Any watch enthusiasts here on AK?

Dswankey

Lunatic Member
I was hoping to find out if anyone has any suggestions on where I can purchase a good quality Nato and or Zulu strap for My Seiko SKX007 diver watch.

There seems to be way too many places to buy them and I was hoping that a fellow watch enthusiast my be able to chime in.

I've checked out Maratac however they don't have what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Oops - I misunderstood.

If you can find one that has the actual NSN/FSN listed, they would at least be authentic.

I'm not new to time pieces having owned a Brietling recently but I stuck with bracelet & rubber strap so pardon my ignorance but what is NSN/FSN?

National Stock Number/Federal Stock Number

Anything that the military buys has an NSN / FSN - their own part number. There are a bazillion interchange part numbers for a Chevy spin-on oil filter (PF-35), but to the military, they're all 2940-00-082-6034.

If the military ever bought that style of watchband, it will have an NSN that looks like the number above. One NSN for a military watch band is
6645-00-333-5396

Here's the government specs:
Characteristics Data Response for NSN 6645-00-333-5396
Item Name: STRAP,WRIST INSTRUMENT
MRC Requirement Statement Clear Text Reply
NAME ITEM NAME STRAP,WRIST INSTRUMENT
ABGL WIDTH 0.625 INCHES NOMINAL
ABRY LENGTH 9.750 INCHES NOMINAL
FEAT SPECIAL FEATURES ONE PIECE CONSTRUCTION; 0.045 IN.
THK
HUES COLOR BLACK
MATL MATERIAL NYLON
ZZZK SPECIFICATION/STANDARD DATA 81349-MIL-S-46383,TYPE II
GOVERNMENT SPECIFICATION
ZZZT NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA II TYPE

Only from afar. That's a whole nother' deep hobby I can't get sucked into. But I appreciate a nice watch. I wear SEIKO divers, usually off Amazon for around $100 and often get compliments on them. But they ain't no Rolex/Omega's.

I'm just looking for a good quality strap and was hoping someone who wears a diver watch and is in to the hobby might have a suggestion for an online retailer who've they dealt with and could share whether it was quality or not, expensive or not.

I am coming to this a little behind. I have found Cincy Strap Works to have impressive NATOs. I have three for my Seiko SBDX017 (Seiko MM300). I really love this watch, and I have a fair few straps.

County Comm also has some nice Maratac straps. Wound and Worn is another favorite of mine.

My watch takes 20mm straps, and yours takes 22mm straps. Most all straps will be offered in both. 18mm and 24mm are usually held to a few brands. Rolex is technically a 19mm strap, but a 20mm usually works (depending on the owner).

I would stay away from watch branded straps (Breitling, Omega, etc). I have never found them to be better -- just more expensive. If you have a Seiko branded buckle, you will be opened up to even more options. Some expensive straps do not come with a buckle.

I kinda forgot I started this thread, I wound up going with a Nato from Crown & Buckle. It's pretty nice and to me a pretty good build quality.

I've been happy with Barton watch straps (available on Amazon). Picked up a NATO for my beater Freestyle surf watch. I also have one of their black silicone bands for a Citizen I wanted to dress down.

I've got a Rolex automatic that spends lots of time in a Versa winder. Inexpensive and it works great. Not silent enough for bedside, so I keep it in my closet.

I've got my eye on the automatic Seiko diver (007). Will put a silicon band on it. Those are comfy. I bought a Momentum womens diver watch for my lovely wife. Nice quality. Canadian company that uses Japanese movements. She also has a Baume & Mercier sports watch which I got her. Then she's got a few from the Sundance catalog. They look good, but are likely Chinese movements.

Yes I'm into watches. I like the old 60's Omegas, I've about ten of them, mainly Seamaster Cosmics. Also have several old Seikos and a couple of Speedmaster reduced.

Latest bought from Japan.

5dcd01.jpg

Another fan of seiko divers here. I wonder if there's any relation between seiko and audio. I have 1st and 2nd gen monsters, with AR sapphire upgrades. A seiko reissue of the Aliens Ripley. All stock seiko baby monster.

I feel there is a relationship between watches and the way I look at audio equipment.

For watches, I started out flipping them regularly until I decided to go ahead and buy the one I was after. I did very similarly with audio equipment.

I have not flipped audio equipment quite the same way as it is heavy and expensive to ship. Also, watches are not far off of precious metals in keeping their value (and precious metal watches potentially more so -- I don't know). I sounds odd, but audio equipment needs just the right buyer. There is always a buyer for a watch.

Back
Top Bottom