Anybody real bored? Wacky Binaural Demonstration from 1980’s

Doity

I recently came into contact with a guy locally that inherited a large music library from a friend who ran a music review publication. He had inherited a massive library of media in pretty much every format, but I was primarily interested in the audiophile cassettes that he had. I found tapes that I had been looking for for years now, and they literally were right in my own backyard.

Anyway, he at first mentioned that this guy was big into ‘Binaural’ recordings. I had heard the term but was not that familiar with it like I am with Quad and Surround. I scooped up quite a few Binaural cassettes that were issued on cassette, most you could tell were small batch projects but quite a few were put out by big name companies such as EMI, etc.

One caught my eye and it was a joint effort between Luxman and Alpine and the front cover looked pretty cool. It has a real 1980’s vibe to it and it covers the journeys of a robot named ‘Laz’ as he takes in the sights and sounds of everyday human experiences. I could not find this on YouTube or referenced anywhere else so I thought I would transfer to digital and upload to YouTube. It came out well as the original recording was done onto chrome tape, digital master, etc.

Let me know what you think, and you really need headphones to appreciate the Binaural effects:

Not exactly the same but this brings to my mind the Aureal A3D sound for computers back in the 90s. Real 3d sound using only 2 channels. (Achieved with speakers or headphones using HRTF --head related transfer function? ) There's information and demo vids to be found on the net/YouTube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom