Any vintage speaker sightings in classic movies?

imprimez

Just a random thought I had...

Has anyone ever seen any vintage speaker system in classic movies? Surely there's had to have been a room filmed at least once that has had cornerhorns in it. Or maybe a backstage shot of a theater loaded with Altecs... or a recording studio... or something similar. Nevertheless, I've never sighted any.

Have you?

OK. The Altec and RCA (?) monitors in the Judy Garland / James Mason version of "A Star is Born"

The Altec A7s in the recording studio scene in "31 Short Films About Glen Gould."

The KEF 207(?s) in "American Psycho."

What were the big, dipole panel speakers at the very end of a Clockwork Orange - the ones they wheel into Alex's hospital suite?

"Ferris Bueller's ...." was on the other day and I noticed that he had a rack of Carver seperates in his bedroom system. I saw the scene while passing through the room and only saw the stack but I bet there were speakers in his room that might be of interest.

Just a random thought I had...

Has anyone ever seen any vintage speaker system in classic movies? Surely there's had to have been a room filmed at least once that has had cornerhorns in it. Or maybe a backstage shot of a theater loaded with Altecs... or a recording studio... or something similar. Nevertheless, I've never sighted any.

Have you?
OK, this is cool, BUT, older movies are too obvious since that was what was readily available or often "promoted". How about more recent movies like RED where Willis character has a Pioneer SX-780 (I believe). No I didn't catch the speakers, but seeing "vintage" speakers in a movie from the same era isn't vintage to me. Vintage in a current movie, now that is vintage. The more I think about it, I seem to recall someone posting, one time, that a number of Willis movies have vintage gear in them.

AR3's in Animal House: the pot smoking scene at the English professors played by played by Donald Sutherland's house. .

I was watching a TV commercial for DVD's of the old Dean Martin show... He had some wild equipment on his shelf next to his bar. Almost looked like MAC at a glance. I'll see if I can find a photo.

A killer with a Quad. The serial killer in Michael Powell's classic "Peeping Tom" has a Quad ESL.

That's Anna Massey, Raymond's daughter, being threatened.

022.jpg

019-1.jpg

Awesome! It would be nice if we can document all the speakers and other equipment we've seen in movies. As far as I know, nothing of the sort has been done so far!

A thread full of pictures and screen captures of this would be outstanding.

OK. The Altec and RCA (?) monitors in the Judy Garland / James Mason version of "A Star is Born"

The Altec A7s in the recording studio scene in "31 Short Films About Glen Gould."

The KEF 207(?s) in "American Psycho."

What were the big, dipole panel speakers at the very end of a Clockwork Orange - the ones they wheel into Alex's hospital suite?

If I'm not mistaken, those might have just been some fake speakers made to look really good. They had what looked like about a 30in woofer in a cab no more then 8in deep or so. And then there was 9 drivers above that looking to be about 8in drives. Not very practical. But when they wheel them in, they look awesome!

What were the speakers / components in the parents' living room at the beginning of "Risky Business?"

IIRC, they never showed speakers, but the equipment was all nice, matching Carver equipment.

In Christmas Vacation the house next door to the Griswall's (spelling?) had the Bang & Olufsen setup that Clark killed when a peice of ice went through there window.

In Christmas Vacation the house next door to the Griswall's (spelling?) had the Bang & Olufsen setup that Clark killed when a peice of ice went through there window.

Haha! I remember seeing that movie so many times as a kid. Then the first time I saw it after getting into Stereos was totally different. I couldn't believe they destroyed the B&O gear.

that reddish thing is a speaker? I thought it is a curtain

No, that's the famous Quad ESL, an English electrostatic speaker released in 1957 and often known as the "Quad 57". One of the great all time speakers and one that IMO can hold it's own with today's best.

The speaker has dynamic limitations but has a clarity and openess of sound that is quite striking. The speaker still has quite a following.

Last edited:
There's some Altec A7's hanging behind John in Saturday Night Fever when they are dancing in the disco..

and here's one that looks to be an EV..

Saturday-Night-Fever_Karen-Lynn-Gorney_blue-leotard.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
The other day I watched the conversation with Gene Hackman 1974. There are several pieces of eqiupment through out the film. Some Reel to Reel decks and a nice tube stereo connected to a pair of cutom made speakers. I could be wrong about that.

Back
Top Bottom