Any Vintage Onkyo Owners?

Going through my mom's attic, I recently found myself in possession of:
-An Onkyo TX-901, and
-An Onkyo TA-R22.

(I also found two Bose 301 II speakers and two DCM CX-07 speakers, but this probably isn't the thread to ask about those.)

Any thoughts on the Onkyos? I haven't really found any good analyses on the web, so I figured I'd ask here.

I just got a real good deal on an A-7090 integrated. Nice specs and seems to be pretty well regarded. It needs a cleaning and some repair. Broken speaker tap and ground lug in the rear, a little bit of scratch and dent on the face, repaired power cord. Everything works though. I can't wait to clean it up and give it a good workout. 20180728_235402.jpg

Only 22 years old, but my TX-8210 replaced a 16-year-old beloved Sony and hasn't burped or farted as daily driver for my Bose (Series Ii) 901's...will play louder than I want for long periods and doesn't break a sweat :)

I kind of wish I could take the M506rs apart and see what's damaged, but I'm not touching it until it's all settled and if I keep it or not. I found a serviced M504 that has just been capped and LED lights added, and checked out totally. The box along with the original receipts and it's the original owner selling it. It's got a few marks on it, but it appears in the video I got from him to be fully operational. He won't take Paypal, so I need to pay cash, and until that tax refund comes I cant do it. I figure someone he knows will jump on it. I need those big meters dancing!!!

How'd this turn out?

I just got a real good deal on an A-7090 integrated. Nice specs and seems to be pretty well regarded. It needs a cleaning and some repair. Broken speaker tap and ground lug in the rear, a little bit of scratch and dent on the face, repaired power cord. Everything works though. I can't wait to clean it up and give it a good workout. View attachment 1255731

That's a whole lot of amplifier right there! It was on my short list of must have gear before I ran across a couple of other deals I couldn't pass up. Congratulations!

Thanks. I watched the guy cut his price in half over two weeks on CL. He knew what he had but there must not have been much interest.

A couple of real nice ones sold on Ebay for pretty large money when I was looking for one and then I couldn't find one for awhile. Now that I'm kind of flush with gear I've seen a couple sell at more realistic levels, and I'm more than a little disappointed that I didn't wait to get a 7090. Please update with your impressions once you get that bad boy dialed in!

I like Onkyo gear. I had and sold the M506rs beast with a P304 pre. I still visit the buddy who bought the combo from me and it sounds damn good....still....even after I have experienced and currently own all sorts of tube separates. There is something about TRUE dual mono power supplies with two actual power transformers. I've always liked the HKs, Sansuis, NADs, Technics and baby Adcoms that adopted this principle. I have really been in love with early 80's(82-83) lower power NAD separates lately. Mostly nostalgia I'd guess but the 1020 pre/2150 power combo is amazing with some loudspeakers. Back to the subject. Currently, I only have the Onkyo Integra A-809 integrated and the TX-88 receiver I was given by a good friend. I also had some Integra A-8xxx unit I can't remember the exact model of. All have very good sound. Very similar to the Luxman sound of the same era in SS integrateds. The A-809 being a real sleeper. The thing has slam. I was running my Forte IIs with it and I did not suffer the unpleasantries of SS/Klipsch synergy. It's alot less grainy than I expected it to be. The tuner on the TX-88 is amazing too. The TX-88 unit is a solid 10/10 light show. 420 approved. LOL

Last edited:
I have the Onkyo Integra TX-870, as well as a little brother TX-810. Both dynamite receivers, and both with Selective Tone Control, which is like Loudness control on steroids.

The A5, A7, and A10 were very conservatively rated, and overbuilt. I still have the A5 my dad bought new, it's all original and still sounds great. I'm getting ready to pass it along tp my oldest daughter.
My youngest son has my A7 and matching tuner. The onkyo was totally recapped and plays great - he also has from me, on permanent borrow, KEF Model 101 speakers.

Recently I traded,a minty Lafayette LR5555 to a cat,who had a TX6500mkII..He was a young guy,that in his spare time,buys whole lots of vinyl...by knocking on doors in rural NC..old soul perhaps...He was a bit miffed because the lamps are out..(all function lamps work),and he could not find anyone in Charlotte to fix it(absurd)...So I added to the TX3000,TX5000,TX4500...I know Onkyo were conservative with the output on their gear...but ...I was blown away by the 6500's ability to maintain THD and DB's...Not unlike a KR 9600,I sold last year. Going with green lamps,this time around.This outfit will be in the shop as a daily driver to the Klipsch 4. Strangely the sound is ,also similar to my M60 amp...one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

I have an onkyo cp1036a tt. It just works perfectly every time i use it. I also have a tx2000 reciever. About 25 watts. Whenever i need a reciever while working on my "good" stuff it works perfectly. If i had any sense i would just use the onkyo all the time. It definitly sounds good enough.

I have a couple on the shelf. A TX-8511 that I use quite often. An R1 spec unit and an Integra DTR-6.4 that I'm actually looking to re-home. It's all pretty good sounding stuff but the Integra is a little on the complex side.

Attachments

• 20190205_145937.jpg
    20190205_145937.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
I have a TX-2000. Actually, just set it up in my daughter’s room as her first rig. It was my daily for quite a while before that. Nothing spectacular about it, other than I have never had a single issue with it in the four or five years I’ve owned it (the main reason I passed it on to my girl). It sound decent enough to get by and it looks nice, but I much prefer the warmer sound of my Pioneer SX-626.

I have a TX-2000. Actually, just set it up in my daughter’s room as her first rig. It was my daily for quite a while before that. Nothing spectacular about it, other than I have never had a single issue with it in the four or five years I’ve owned it (the main reason I passed it on to my girl). It sound decent enough to get by and it looks nice, but I much prefer the warmer sound of my Pioneer SX-626.
You exactly described mine. Totally nondescript but good enough that i just listen to music. I always think about giving it away but am afraid some day ill want it.

Back
Top Bottom