Anybody familiar with The Holmes Brothers?

tentoze

Twangophile
I'm sure I've heard cuts from them over the years, but never heard a lot. I know I've read several things about them. Trying to decide if they're worth a trip to the Amphitheater downtown tonight for a $10 show.........

:dunno:

I would go for 10 bucks.I am not into armwaving,hallejuiah,music but these guys are reputed to be xcellent

Pope Alan V1

Would that be John and Sherlock? Any relation to the Smith Brothers of long beard and cough drop fame? :D

Anthony

Uh.... no, Anthony.

I overcame some inertia and went to the show, and it was a well-spent 10 bucks. It was a very nice early fall evening outside in downtown LV at the County Amphitheater. A crowd of roughly 600-700 showed up to see Sherman (bass and vocals) and Wendell (guitar, piano, and vocals) Holmes, and Popsy Dixon (drums and vocals) put on a fine show . Their music is gospel-tinged, soul-singed funky blues. Amazing three-part harmonies with Wendell's gravelly voice in the lead, Sherman's baritone and Popsy's falsetto in the upper registers around Aaron Neville territory. On a couple of tunes, they had Popsy's mike dialed in heavily with echo, making for an eery, other-worldly harmony. Popsy's drumming style was impressive as well- absolute economy of motion (understand these guys are no spring chickens), but laying down a spot-on beat that makes me wonder why so many drummers have to wear themselves out to provide an equal (or often lesser) base to hang tunes on. They closed the show with a rousing rendition of "Jesus On The Mainline" that gave everyone happy feet. A damn good show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom