Anybody by records from Mobile Fidelity.

The Silver Label is a MoFi release that does not use the original master tapes. Either the tapes are in bad shape, lost, or gone for good. So they use the best source they have to make the Silver Label series. Some of these releases are hit or miss since they are working with a less than ideal source to begin with in some cases. For the Silver Label series, the top of the cover says Mobile Fidelity and not Original Master Recording.

I have many many many MFSL vinyl titles and a bunch of the Ultradisc Gold CD's. I'd say I've been happy with 90%+ of everything I have by them.

On a side note since we'retalking audiophile....

I also have the DCC (Steve Hoffman), Analogue Productions, Music Matters, and other audiophile label releases. MoFi tops my list as best sound across the vinyl product line. DCC is really hit or miss to me. The Hoffman forum people praise these releases, but I think if anyone said anything bad about them, they get booted off the website. AP has nice releases, but I've got a couple of real duds from them and some QC issues. Music Matters is really fantastic, but they mainly do jazz titles. They had inner sleeve issues with the older titles which resulted in a haze left on the vinyl which doesn't come off but doesn't disturb the sound.

Good info here, folks!

As far as the other labels from my experience, I only have maybe 10 DCC gold CD’s and I really like them all - they have vinyl as well, but don’t have any of those.

Only a handful or less of Music Matters vinyl, but those have been great. And their gatefold sleeves are the highest quality I’ve seen.

On AP, most of it has been good. But if I were to generalize, I find their stuff (actually similar to DCC) to be very easy to listen to - very crankable and smooth, but not the most dynamic. I had one pretty gross QC issue on a LP, but was well outside of their 30-day return window, and was hoping/expecting them to make good on replacing the bad pressing since they’re the sole pressing plant and they’re stuff is pricey, but they didn’t, so I soured on them. But if they release something unique that I can’t get elsewhere, I’ll still buy their stuff but make sure to play it within 30 days so I don’t have to eat a defective pressing.

ORG is another I don’t have much of, but what I have has been pretty good.

For jazz, the OJC (Original Jazz Classics) is pretty economical and sound quality is pretty reliable. Not the best you can possibly get, but most of us can’t buy the best audiophile release of everything we’d like to listen to, so OJC stuff is a good bang for buck alternative.

The offshore public domain labels, I try to steer away from. But if it’s not available for a reasonable price anywhere else and I want vinyl vs a CD for some reason, the only label I wanna occasionally buy from is Waxtime. Probably/likely digitally sourced, but their pressings have always been flat, quiet, and no pressing defects I’ve encountered so far.

As far as the other labels from my experience, I only have maybe 10 DCC gold CD’s and I really like them all - they have vinyl as well, but don’t have any of those.

Yes, DCC Gold CD's are generally really good. Some of their vinyl releases are real duds, Aqualung comes to mind right away.

Another audiophile series label, defunct now, but big in the 80's was the CBS/Columbia 'Mastersound' releases. Most all of these are duds imo. A few are real winners, Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd being one of them, but most have the EQ jacked up and just sound bad.

One last label I'll mention is Nautilus 'Super Disc' from the late 70s - 80s. For the most part nice pressings and most titles can be found at a fairly reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom