anybody have a pioneer a-88x?

I am starting to put my first system together, and picked up an A-88x mostly because it was the cheapest thing I could find that had an input for a MM cartridge. Well it shows up last night, and everything looks great...then the problems start.

A friend had loaned me a pair of speaker cables with banana plugs so that I could listen, but I can not get the lug nuts out of the binding posts. I swear the plastic is one solid piece, and to further complicate things there is a little golden screen blocking my way in the center of the binding post.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or am I stuck with stripping some speaker wire and cramming them in the back of the binding posts?

As you unscrew the red/blk terminals there is a "Slot" exposed On the top of the binding posts to place the banana plug in each terminal. The "Lug nuts" are not fully removable:no: Place the plugs in and tighten by turning the "lugs" Very nice dual mono block amp btw...It's no slouch:music: You should do some research on the A88x..It part of the Pioneer Elite family...Not too many around

Attachments

• A88x 001.JPG
    A88x 001.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 138
  • A88x 006.JPG
    A88x 006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 126
  • A88x 008.JPG
    A88x 008.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
That's cracking me up. It never occurred to me that you could just cram the banana clips in the slots. Never thought that would work, but sure enough.:banana:

That's cracking me up. It never occurred to me that you could just cram the banana clips in the slots. Never thought that would work, but sure enough.:banana:

Yes indeed it works:thmbsp: My Yamaha M/60 power Amp is designed the same way, It looks 'Funky" but works like a charm:music: Glad you posted the results now go and enjoy your Amp:banana::banana::D

Attachments

• advent legacy 024.JPG
    advent legacy 024.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 70
I have about a year a-88x replace "old" a-209r (used aubout 6 years good powerful amp for every music). a-88x diffirient leugue , big heavy thing (i like him a lot). Extremly powerful ,use max about 1/4 of volume .Sound big , very detailed (heard music details who dont heard with old amp) natural sound , dont have boomy bass. Unforgiving amp with low priced speakers , source of sound and bad quality of music <this mix is bad idea (big distorsion ,bleeds ears :)) . With good quality parts works perfect.

i can buy A77X for 120 euros in good condition and A88X for 170 euros also perfect technical condition but with scratches on top front faceplate ........power is bigger by 20 w in a88 cuz he has 6 power transistors on each channel , a77 has 4.......i really dont know what to do , i like a77 more but a88 is top line , money is not a issue , i havent listen them , but i guess they do sound the same..........sugestions please.

well ,today went to see them , and A88x was pretty beat up ,2 knobs missing and many many scratches , overall he worked fine but cosmetic state was awful , and overall value was affected.........so i bought A77X who was very dirty but in good shape , all knobs were there , just a few fine scratches on cover , front plate perfect......took it home , clean it , deoxit on all switches , and put it in tests.......this amp has no loudness so u will need very good speakers to see what he can do , in pair with german MAGNAT ALL RIBBON 8 sounds good , clean ,natural but in pair with TECHNICS SB 4 it is a disaster , i never encountered an amplifier who is so tricky with speakers............i will keep it for sure........pics

Been looking for one of those for years...I have an a77x that I found in a
pawn shop in 93...paid $75...but i never see the 88x...

I emailed back and forth with a babe in Denmark who had one she wanted to
sell...for the cost of shipping I could have bought the country...

Anybody have an idea why those 88x amps are so hard to find????
I just bought one a week ago. I really didn't think that I could ever be so satisfied in a purchase. This reciever is top of the line in 2023. And made in 1986. What a lucky find. Just an absolute pleasure to hear.

Back
Top Bottom