Anybody know about Avid speakers?

Can anybody tell me anyhting about Avid speakers? I am specifically refering to the model 103. It was recommended to me by someone as a good match for my Pioneer SX-737, as well as my liking for classic rock.

Thanks for the help!

Hi, Wade,
Avid made some decent speaker systems. I was only aware that they were out there, and I do know I knew several people that had Avid speakers. As to models, no I cannot recall. They seemed to use 10-incher woofers in many of their models, and the fit and finish seemed OK.
I would have as a matter of course made/thought comments about their performance in situ, but too much time, and obviously not enough of an impact for the then short-term memory to serve.
<oops, shouldn't mentioned that ;) )
If the cabs are looking sharp, and the drivers are OK, and the price is right, they should be a nice speaker.

Remember, lots of very good speakers out there, and someone with a better memory of Avid may sound a ringing endorsement.

pete
ps. if I found a pair in a thriftstore, you better believe I would grab 'em. See, I do remember the brand, and I don't remember NOT likin' 'em. Just not how 'good' I thought 'em.

Below is the 1975 spec sheet for the Avid 103 that I picked up new at the time. In my opinion, Avids were one of the best speakers for the price made in the 70's. They didn't have the bass impact of of the JBL's and Altec's I lusted after in those days. But to be honest, they were much more accurate.

I have a lasting impression of the the top-of-the-line floor standing Avid 104. At the time Sheffield Labs was just introducing their direct-to-disc recordings. I was in an audio shop looking at a the receivers on the wall shelves, when unknown to me, the dealer qued up Thelma Huston Pressure Cooker through the 104's at my back. For one of only four times in my life, I instintively turned my head around fully expecting to see a live singer. For only one or two seconds, I was competely fooled into thinking I was hearing a live performance.

I'm positive, I would not have this reaction again with these speakers since it is likely due to a rare combination of circumstances. I was not consciusly listening to what was being played and did not have the visual cue of looking at a pair of speakers to destroy the illusion. Nonetheless, the first direct-to-disk recording I had ever heard combined with a very good speaker system gave the momentary illusion that I was not listening to a recording, but rather a live performance.

Back
Top Bottom