1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Else Goodwill Salvation Army Reducing There Vinly Section??

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by DJboutit, Mar 11, 2018.

1. DJboutit

DJboutit Active Member

Here in Houston one of the Goodwill had decent vinyl selection in the last 6 to 8 weeks they got rid of like 80% of it. Anybody else local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores reducing there vinyl sections?? This one store had a decent selection but it was $3 each kinda high even for goodwill and it is now all dumpster junk they had like 2000 now they have like 150 S M H.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Always been hit or miss at the local Goodwills for LP's. Most of the time junk. But every once in a while.........YAHOO!!!

bluesky likes this.
  3. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az All humans are vermin... Subscriber

When goodwill first opened in Kingman all of the records were 25 cents each. Everything in the store was piled up in plastic tubs, but records and CDs were usually stacked in their own tubs. They didn't have sections for anything other than electronics and clothes, and even then things would get mixed together. It was hit and miss, but I would sometimes walk out with 30+ decent to great albums at a time, including "Frampton Comes Alive" on gold vinyl at one point.

The new store that opened a few months ago is way more organized, but they have maybe 30 or 40 records at a time. And they are priced individually. I recently saw a copy of Leon Russell's "Will O' The Wisp" for $15. I haven't bought anything from them since they opened...

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Vinyl is still 2-3 rows per store but the CD section has shrunk significantly at all three that I drive by regularly.

5. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

Mine culls out the old after a few months, but the bin is usually full. Their were a few new titles today, but passed due to condition. With the times, and a young manager, some albums are being individually priced around $5.00, and put in the bin with the dollar albums. A "professional shopper" I know will not buy a $5.00 album, (personal collection), but I would, if the condition warrants it. It's the weather around here. Not many feel the urge to donate anything during the Winter months. Spring is coming, and hope springs eternal.

6. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

Nope mine still the same size and 99 cents per album even double LPs

7. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Active Member

My local SA and GW stores tend to be sporadic. SA had yielded few finds and has had the same bargain bin unloveables for months(maybe even a year). GW has been more fruitful for records as well as gear and other stuff. They've had three or four bins of records for about a month that are slow to empty. Poor condition undesirable titles abound.

darkblue94 likes this.
  8. bobins08

bobins08 Loving the dream Subscriber

In my neck of the woods they only have junk records at Thrifts.

Most people getting rid of records will sell them, they usually overvalue them too.

NOPSI likes this.
  9. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Our local GW stores do a purge about once a year or so. The only problem is they just walk down the rack and indiscriminately dump stuff in a shopping cart to haul off. So instead of getting rid of all the non-audio CD's, they just dump 75% or so of it.
    Nobody working there understands that "Mavis Beacon teaches Typing" is not going to sell or that "Sing along with Mitch" isn't very popular.
    In one store I caught the manager rearranging the shelves and she was putting all the CD's on the bottom shelf. As I saw here doing it I walked over and lay down on the floor and started browsing the titles, looked up at her and smiled saying it sure is tough to read the titles any other way. She quickly agreed to put them on the upper shelves and put books on the lower shelves. I hung out and helped her for the next 15 minutes.

BillWojo

10. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

My local GW has pretty much closed down its record area, though sometimes there are a very few. They never have cassettes anymore. But I was at another one, in another town, recently that had a small, but decent record selection to look through, and I picked up 4, including a good condition LP with Joe Venuti. I might listen to it tonight.

11. abpeep

abpeep OU Sucks!! Subscriber

The last time I stopped in one of the local Goodwills, they had no records on the shelf but they had one lot up for auction. Probably just the last batch they got in - if it sells for a few dollars at auction, the crap is out the door with anything that may have been worthwhile.

Alan

12. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the wherewithal to get into 3 or 4 thrift stores per day. There are several dozen within my scope of travel so no being confined to a specific area. All those I frequent have LP's in varying quantity but if the selections are large, the assortment is usually stale.

Being first on scene after a new batch is put out can be a bit of a thrill or a bummer (for me anyway) because I confine myself to genre. The thought crossed my mind numerous times that if I had a taste for jazz, blues or classical, I could have done extremely well.

As far as noticing overall reductions of vinyl on hand - not really. Some locations yes but in other stores, it's grown. Where there has been a noticable, abrupt lessining of stock on hand, it was deserved. In those instances that store's selection was begging to get culled. Whether or not that meant freeing up space for new arrivals or to display other merchandise, it's hard to tell.

Even though I am a vinyl aficionado, I cannot fault that decision in any way. I've often wondered whereabouts between 90% and 95% of what's on hand at any given time is of absolutely no interest what so ever to anyone who shops for used records.

I've often wondered too, where that unwanted vinyl goes? I can't imagine it getting trucked to a different store and doubt, these days, that it would get taken to or even accepted at a landfill.

13. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Collector of heavy things Subscriber

The first time I stopped into the local Goodwill, records were $1 each, and the bins were mostly full. This was the time I made my amazing record haul, as I happened to be there when they were refreshing the bins with some very nice LPs. Not long afterwards, they upped the price to $2 each, and switched from regular price tags to paper labels with barcodes on them. The last few times I've been in there, the bins have been only half-full, or even less so. Hopefully, they'll be filling them back up at some point.
    -Adam

14. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's been quite a while since I've seen more than a handful of titles at the stores I've stopped at. I hit a few in Riverside while I was there for work and it was much the same.
    These days I'll usually do a quick walk around the store and head out. I really only go if there happens to be one nearby another stop or if I'm bored but I don't do the thrift store rounds much anymore.

15. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

The local Goodwill here seems to have the same boring selection all the time. A few local gospel groups, a RD box set or two, and some other off the wall stuff. Now mind you, I don't mind local gospel groups or off the wall, but I generally don't buy it. They have some 8-tracks and a decent selection of cassettes. I donated some 8-tracks a few weeks ago myself, but I've yet to see them hit the sales floor. They probably sent them on to the garbage can! :D

16. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

That depends entirely on what it is.

17. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

Not this guy, I've known him for years.

18. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

They either have 50 guys a day in my area combing thrifts for records and audio gear or they never get anything good. Ever.

19. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Collector of heavy things Subscriber

You have to be there at the right time, methinks. As mentioned in the thread I linked to in my above post, I happened to be in the Goodwill store while an employee was loading LPs into the bins from a large wheeled cart. As soon as she was done loading one of the rows, I started flipping through it and quickly hit paydirt. At least one other person was there looking through the bins as well. When I went back a few days later, most of what I'd seen loaded into the bin that I'd left behind had disappeared, leaving behind the usual suspects. To this day, when stopping in said store, I look to see if the cart is visible near the LP bins when I poke my head through the opening into the retail section; if I see it, I'll start in there instead of the "Buy the Pound" section as usual.
    -Adam

20. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Any "professional shopper" who won't buy a $100 album for $5 needs to consider another profession.