, I'm a relatively new member. I have been lurking for a while and have gotten addicted to AK and its many forums. I have an Onkyo A-5 that I have owned, I think, since '77 or '78, It sounds great today, as good as it did originally. I have gotten bit by the vintage bug reciently and have aquired an A-10 that sounds terrific, also #2 T-9 tuners and a T-4 and they all sound fantastic. When I compare them to Yamaha state of the art Home Theater systems that I own, these old units have nothing to envy the newer units as far as sound quality is concerned.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like I'm pulling them out of the woodwork! :D

Scott

I have several pieces of ONkyo gear. The TX-8500MkII and TX-7000. Both of those received damage in shipping, but work great.
2 of the T-9 tuners, and an M-5160 & M-5140 amplifiers. All sound great.
All of these are for sale, if interested PM me.

Last edited:
I no longer recall the model numbers, but do remember being impressed by some of their mid 70's units back then.

Anthony

I have many Onkyo pieces that I picked up in Japan in the late 70's-mid 80's.
Onkyo was and still is pretty big in Japan, and most of their better stuff is still built there and not in China like alot of the cheap crap made today.

I have:
M508 Grand Integra Poweramp; very sweet sound with lots of depth.
DX-5700 Integra CD player (2 of these) I'll stand it up next to any player regardless of price.
DX-706 Integra CD player; sounds just as good as the DX-5700
Their Integra line is such a bargain; wonderful, high end sound at ridiculously low prices. The Onkyo stuff also has good sound, much better than competing brands at the same pricepoint, and better build quality.

I'm using a TX-37 as the current frontroom AV integrated. As compared to my Marantz 2226B (universal measureing stick of other itegrated tuners) it's sound quality better, but it's tone is a bit obnoxous. I'd like it alot if I were into hip-hop, lots of power and bass very crisp and lively. Lots of power.
Marantz has a much more mellow sound, in comparison the onkyo seems to overexagerate. It ruins the story, because it just isn't believable.

Has a A7055 Amp by Onkyo which I tested with a Marantz 2020. If the tuner hadn't already been listed on ebay, I'd have kept them both, because that was a truely sweet combo. Both sold now.

I can't say I know alot about equipment like most of you, but I know a few basics to look for quality. I bought my first piece of Onkyo equipment and although it's not even close to vintage (brand new) it speaks volumes about the quality of the brand. I won a bid for a DX-C390 CD/MP3 player on Ebay. It's not only beautiful to look at, but the sound is amazingly clear. I run this through a 1979 Yamaha Cr-640 and a set of MTX 600W speakers, and the sound is beautiful. I spent the last two months researching CD players, new and vintage, before making my decision. This one, for the price was a steal. If you search for it on Ebay, you can get it about $50.00 cheaper than Crutchfield. I hope everything Onkyo makes is as good performing as this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XCZcyp...id=morephotos&pi=4&i=580DXC390&display=XL#Tab

Back
Top Bottom