Anybody here watch the Grammys?

WobblySam

I saw an ad on TV that the Grammy awards are this Sunday.
Being an old fuddy duddy, I won't be watching. I think the last time I watched was about the time Crawdaddy went out of business.
Anyone plan to tune in?

I haven't watched the Grammy's ever and even though I'm 50 now, I would have said the same thing when I was 20. Same for The Oscars, The Tonys, Miss America, Miss Boringverse and Nascar since they took out actual stock cars. :)

I haven't watched the Grammy's ever and even though I'm 50 now, I would have said the same thing when I was 20. Same for The Oscars, The Tonys, Miss America, Miss Boringverse and Nascar since they took out actual stock cars. :)

^^^^Same here, except I'm older than you are and, therefore, am a crusty old fart.

^^^^Same here, except I'm older than you are and, therefore, am a crusty old fart.

If someone actually did a real stock car race adding a roll cage, some right turns and whatever fire suppression they need, I would change my Sunday routine to watch that. How cool would it be to see Chevy up against Ford and Mopar with Tesla and the Japanese and Germans and Koreans all going at it? In cars we can actually buy.

Why would anyone want to watch it? ALL award shows are a waste of time now. Once the actors and musicians became political, it was over for me. They don't get it, that they are paid to entertain, not politic.

I usually have it on while I'm reading or doing something else, in case something catches my ear that bears further investigation.

i record it then fast forward and just watch the few artists i like preform and dont listen to any of the blah blah blah

I watched a few years back and had a hoot watching Bruno Mars -
he's got a connection to the older R&B artists I grew up watching ...
Then again, its a TV show - none of its going to go real deep anyway, and since a lot of folks watch TV as a "two screen experience" -
sort of half-watching the TV as they surf and focus on smartphone or tablet, the TV shows have to have drama or something flashy
to keep pulling viewers off their tablets and back to the TV for the advertisers.
... its about the eyeballs baby!

I'll do what I usually do - record it on the TIVO/DVR, then skim it the next day in FFWD and look for any interesting bits.
Def NOT going to sit there for 3 hours or whatever watching it in Real Time!!

If I had a TV on during the "awards shows", there is still far better shows to waste time viewing.

I watched a few years back and had a hoot watching Bruno Mars -
he's got a connection to the older R&B artists I grew up watching ...
Then again, its a TV show - none of its going to go real deep anyway, and since a lot of folks watch TV as a "two screen experience" -
sort of half-watching the TV as they surf and focus on smartphone or tablet, the TV shows have to have drama or something flashy
to keep pulling viewers off their tablets and back to the TV for the advertisers.
... its about the eyeballs baby!

I'll do what I usually do - record it on the TIVO/DVR, then skim it the next day in FFWD and look for any interesting bits.
Def NOT going to sit there for 3 hours or whatever watching it in Real Time!!

First, congrats on the moderator bump! Cool beans.

Second...that's exactly how I watch football these days. Unless it's a game that friends are over to watch and we are drinking eating and talking, I can't stand the immense length of time it takes to play 60 minutes of football. So I usually let the first half play and then start fast forwarding through all the commercials and filler. If it's a Giants game (especially this year) I can minimize the pain of watching them. Sometimes I'll watch all the plays and essentially the whole game in 15 minutes.

Tivo is still the best.

I'm ending a 7 show run on Sunday night. I'll record it and fast forward over all the crap.

Some of the groups from the last few months of shows I've worked are up for nomination. Sylvan Esso and War On Drugs are two of them.

The other thing is the audio will be the shittiest available. Nothing says "crap" like music from a TV station.

Normally I don't. I will say that I saw a Beyonce' and a Bruno Mars performance there that were quite good. Especially Beyonce's bit. Her performance was straight-up mad Soul Music- some hard hitting R&B stuff that was killin'. I don't expect emotional depth from pop music and don't blame folks for not wanting it there tbh- mainly because "Emoting" has become a stylistic affect in the same way some college professors decide to take on an accent so people will listen. It's bo-o-o-o-gus! But when the emotion is real, it elevates the craft.

Edit; Turns out the Beyonce thing I'm thinking of was the MTV music awards, which I usually don't watch either

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom