Anybody heard Look Now, the Latest Elvis Costello?

Haven't heard it yet, but I intend to pick up a copy. Online reviews suggest a classic 60's pop vibe with a dash of Bacarach.

Yep, Burt kicked in some help on a couple of tunes. Not sure on how it all sounds yet as I haven't listened to it myself either. (Got it here as a download--just haven't had time to listen.)

Agreed on comments above, I picked up the LP the other day and gave it a listen. Pretty laid back but I liked it.

Still trying to get into E.C.

I have "Spike" and a best of. Any tracks I should consider as an intro to his work?

My Aim is True and This Year's Model are great along with others.

I have heard the new one. I like it, but there is too much on the wish list now.

Onwardjames, pick up My Aim Is True and This Year's Model. If you like those, I'd suggest picking the following two releases, Armed Forces and Get Happy! Quite a rang of song styles in all of these, so there's a lot to take in.

For what it's worth, Get Happy has steadily gained ground as one of my fave EC releases. The Motown/Stax-meets-punk energy combination is pretty heady stuff, not to mention some fine lyrics, of course.

I have "Spike" and a best of. Any tracks I should consider as an intro to his work?

Elvis really changed throughout his career. Spike is fairly eclectic as far as musical styles and many of the albums thereafter are pretty eclectic as well. As gmann77 said, just start to proceed chronologically through his catalog. You're "safe" through (and including) Trust.

Almost Blue, which follows Trust, is a country album of mostly covers. If you don't care for country, you may want to skip. Proceed to Imperial Bedroom, then you run into a couple of more poppy, slickly produced entries, Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World, which you can proceed to get or get back to later - to me, they're not essential albums, though some tracks are good. King of America and Blood and Chocolate are both don't miss albums, then you're back at Spike where you started.

If you've liked everything up to that point, you're probably already a fan and can continue on album by album and check out all the side trips into strings, orchestral, Bacharach, etc. If you've liked some, but not others, of the first 8-10 you've sampled, then probably good to get advice on which albums to hit next.

King Of America is one of my fave all time records by anyone. Sure it lacks the historical punch of early stuff but musically it is one tight, well made and great sounding record.

His questioning of authority is enough to give him a listen. Here's his classic song change on SNL that got him banned for years. I remember the show well.

He also pissed and moaned about having to have time constraints and you can see him watching a clock and then just stops playing when he was supposed to, whether of not song was finished (if that is the clip I believe it to be, I did not watch it but did see it live, like you). I seem to recall he would not play again more so than he was banned from playing.

Elvis really changed throughout his career. Spike is fairly eclectic as far as musical styles and many of the albums thereafter are pretty eclectic as well. As gmann77 said, just start to proceed chronologically through his catalog. You're "safe" through (and including) Trust.

Almost Blue, which follows Trust, is a country album of mostly covers. If you don't care for country, you may want to skip. Proceed to Imperial Bedroom, then you run into a couple of more poppy, slickly produced entries, Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World, which you can proceed to get or get back to later - to me, they're not essential albums, though some tracks are good. King of America and Blood and Chocolate are both don't miss albums, then you're back at Spike where you started.

If you've liked everything up to that point, you're probably already a fan and can continue on album by album and check out all the side trips into strings, orchestral, Bacharach, etc. If you've liked some, but not others, of the first 8-10 you've sampled, then probably good to get advice on which albums to hit next.
What a perfect post. You pretty much nailed it. Now I feel like I must spin Imperial Bedroom tomorrow. Forgot how great that LP is.

Sorry Bally, I have only heard clips but I liked what I heard and do plan to add it to the collection. His voice is as sharp as ever. I also plan to add the new Knopfler and new Van. These guys really hold up well.

Back
Top Bottom