Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

My Yamaha CR-820 I just purchased from CL, I DeOx'd the pots, but that is it. It had been in a closet for 17 years and looked like it came right out of the box. I know it should get a recap and it will eventually...

Last edited:
Sony STR-6036A receiver - 1973
Criterion Mark VII receiver 1979

The Criterion is in need of a recap but the Sony is amazing as it is.

I have a Sansui 7070 that was bought by a friend of mine in 1978, used until about 1980, and then was stored in his basement ever since. It is 100% original, unrestored, and sounds great. It is also probably the best 7070 you will ever see cosmetically, as there is literally not a scratch on it, and all the corners are tack sharp. It's still like it just came off the showroom floor in 1978.

I also own a Luxman L-30 (see my user pic) that is unrestored, although I don't listen to it much anymore. It was my first real piece of audio gear back when I was about 21 years old. I'd like to eventually get it restored though, as it has sentimental value and it is a great looking piece IMO. This model can easily be tweaked for better performance too. This one is in fantastic cosmetic condition as well.

BGW 500D, 250C and 7500 Proline II. I recently recapped my 750B. My Polk SDA-1's are very nearly 30 years old and my JBL L100's are over 40 years old with nothing done to them.

Yamaha CR2040, bought new in 1978, still works, but only as an integrated amp for now, until I decide to re-thread the tuner, and fix the leds, and one of the amp meters that quit on me. I think I will get around to doing it, but my other stuff keeps me happy for now.

A few of my ADS speakers are that old, the butyl surrounds and good amplification has been benficial.

The death of 40 year old gear is highly exaggerated.

My motto is " If it is not broke, don't fix it".

"Recap" is the most over used word on AK.

Much gear has spent most of 40 years unused in air conditioned storage.

There is too much 40 yr old gear still running to list.

Charlie

Last edited:
My 1975 Pioneer SX-636 is about 98% factory. Only thing that's been changed on it is the fuse type bulbs for the tuning dial. It functions and is listenable, but definitely needs a professional tune-up though as the right channel is cleaner sounding than the left. It's probably got a couple of caps on their last leg and some transistors in need of replacing.

My Technics SA-200 is pretty darn close to completely factory as well. Last year, I had to change a transistor in the tuner. Filter caps might need replacing eventually. I can hear a slight bit of 60hz hum through my headphones when idle.

Last edited:
Out of old 4 amps/receivers that have been through the door, only 1 is un-restored/original; Yamaha CR-620. Sounds very good.
Two of them (Marantz) are not functioning and need more work than I am willing to do, and the 4th is a totally re-capped '72 Pioneer SX-727 that's one of the best sounding amps I own...including modern amps costing >$2.5K.

My Scott LK48 has been recapped and the selenium bias bridge rectifier upgraded.
My 4100 Mac is unrestored, has been repaired in the power supply..sounds good to me.
I am running my unrestored Yamaha B-1, same as the Mac it has been worked on at some point..I did have it serviced, check bias..etc and nothing was out of wack, it does deserve a resto in the near future due to it's rarity and unobtanium vfets.
My tech doesn't believe everything needs a resto/recap..even though it would be in his financial interest. Some caps though do have a lifespan and sometimes good to deal with weak links that will take out bigger sections..Im thinking my B1 which sounds fantastic..but what if.
I did have my Threshold pre recapped on the recommendation of the designer regarding the Tantalum caps.
JM2C

Out of old 4 amps/receivers that have been through the door, only 1 is un-restored/original; Yamaha CR-620. Sounds very good.
Two of them (Marantz) are not functioning and need more work than I am willing to do, and the 4th is a totally re-capped '72 Pioneer SX-727 that's one of the best sounding amps I own...including modern amps costing >$2.5K.

It the SX-727 cost $500 that would be around $2800 today, so comparing your >$2.5K unit to the old Pioneer is a apples to apples kind comparison for price. Cool the old gal is winning. Not really sure about the inflation calculator for electronics though. Electronics has not gone up like other items that the calculator is based on. The prices have kept way down due to automation/SMT, etc.

I'm running a set of Nova 8b speaks from 1977(?) in my living room. The only change was to add silk dome tweeters in 1989 (sold by the 'Shack).
I only replaced them because it seemed like a good idea then. The originals worked (and I believe I still have them).
Do they count?

They're powered by an unrestored STA-78.

(borrowed pic)
414924-realistic_stereo_receiver_sta78_will_post_pics_later_on_today.jpg

Last edited:
Just added a Yamaha M-4 amp to go along with my C-4 pre. All stock, as far as I know, and sounding phenomenal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom