Anybody Had Inguinal Hernia Repaired ?

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
How bad was the hernia? What kind of correction did they do? How did it go?

Enjoy,
Rich P

I had one done a couple years ago and the doc used fabric on mine. He asked why I'd let it go so long and I thought I was prompt as it had only been a couple years. The first couple weeks afterwards are tough. The most vital thing I had during that time was my power recliner to help me sit and stand. Also make sure you have pain meds on hand the first few days as you'll more than likely need them and they do work. The only down side to them is they slow everything else down to.
But 2 years later the little scar is completely gone and I can pick up anything without a second though. Good luck to you

Have any advice on avoiding a hernia? When I felt a pop in my shoulder (supraspinatus tendon?) when doing one handed presses with a 45 lb dumbbell, I didn't think I'd ever have a rotator cuff tear.

I've had two hernias repaired, one was an inguinal. motorstereo has good advice. It was painful for a couple of weeks, but I look at surgery as good pain that is temporary and hopefully it will leave you feeling much better in the long run. Follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. You don't want to do too much and end up having surgery to repair the first operation.

I spent 37 years in the post office with a lot of heavy lifting. When I first started, I used to unload any trucks that showed up at the loading docks. I now am very careful about lifting and I ask for help with heavy items. When you do lift, keep your back straight and use your legs to do the work.

MGNF512.jpg

I lived with one for over a year (no insurance) till I turned 65 and medicare came into effect, could not afford a $19K hospital bill so I lived with the pain. Took about 2 weeks for it to heal and now lift 100 lb. amplifiers with care and still no problems after 7 years.

Have any advice on avoiding a hernia? When I felt a pop in my shoulder (supraspinatus tendon?) when doing one handed presses with a 45 lb dumbbell, I didn't think I'd ever have a rotator cuff tear.

Doing an exercise incorrectly is how I got mine in the first place years ago. I was doing ab pulldowns with 100lbs when the damn thing popped. That was the end of that and I went to bent leg situps. Never had a problem with dumbell presses though.

I used to do a lot of weight lifting when I was younger. I never thought it could do significant damage until I developed my shoulder problem. Sometimes I get pain in my sacroiliac joints after a lot of activity. I first noticed it about 20-25 years ago after doing squats with a 70 lb barebell on my shoulders behind my head. That might have been the main contributer to the problem. When they hurt I usually wrap an elastic strap around my pelvis to hold the joints together.

Aren't there hernia braces available? I remember reading about it in one of Ernest Hemingway's books.

I have had that and an umbilical repaired. The groin one I had no idea about until I got my 50,000 mile checkup at 52. Afterwards the surgeon said it was worse than he thought, but I didn't even know.

Recovery wasn't too bad compared to other surgeries I have had. After my umbilical, I was boogie boarding in the ocean 4 days later, maybe should not have since the people on the beach were freaking out as I came out of the water with blood dripping out of my belly.

I had hernia surgery some year back. About 2 hours after the surgery, I called the nurse and asked her if she could help me to the men's room. She asked if I was in that much pain. I said no, but the doc told me not to lift anything heavy for a few weeks.

^^^ I bet you stole that from Larry the Cable Guy! :rflmao:

I had one on the lower left side of the belly (I guess that's inguinal?) but I was 2 and don't remember jack about it. :dunno:

We watch the major network's secondary stations a lot of the time to see some of the old programs (MASH, Gunsmoke, Star Trek) and the telecasts are loaded with ambulance chasing lawyer commercials. The three main ones now are hernia mesh issues, blood clot filters, and blood thinners.

I had my hernia repaired in the 50s, long before the mesh was invented. I don't know how common the failure is, but I'd check into it a little further if it were going to be used on me now. May be nothing, but worth looking into.

I had a bilateral inguinal repaired with mesh just over a year ago. Initial recovery was pretty quick; I was back at work a week later, but wasn't near 100% for about 2-1/2 months. The worst part of the whole thing were the morphine based painkillers that were prescribed. They made me itch all over and stopped me up pretty good. Not so fun 2 days after abdominal surgery, so I stopped taking them and took Ibufrofen instead.

I'm still at home from I-hernia repair, surgery was last Tuesday.
Same as you guys so far (except mine was done with robotic arms surgeon said) as to what to expect.
3 holes in the tummy - those incisions are darn tender.
Lots of bruising - tummy, genitals. Not fun looking at your junk and seeing it blackish-purple.
First two days are fairly hard. Hard to move much, hard to goto the bathroom, pain in tummy and testicles (which are swollen, BTW). So ya, painkillers for 2 to 3 days, then into the ibuprofen for 4-5 days.
Surgeon said he found a second hernia in there which I didn't know about. He fixed them both.

Bill Cosby (can we still laugh at his standup?) did a whole thing on getting a hernia as a kid when he lifted up a sewer cover to get the baseball back. Everyone thought it was so cool that he had surgery and stitches, that they all wanted to have one. "When Fat Albert got one, he knocked down five buildings! HEY HEYYY HEYYYYYYYYY!"

I had one a few years ago. That's a special kind of pain. I thought I could do without the banana hammock they sent me home in after a couple of days. That's about the time you realize why they made you wear it. I had a bad case of blue balls and didn't get it the fun way.

I had a double inguinal hernia repaired many years ago and a couple umbilical hernias repaired some years later. I found the inguinal repair a little more painful in recovery than the umbilical repairs. But the pain and discomfort was maybe a couple of weeks. I don't think I helped matters by being pretty active during recovery.

I have one scheduled for June. It is to my advantage from a scheduling standpoint but I don't know if I can wait.

As much as it is going to hurt, letting it go too long is also not a good thing. I am beginning to have "complications" as a result. The surgery will correct at least two and possibly more. I may also lose 2 ribs.

Waiting too long just means the correction is going to be more difficult and painful too. If it become strangulated, it will become a medical emergency and life threatening. It is a possibility to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom