Anybody looking at those XRT-18s ?

PanheadXR290

As the tiltle says ,is anybody looking at those Mcintosh XRT-18 line arrays on that for sale site ? Please somebody buy them & save me from myself ,has anyone seen them yet ? IDK what forum rules are on this subject so I'm treading lightly .

The pair in Ohio, or the ones in San Diego?
The latter have been listed, and re-listed, for ages, and are a little less than the pair in the midwest. Both a little overpriced, IMO.

I have pointed those SD pair to a few. They would make excellent surrounds sides or rears. If I did not have XR19s in that role or more room for floor or standing rears I would entertain them.

Right now i am full up on McIntosh speakers.

We all know auction price isn't sale price ,seems like me & 1 other guy are the only ones whove emailed the Ohio seller for pics & made offers ,the Ohio pair has white paint drops on stands cabinets & cloumns that will clean right off ,oh how I love latex paint on McIntosh lol

I have pointed those SD pair to a few. They would make excellent surrounds sides or rears. If I did not have XR19s in that role or more room for floor or standing rears I would entertain them.

Right now i am full up on McIntosh speakers.

Same here ,I could actually use them " Ohio pair " as side surrounds but I think it would be Overkill with 28s as fronts,22s as rears & 18s as surrounds ,plus my wife wants her Klipsch Heresys back in her Bdrm system so that gives me my little awesome XL-1 bookshelves to use as surrounds ,aside from some white paint on the oak the 18s look good in the pics the seller emailed me ,no gouges on cabinets & no splitting on the oak columns ,I made him an offer reflecting current filthy condition of $1k ,if I end up with them I'll most likely give them a complete resto and put them back out for sale world wide ,Japanese McIntosh collectors will pay $5k for clean XRT-18s ,i was hoping a member wanting the line array listening experience would want them to complete their system ,in the price range I don't know of any speaker that bests the 18s for clarity but a 30 year old speaker system scares alot of people .

Same here ,I could actually use them " Ohio pair " as side surrounds but I think it would be Overkill with 28s as fronts,22s as rears & 18s as surrounds ,plus my wife wants her Klipsch Heresys back in her Bdrm system so that gives me my little awesome XL-1 bookshelves to use as surrounds ,aside from some white paint on the oak the 18s look good in the pics the seller emailed me ,no gouges on cabinets & no splitting on the oak columns ,I made him an offer reflecting current filthy condition of $1k ,if I end up with them I'll most likely give them a complete resto and put them back out for sale world wide ,Japanese McIntosh collectors will pay $5k for clean XRT-18s ,i was hoping a member wanting the line array listening experience would want them to complete their system ,in the price range I don't know of any speaker that bests the 18s for clarity but a 30 year old speaker system scares alot of people .

I have yet to hear the XRT18. I would think the LDHP woofer would be great for snaller to mid size room. Also in a Line Array HT set up Good luck.

I have yet to hear the XRT18. I would think the LDHP woofer would be great for snaller to mid size room. Also in a Line Array HT set up Good luck.

I love the XRT-18s ,while not having the balls of the 19s ,20s or 22s they still image insanely well ,the woofers would never give me great bass at low to moderate listening levels without getting into the loudness contour on my C-38 preamp ,i drove them with a 7270 at 1st until I got the MC-300 , if 18s are the 1st McIntosh line array you hear you'd of fell in love ,but after you know what your 19s and 290s are calable of those little suckers have some big shoes to fill ,still I hope he takes my offer .

I`ve had my pair since 1993, or 4, purchased showroom display, used, and offered to me from my A/V dealer, and installed in my master bedroom, and coupled with the 2 Velodyne ULD 15 powered subs placed just to the outside of each 18, to give the weak bottom end a boost rounded out the sound, quite nicely.
Love `em. !
That system is turned on every morning and during, what we call winter here, often run all day as a additional HQ back ground music.

They seem to be very happy being fed with a couple of 2006 purchased MC 1201`s, especially after upgrading from the 2 Crown mono`d DC-300`s, that proceeded them .

A dedicated 10gage 120v,20amp breaker feed seem to be the icing on the cake, in that system, and a C-220 preamp upgrade about 5 years ago didn`t hurt the SQ either.
A few years back, had to have the mids, and woofers re-foamed, and the Velodyne`s 15`s later on, as well.

The ~150lb ea. 1201`s sit on the subs, and I had to get my much younger buff friends. to do the heavy lifting for me !

I never though I'd like the 18 after hearing the 20 and 22. But I installed a few and using a MQ 104 or 7 I was always very surprised at the result. They weren't in your face with sound like the 22 or 290. But they had an easy but well defined listening quality the big pure line arrays didn't have in average rooms. I loved the XR-7, but in most instances I preferred the 18 unless playing Telarc with the ground shaking special effects. Then give me a pair of stacked ML-4's. I have XRT 28's now and am very happy. But if I had another small room I just might want the a pair of 18's. But you need the MQ 107 just like I do for the XRT 28's. And make sure have a nice 200 watt Mac amp with Power guard for them, too. I imagine the MC 152 would be a great choice or if you like tubes a MC 1502. But a 275 is hard to beat if you are a tube lover. Use it in mono and add a second. But make sure its one of the previous models with 16 ohm taps so if you do go mono you can deliver the proper voltage to the speakers in the mono mode.

There are two pairs for sale right now on metro Detroit craigs list. Guy seems to be asking a little too much for them, but they have been for sale for over a month and he may be ready to move them.

-Geoff

Back
Top Bottom