Any VPI 299D Integrated Amplifier Owners?

Janotoro

Hi, I am very tempted by the opportunity to buy a VPI 299D Integrated Amplifier; I have read the reviews and read some discussions about why VPI made them, etc, but I have not find a detailed review from a current or past owner about the sound quality, if it is really worth the investment or if it is just the hype of VPI TTs owners? How does it compares to a McIntosh IA, for example.
I have professionally recapped Marantz 2252B in great shape but think I can do more to really get the most out of my music. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Hi, I am very tempted by the opportunity to buy a VPI 299D Integrated Amplifier; I have read the reviews and read some discussions about why VPI made them, etc, but I have not find a detailed review from a current or past owner about the sound quality, if it is really worth the investment or if it is just the hype of VPI TTs owners? How does it compares to a McIntosh IA, for example.
I have professionally recapped Marantz 2252B in great shape but think I can do more to really get the most out of my music. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

New 299D owner here. I have only had it for about 10 days but in that time it has rocked my sonic world. There have been/are some great deals on this amp recently and I took advantage of one. But even for the full asking price, I would agree with Steve Guttenberg's assessment that it's a sonic bargain even at $4000. The retro looks and finish are awesome too.

As you probably already know it's a very strictly limited edition of 100 and, according to the dealer who sold me mine, there's been a bit of a perception issue with buyers investing a few grand in one of these instead of a Primaluna, say, when VPI is an unknown quantity when it comes to building tube amps. But if you look at the pedigree here, you'll see that Steve Leung of VAS hand built all 100 models at VPI and it was a labor of love project between him and Harry Weisfeld. As such it's one of those amps that appears greater than the sum of its parts and is full to the gunnels with prime features like two wide bandwidth output transformers with a heck of a lot of oomph, a toroidal power supply transformer, ALPs motor potentiometer on the volume, silver plated signal cables and, crucially, point to point construction.

What we have here, I think, is a super good looking future classic that many VPI enthusiasts, and others, will lust after when it's no longer available new, such are the vagaries of supply and demand. Although some dealers now appear to be keen to offload their, admittedly small, stocks of the 299D, I'm pretty sure that prices will start to escalate North when the last available new models have gone.

I'd say that as soon as you hear one of these you're sold. Suffice it to say it does everything as well as you'd hope, probably even better than that. It's obviously such a limited run product that, in the grand scheme of things, very few have actually auditioned one. Trust me, they have missed out on something special here.

An audiophile friend of mine is a Primaluna Prologue integrated owner and considers my 299D to be the better amp, having visited me for a listening evening earlier this week. I haven't heard the Dialogue integrated, which is probably the more equivalent model, as it does share a good number of similar high quality features. It doesn't have the autobias feature that the Primalunas have, but I'm the sort of guy who'd rather bias manually anyway, as I've always done it with my solid state amps. The built-in bias meter makes this whole process so simple in any case.

Even with the stock Electro Harmonix EL34's, this thing has tons of power. Indeed I spoke with Steve Leung (his phone number is in the manual) and he strongly recommended that I fit KT150s at some point, which is how he's been rolling his own 299D. The only compromise here would be that the safety cage will not cover the 150's but that's a small price to pay unless you have a listening environment where kids and/or animals are likely to hurt themselves.

Right now I'm very happy with the EL34 sound as it has real balls underpinning the sweetness and delicacy you'd associate with that tube. It's throwing out a ton of ultra controlled bass. I've put in about 50 hours of listening and it has been gradually more impressive, with more to come I'm sure - the mind boggles.

I've never listened to so much digital until now, as this amp transforms my collection, but it also has a very impressive phono stage, despite some comments you'll read with non-owners speculating that it's a cheap and cheerful one. I find it very hard to believe that VPI would compromise too much in that area and, certainly on my set up, it's way better than the Parasound external phono stage I've been using. Not even close.

I'm not a headphone listener, but I do gather that the headphone amp that's built in is giving amazing results.

It's that rare beast of a Swiss Army knife amp without any obvious compromises.

With prices where they're at right now I really don't think you can lose. Even if you didn't like it, which I would be amazed if that was so, you could easily move it on for what you paid, or make a small profit (or arguably a much larger one later on). For me it's a long term keeper and may well be the last amp I ever need. The sound and build quality are certainly in that sort of class.

Good luck and keep us all posted if you decide to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Thanks Catalysis for the detailed and extensive response/advice. One of the things keeping me In the dence is the THD of the VPI 299D, 1% (1kHz), my Marantz 2252B has 0.05% and although this is one criteria, is a key one.
Ai also wonder is the Amp itself says if it is Made in America since even Mat Weisfeld mentioned he took the Made In America legend from the logo for the 299D.
Thanks.

Thanks Catalysis for the detailed and extensive response/advice. One of the things keeping me In the dence is the THD of the VPI 299D, 1% (1kHz), my Marantz 2252B has 0.05% and although this is one criteria, is a key one.
Ai also wonder is the Amp itself says if it is Made in America since even Mat Weisfeld mentioned he took the Made In America legend from the logo for the 299D.
Thanks.

OMGCat! is correct about THD, and tube amp specs in general, and this is not even apparent in the listening experience. Believe me, if it was I'd have returned mine. In fact by comparison with solid state it's incredibly seamless and the top end just goes on forever without the slightest hint of distortion. Same goes for the rest of the sound spectrum too. Essentially it's what most amps should aspire to in terms of signal integrity. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that spec is a misprint, but either way it's not an issue.

As far as the Made in America thing goes, this was a decision taken by Mat because components were inevitably sourced from "everywhere" as he put it, but he also said in a forum post that the design and assembly at VPI was enough to justify the Made in USA wording, but it contrasted with their normal criteria for turntables.

Another point you might want to consider is that the product was later to market than anticipated because Harry and Steve were still busy refining it. This was always a project created with a lot of love and enthusiasm, rather than any sort of ambition or obligation to break into the amplifier market. That makes it very special.

If you are in any way uncertain make sure you purchase from somewhere that operates a return policy. I can pretty much guarantee, however, that you won't be letting it out of your sight once you've auditioned. It's a keeper if ever I heard one.

And it really could be a classic case of snooze you lose, because this is a very, very limited run and used models are going to be very thin on the ground and possibly selling for more than the original asking price. There will always be someone looking for a VPI signal path through to their speakers. There's a lot of brand loyalty.

Last edited:
I haven't heard this particular amp but will say that you shouldn't let the specs steer you. Most tube amps will have higher, or even far higher THD than solid state but sound very good. Specs aren't the whole story.
Thanks OMGCat! I have tried to find out as much as possible about low THD and how is sometimes achieved by introducing negative feedback. It is good to know Tube Amps usually have higher distorsión.

OMGCat! is correct about THD, and tube amp specs in general, and this is not even apparent in the listening experience. Believe me, if it was I'd have returned mine. In fact by comparison with solid state it's incredibly seamless and the top end just goes on forever without the slightest hint of distortion. Same goes for the rest of the sound spectrum too. Essentially it's what most amps should aspire to in terms of signal integrity. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that spec is a misprint, but either way it's not an issue.

As far as the Made in America thing goes, this was a decision taken by Mat because components were inevitably sourced from "everywhere" as he put it, but he also said in a forum post that the design and assembly at VPI was enough to justify the Made in USA wording, but it contrasted with their normal criteria for turntables.

Another point you might want to consider is that the product was later to market than anticipated because Harry and Steve were still busy refining it. This was always a project created with a lot of love and enthusiasm, rather than any sort of ambition or obligation to break into the amplifier market. That makes it very special.

If you are in any way uncertain make sure you purchase from somewhere that operates a return policy. I can pretty much guarantee, however, that you won't be letting it out of your sight once you've auditioned. It's a keeper if ever I heard one.

And it really could be a classic case of snooze you lose, because this is a very, very limited run and used models are going to be very thin on the ground and possibly selling for more than the original asking price. There will always be someone looking for a VPI signal path through to their speakers. There's a lot of brand loyalty.

Thanks Catalysis, I agree with you about the VPI brand loyalty and at the same time that I am glad there are still VPI 299D for sale, it also makes me wonder why.
I like your passion for the VPI 299D and its sound, it adds a good reason to my "Go-for-it" side of the balance.

Thanks Catalysis, I agree with you about the VPI brand loyalty and at the same time that I am glad there are still VPI 299D for sale, it also makes me wonder why.
I like your passion for the VPI 299D and its sound, it adds a good reason to my "Go-for-it" side of the balance.

I touched on the reason why they haven't all sold in the first post, namely that people seemed suspicious of a turntable manufacturer diversifying out of their comfort zone into amps. The key point is, of course, that this was never intended to be a new product sector for VPI. It was borne out of a side project by Harry and Steve to pay homage to the Scott 299D and that's how they apparently voiced it.

Another big issue here is that the rarity of it means that relatively few have ever auditioned it. A good trawl around hifi websites will reveal that everyone who has heard it pretty much raves about it.

In the end, I think you're faced with a choice of going for something tried and tested, like Primaluna, or doing as I did and taking a chance on the VPI, something that has paid off handsomely in sonic terms. I got mine for less than the cost of a new Prologue integrated, so it was an easier decision than it might be for some, depending on what the offer is. If I were paying full price for the 299D, I'd have probably gone for the Primaluna Dialogue integrated, simply because it would represent less of a risk when buying online. Neither would have been a mistake.

I touched on the reason why they haven't all sold in the first post, namely that people seemed suspicious of a turntable manufacturer diversifying out of their comfort zone into amps. The key point is, of course, that this was never intended to be a new product sector for VPI. It was borne out of a side project by Harry and Steve to pay homage to the Scott 299D and that's how they apparently voiced it.

Another big issue here is that the rarity of it means that relatively few have ever auditioned it. A good trawl around hifi websites will reveal that everyone who has heard it pretty much raves about it.

In the end, I think you're faced with a choice of going for something tried and tested, like Primaluna, or doing as I did and taking a chance on the VPI, something that has paid off handsomely in sonic terms. I got mine for less than the cost of a new Prologue integrated, so it was an easier decision than it might be for some, depending on what the offer is. If I were paying full price for the 299D, I'd have probably gone for the Primaluna Dialogue integrated, simply because it would represent less of a risk when buying online. Neither would have been a mistake.
Catalysis, once again you offered very good advice and guidance. At this point I have all the elements I need to make my decision; I will exercise some patience and will give it at least tonight before I make it. I will share the outcome here.

The phono stage is crummy, but the on-the-fly UL/triode switching is awesome. And I really don’t like the volume control.

It’s tube rectified, and sounds a little looser than most modern tube amps. But it’s voiced like a vintage amp, so it is what it is.

It’s all point to point with quality parts:

E1190A56-92D6-44A9-B55D-C7984AAA0E33.jpeg

The phono stage is crummy, but the on-the-fly UL/triode switching is awesome. And I really don’t like the volume control.

It’s tube rectified, and sounds a little looser than most modern tube amps. But it’s voiced like a vintage amp, so it is what it is.

View attachment 1059366

Hi MrrayLives, thanks for adding to the thread. I have tons of questions from your post, please bare with me:
1. The only other comment I have found about the Phono Stage not being good is from someone that had not heard the actual unit. You have and my question is if it is Crummy in general or compared to top of the line Phono Stages? I am using the Phono Stage on my Marantz 2252B and sounds pretty good although you can tell it could do more.
2. What is that you don't like about the Volume Control? User experience or technically speaking? If the later, is the sound quality affected?
3. Aren't all tube amps rectified in order to convert AC into DC? Or is the fact that solid state rectifier would be better?
4. Is the "Tube Rectified" aspect of the unit what causes the looser sound? and based on this,
5. When you say "looser sound", do you mean looser bass, more coloration, lack of mids clarity or something else?
6. What would be one of those modern Tube Amps you would compare the VPI 299D to?
7. In your picture, is there anything specific you are pointing out with the screwdriver that I may be missing? Is that the phono stage?
8. How long do you have with your VPI 299D?
9. Have you tried other tubes (TK88, TK120 r TK 150s)? If so, what are your thoughts?
10. Would you buy it again? If not how much should the price be for you to buy it again?
11. Any comments on the headphones amp?

Thanks and pardon the questions assault.

Janotoro

Last edited:
Naturally I'm going to disagree with MurrayLives on the phono stage, as I've had some wonderful results from it, whether it's cheap and cheerful or not. Perhaps that's due to a short signal path and good system synergy, or just personal taste, who knows? Nonetheless you need to note his comments, especially if you don't have another external phono stage. I do and I'm actually going to go back to it tomorrow night to see if I'm not imagining things. It's probably important to consider that my amp is still running in, so things do change. My amp definitely sounds better overall than when I last plugged in the Parasound phono.

To elaborate on the sound from the internal phono stage, it offers a very smooth yet detailed sound that I really like. Maybe not to everyone's tastes? Don't forget that the 299D has tone controls which should afford different voicing if desired (I currently don't use either of them).

Quite obviously, this cannot be the last word in phono stages, but I'd be quite happy if it were my only option. Your mileage may vary, naturally.

It would be somewhat disappointing and surprising if VPI lowered its standards on phono stage quality. I suspect that Harry and Steve have voiced it in a certain way and that maybe isn't appealing to everyone. I will call Steve to discuss It tomorrow.

I'm also puzzled as to why the volume control comes in for criticism from MurrayLives as it's very, very adjustable, in terms of fine tuning, uses an ALPS potentiometer like the Primaluna Dialogue and being remote controlled is super easy to use, so I'm also looking forward to his answer.

The looseness may also be a system/speaker specific thing. All I've had is tight and detailed bass, crystal clear mids and seamless top end. It sounds very modern to me and I'm quite familiar with my friend's very up to date Primaluna Prologue integrated. In fact as I alluded to in a previous post, my friend much prefers the clean but full bass from my VPI.

All that being said, tube rectification in this model is quite clearly a voicing decision to get that vintage sound, but this amp has tons of clarity and slam, so I'm not sure if it's your typical rectifier circuit. Another question for Steve.

Thanks also to MurrayLives for the internal shot. I hadn't seen that previously. Looks a very neat job and actually quite efficient in parts and circuitry.

Last edited:
Thanks Catalysis. Curious to know what Steve says and what is your impression with your Parasound Phono Stage. Y have a basic Music-Hall Preamp that sounds good but I prefer the Marantz Phono Stage. So this is definitely an issue since I won't be able to invest in a Phono stage in a while.
Looking forward to Murray Lives Answers.

I second the gratitude to MurrayLives for the internal picture of the VPI 299D.

View attachment 1059366

Being a HH Scott 299 / LK-72B fan and owner of three restored examples, I read this thread and online reviews with great interest. At first glance, I thought the 299D moniker was a rip off but I was mistaken. The VPI is faithful right down to the tube rectifier, a feature which IMO gives the original it's tube charm. I've owned modern MC275V amps and heard a few others in the house, none of which had tube rectifiers and none of which could serve up the same tube goodness. I found them to sound too much like solid state which IMO defeats the purpose of the glow. If anyone has heard a MC60 side by side against the MC75, the difference will be on full display. I wish more tube amp manufacturers would audition the 299D as the VPI guys did.

Hi SoCal Sam, I think the confusion arose because the original 299D looks nothing like the VPI amp, of course (or maybe I should have written that the other way round :)). The true similarity is clearly in the amp voicing and yet I'd say it's still a very dynamic and modern take on those classic sonic characteristics, thanks in no small measure to what I strongly suspect are pretty identical output transformers and power supply to the Primaluna Dialogue. This affords a boatload of oomph when necessary.

I think your post pretty much nails it concerning the tube rectification. It was definitely an important consideration in my opting to go for the 299D. None of the Primaluna integrateds have tube rectification.

You're right that use of a tube rectifier avoids possible solid state/tube hybrid accusations, if such things are important to you (they certainly are to me and you too by the sounds of things). It also affords another very interesting rolling option, of course.

My view if you're going down the tube road is to go all in if possible. Rectification is an important part of that equation.

Last edited:
Hi SoCal Sam, I think the confusion arose because the original 299D looks nothing like the VPI amp, of course (or maybe I should have written that the other way round :)). The true similarity is clearly in the amp voicing and yet I'd say it's still a very dynamic and modern take on those classic sonic characteristics, thanks in no small measure to what I strongly suspect are pretty identical output transformers and power supply to the Primaluna Dialogue.

I think your post pretty much nails it concerning the tube rectification. This would be the key design/voicing contrast with, say, the Primalunas (sorry for repeatedly mentioning those but they are what I know best other than my VPI). It was definitely an important consideration in my opting to go for the 299D.

You're right that use of a tube rectifier avoids possible solid state/tube hybrid accusations, if such things are important to you (they certainly are to me and you too by the sounds of things). It also affords another very interesting rolling option, of course.

My view if you're going down the tube road is to go all in. Rectification is an important part of that equation.

Congrats on your acquisition and thanks for sharing. I have always wondered why there are so few modern amps with tube rectifiers. IMO and IME every tube rectified amp I have owned or heard has strong centering image and an airiness that is missing in solid state rectified amps. This is a sweeping statement which I have investigated with my MAC's and Fishers and have always arrived at the same conclusion.

Hi MrrayLives, thanks for adding to the thread. I have tons of questions from your post, please bare with me:
1. The only other comment I have found about the Phono Stage not being good is from someone that had not heard the actual unit. You have and my question is if it is Crummy in general or compared to top of the line Phono Stages? I am using the Phono Stage on my Marantz 2252B and sounds pretty good although you can tell it could do more.
2. What is that you don't like about the Volume Control? User experience or technically speaking? If the later, is the sound quality affected?
3. Aren't all tube amps rectified in order to convert AC into DC? Or is the fact that solid state rectifier would be better?
4. Is the "Tube Rectified" aspect of the unit what causes the looser sound? and based on this,
5. When you say "looser sound", do you mean looser bass, more coloration, lack of mids clarity or something else?
6. What would be one of those modern Tube Amps you would compare the VPI 299D to?
7. In your picture, is there anything specific you are pointing out with the screwdriver that I may be missing? Is that the phono stage?
8. How long do you have with your VPI 299D?
9. Have you tried other tubes (TK88, TK120 r TK 150s)? If so, what are your thoughts?
10. Would you buy it again? If not how much should the price be for you to buy it again?
11. Any comments on the headphones amp?

Thanks and pardon the questions assault.

Janotoro

1: The phono stage is very solid state sounding (and I'm pretty sure it actually is solid state). Also noisy.
2: The volume control isn't granular enough, so using the remote is way too tricky in getting the volume just right. I would set the volume by hand, which is annoying.
3/4/5: All are rectified, the VPI is tube rectified but I wouldn't call it better, just what you want or what you're going for. I usually call it a "romantic sounding" amp.
6: I've compared directly against single ended and push pull tube amps from various makers.
7: I was just blocking my serial number with the screwdriver.
8: About a year
9: I've used KT88's, EL34's, 6CA7's, and KT77's. My favorites type were the 6CA7's.
10: It's a good value and I'll probably use it in my downstairs system. I got mine for 3k, and I think that's a more appropriate price on it.
11: The headphone amp is fine, but I only ever used it with low impedance cans.

Back
Top Bottom