Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

Lately I've been running a Sansui TU-717 tuner that is all original and fully functional except for one bulb.
Sounds pretty darn nice, too!
My Kenwood KD-850 turntable is all original as well, but to be honest, it could stand a tune-up.
Good luck finding someone in my neck of the woods that's up to that task!!!

I have a Scott am/fm stereo receiver amp r327 that never been touched. It does need a bulb in the scale and the antenna is broken, still works well with rabbit ears, sounds sweet with the kirksaeter 130 monitors.

I have a Sansui AU-D7 integrated amp running Polk Monitor 10s that are all untouched. Everything else I had from the 80s has died and been resurrected.

I have a set in the living room from the 60's or 70's...Its one of those wooden cabinet things. It says JBL on the back and looks funny but shakes the house!

I guess this one fits the bill.
1980 Kenwood KR720 in my second living room.
The only work is an LED bulb refit for the tuning pointer and rebalance the DC offset.

(borrowed pic)
83676-vintage_kenwood_kr720_hispeed8482_dc_stereo_receiver.jpg

Oh, and these too in various areas of my houses (pics are borrowed):

Technics SL1500
technics_sl-1500_top.jpg

Marantz 2230
marantz_2230_front_panel.jpg

Akai 220
akai_gx-220d_stereo_tape_deck.jpg

Minimus 7s (in white, silver, black and walnut)
minimus%207w%20(640x477).jpg

Technics SA310
409721-project_units_sherwood_cdc3010r_bic_960_turntable_technics_sa310_stereo_receiver.jpg

Last edited:
HK A-401, HK A-402, and Pioneer SA-608, in daily use. All date from 77-79 or so and all are unrestored originals bar occasional pot cleaning and some minor repairs. The A-401 needed a speaker lead resoldered on the main amp board and the A-402 needed the turn-on muting transistor replaced.

Trac a2300 sd

hi everyone I am a new member to the forum.I wanted to join because of the knowledge I have read here.the teac I have works great after cleaning and oiling the unit I remember my grandfather when he purchased it in 1976 he went as far as putting stickers on the back like when it was purchased and from where .now I use emtec sm 468 tape and it sounds great recording off CD.next I would love to find a bic turntable that was part of the system I remember from the 1970s

Many years without touching this equip. Now I'm restoring all that need it, but it will take some time, a long time. My ToDo list (quite a list here).....

Sony TTS-3000, replaced bushings, lubed, works well
borrowed Onkyo A-5, cleaned pots balance control was spotty, DC offset good, works well
DQ-10, refoamed, cleaned, need to mirror image and recap, otherwise works well
Rectilinear III, nice cabs, works well, but need to recap likely
Denon DCM370 CD player, works well
AR-2ax, was done when I bought it, need to adjust grill

Teac A2300s, needs checking, takeup reel not working last I checked
AR-4x, needs pot cleanup as no tweeter sound now
Heath AR-15, unrestored, I know there are some problems
Yamaha CR-2020, needs service mods, not checked yet
NAD 2150 basic amp, not sure it is working
DQ electronic crossover, not sure it is working

Rabco SL-8, needs checking
Denon 103, needs checking
DQ subwoofer, needs checking
Revox A77, needs checking
Shure V-15 Mk II Improved, needs checking
borrowed Miida T3115/Grado cart, needs checking
ADS Model 10, needs checking

Last edited:
accuphase e202 amp relay replaced 3 times since birth, deoxit cleaned up pots. Jbl l80 speakers all original. Technics turntables just serviced.

Pioneer SX1000TW that I bought from the original owner a few months ago. As far as I can tell everything works perfectly even though they we first sold in the late 60s. Beautiful sounding old receiver, but I couldn't see myself spending possibly hundreds to have it restored after having only spent $25 on it.

Still original. Had the TT looked at and it didn't need service. Some pieces are needing a bit of PM, especially the CD player that currently is inop.

Attachments

• 20150820_204438.jpg
    20150820_204438.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 15
Great thread. I'm going to use CPR on it for a second. Using it is the best preventive maintenance you can provide and it costs nothing. "Restored" is a loaded term. I clean/lube/check everything and if it doesn't start squawking with a few selected test tones, I leave "it" (whatever it is) alone. But if it starts frying eggs or hissing with a 1kHz test tone I have been known to replace the occasional Transistor and/or Cap, IF both are available. I've always been (and I will remain in) the "Sleeping Dogs Lie" camp. YMMV...

Yes! :biggrin:

Yamaha CR 2020---Luxman L-410
Sansui XP-99---------Luxman L-430
KEF 104ab---------Luxman PD-277
Stax SR-40--------Yamaha NS 690-----NS 70T

Never have restored any of my solid state gear, not against it, just haven't needed to.

Though I feel too many over-restorations alter the original voicing.

EDIT: Though I'm sure my solid state gear from 60s and 70s would benefit from some conservative preventative maintenance - adjusting bias, measuring and replacing out of spec components. In most cases I don't think wholesale gutting and replacement of all capacitors is necessary or desirable, especially on high end pieces that used quality components originally. And replacing non-wear items like film caps or output transistors is just silly.

Last edited:
dozens of peices here ....10 or more nikko separates brystons lots of a/d/s speakers polk monitor 10s wharfedales b&w Dozens more....

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom