Anybody Else Think USPS' Track & Confirm Worthless?

MAXZ28

Addicted Member
So I have a package coming USPS from the east coast and I have been given a tracking number by the seller. It appears valid as I do get a message when entering and submitting the number on the USPS website but the only thing it tells me is that the package was received by the USPS on Friday - that's it. So now it's Tuesday and the message states the same.

It doesn't tell me where my package is now. It doesn't even tell me an estimated delivery date. What's the point of this system if it's not even "tracking" my package?

Am I entering my number incorrectly or has anyone else thought this was a stupid waste of their time?

This is all I've been getting for the past two days....

"Your item was accepted at 3:33 PM on February 5, 2010 in BERLIN, NJ 08009. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

I bet it will tell me it was delivered after I sign for it. So much for the 'tracking' on Track & Confirm.

B.S. :rolleyes:

Sounds pretty accurate to me!

At least you know it hit the post office. I have had other instances where it was very detailed and I knew exactly where it is.

Depends on the laziness of the particular carrier that day IMO.

All I've ever gotten was the post office has been notified that they should be expecting package for shipment.

Yeah, USPS tracking is nearly worthless. At least you know somethings been shipped. You'll get the item days before their "tracking" says it's been delivered.

-Dave

EDIT: - HMMM, seems I made a big discourse on the wrong company. RIF.

The UPS system actually tracks truckloads. I think a bunch of stuff is palleted and then the pallet gets a single tracking number. If an item is supposed to be on the pallet, but is actually not, then that causes problems. Once it gets to the final shipping terminal, it will then switch to something like "out for delivery."

If your tracking number comes back and tells you "accepted, etc." then it may not yet have been actually picked-up or moved at all. With the weather the way it is - no surprise.

The major flaw in the system is that they don't really know if the item ever actually got onto the truck. I have had items marked "out for delivery" that have been sitting in a terminal 2000 miles away.

The system usually works well enough and is usually accurate.

UPS is pretty helpful if you call them.

The worst tracking system has to be the USPS system. It provides practically no useful information.

DH

It's not totally worthless. I had an LP shipped across the country by Media Mail before Christmas. It took almost 6 weeks to arrive. The tracking information at least gave me confirmation that the eBay seller shipped when she said she did (so I didn't become suspicious of her or unjustly upset with her). The information also gave me some hope that my LP was knocking around in the postal system's possession somewhere and might eventually get to me... which it finally did!

I'm waiting for a package from USPS that has been "accepted for delivery" since Jan. 29!

UPS tracking is phenomenal compared to this. I'm just hawing over nothing, really. I was just wondering if I was putting in my number incorrectly as it didn't tell me diddly.

I'll just have to keep checking my mailbox for their delivery attempt notice which, with my luck, will likely be on Saturday while I'm out running errands and I'll have to wait 'til Monday to sign for the package. :D

Search is your friend.
Bitch and moan all you want. What you have is a delivery confirmation number. It will confirm delivery. That is all you are paying for. If you think otherwise, pay attention here. The ONLY "Tracking " that the USPS provides is on Express Mail , their premium service. The "Track and Confirm" page is for two different services. Tracking is for Express Mail - hence the "Track" and "Confirm" is for your "Delivery Confirmation".
Just the facts.
Any questions?

Maybe this should be made a "sticky"

Kim

Exactly as KimG said. I just found this out last week when shipping an item myself. Express (read expensive) is the only way to track with USPS.

UPS on the other hand is great at tracking IME.

I just use it to prove that I shipped a package, it's not of much value after that but I did notice it's getting better at proving how slow and careless they're getting. Normally I can ship from Michigan to Washington state in 3 days, for some reason packages have been taking a tour of the USA before arriving at their destination, very strange and it makes me look bad. I guess we shouldn't complain, it's not an expensive service. :thumbsdn:

Track & Confirm e-mail update information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: 0309 1140 0001 1942 XXXX

Service Type: First-Class Packages Delivery Confirmation

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivered DUVALL WA 98019 02/08/10 1:15pm

Out for Delivery or DUVALL WA 98019 02/08/10 10:56am
Available at PO Box

Sorting Complete DUVALL WA 98019 02/08/10 10:26am

Arrival at Unit DUVALL WA 98019 02/08/10 6:02am

Processed through Sort FEDERAL WAY WA 98003 02/08/10 12:02am
Facility

Processed through Sort FEDERAL WAY WA 98003 02/07/10 9:41pm
Facility

Processed through Sort JAMAICA NY 11430 02/06/10 2:59pm
Facility

Processed through Sort JAMAICA NY 11430 02/05/10 3:52pm
Facility

Processed through Sort DETROIT MI 48233 01/26/10 9:22pm
Facility

Acceptance SOUTH LYON MI 48178 01/26/10 4:30pm

Reminder: Track & Confirm by email

Date of email request: 02/03/10

That's pretty efficient huh? MI to Long Island, NY to Washington.

Wonder if they could have thrown Miami in just for the vacation.

I have pretty good results with the USPS. I always thought that the tracking was pretty good, and I used a priority mail flat rate box, and it arrived the next day.

Its possible I just got lucky though.

I've sent hundreds of Priority Mail packages.. never lost one yet. But the tracking is exactly as you say, pretty much worthless between departure and arrival. Once delivered, it will tell the sender that the package got there.

Priority Mail flat rate boxes, CA to NY in 2 days flat.
I use it when ever I can.
ALWAYS print your scan form and have it scanned when you drop off your parcel.
Often I will get actual tracking when I use the scan form with the drop off.
It's all about the scan form.

Back
Top Bottom