1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody hook their analog equipment up to their favorite DAC?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by fredjones, Aug 26, 2018.

1. fredjones

fredjones AK Subscriber Subscriber

This would be heresy in the turntable or tape threads, so maybe I won't be hanged here. I've got some DACs that I really enjoy the sound, and wondered. Of course it would require a good ADC to hook to the turntable.
    I have found a turntable with digital output like the project digital II. I doubt it has a decent ADC in it. Amazon sells some 15 buck line ADCs. It seems getting something audiophile quality really ramps up the cost.
    I am looking into other solutions such as the Behringer Ultramatch Pro SCR2496, but need to do some research first.

Cheers

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Lotsa folk happy with the Behringer UCA202 or 222. Performs well above it's price point at better than redbook resolution. No drivers either, so you can run it standalone. You can find one for around $20.

3. fredjones

The UCA202 is nice for recording to PC, but
    I'm looking for something with straight RCA inputs and digital out (SPDIF or toslink) so that the signal will not be run through a computer.
    So I can listen in real time.
    I have been looking for something that fits the bill without breaking the bank.

4. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

You can't just put the cartridge output into an ADC- it's way too low in amplitude and needs to be eq'd for the RIAA curve.

Turntables with a digital out run an RIAA preamp before their internal ADC.

I'm at a loss why you'd want to take a signal, boost and eq it, convert it to digital and then back to analogue again before running it into an analogue amplifier. If you were performing RIAA in the digital domain or applying some DSP to the signal I can understand.

5. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

The only reasons I see to convert to digital then back are (a) you want to run the signal through a processor such as a room correction EQ, or (b) you want to use a DAC with multiple inputs and volume control as your system control center. And as restorer-john notes, you would need a phono stage ahead of the ADC.

Bill Ferris and stish like this.
  6. phantomrebel

phantomrebel Serial Tapist Subscriber

nedseg likes this.

7. fredjones

I don't think you guys get the gist of what I am trying to do. I want an ADC (not DAC) that will send a digital signal in real time to my DAC.
    I like the way my DAC sounds and want to see how the turntable sounds going through it.
    I know most will say waste of time, and I won't disagree, but hey, I'm adventurous and want to try it out.
    Want to know if anyone else has tried this.

8. rwartner

rwartner Super Member

My Maverick DAC has analog input. What DAC do you have?

9. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

You mean like the UCA202? <G>

That has direct RCA input bypassing the USB stage AND optical out ...

[​IMG]

10. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

But of course.

11. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

IMO the below needs to be addressed

stish likes this.

12. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hmmm. Interesting concept. I use an HRT Line Streamer ADC to record vinyl sources via Audacity running on a laptop. I use RCA cables from the tape output jacks of my preamp to its input and out to the laptop with USB .

Perhaps you might connect the USB cable directly into an input on a DAC.

13. fredjones

I got a Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496 and it is just the ticket. Thanks everybody.

14. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

I run my TT into my Mytek Brooklyn. It does the RIAA digitally. Sounds quite nice, even with a very low output MC cart. It has two gain settings so can handle the low input of the MC.

15. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I only do so using an A/D when transferring analog recordings to digital media.

16. luckybaer

luckybaer n00b

My PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter is a Phono Amp and ADC. I run my turntable through it to my Gungnir MB to my Onkyo TX-8555 integrated amp. I also run my turntable through the NuWave Phono Converter and directly into my Onkyo for the analog experience.

17. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is pretty much a waste of time. If your analog stuff doesn't sound good, a graphic equalizer or some other analog signal processing might help. Proper A/D conversion involves more than just jacking an analog signal into an ADC. Input levels are critical to avoid distortion products along with proper dithering. The proper use of input filters should be considered. Not meaning to be a downer here, but the "sound" of your DAC that you like might not materialize with your digitized analog sources.

Good luck anyway