Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

yes ,
B&K EX-442 amp I bought new in 1989 or '90 ...
Had the offset and bias calibrated two weeks ago - only time it's ever been in the shop ....
Tech said it was working as it should ...

Also a PS Audio 4.6 preamp , owned since new .... it is untouched ...

Use both daily to power patio Boston Acoustics Voyager 70 speakers

Bk

I put it on the shelf last year, but up to then my JVC R-S77 was is daily use since 1980. Great receiver.
Im very impressed with the sound quality of my R-S77 but I'm not sure where I'm going to get the replacement slider from, I have tried all the sights I can think of but without luck, its a shame the last owner had a go at it himself because he has done more damage.

Im very impressed with the sound quality of my R-S77 but I'm not sure where I'm going to get the replacement slider from, I have tried all the sights I can think of but without luck, its a shame the last owner had a go at it himself because he has done more damage.
Keep scouring fleabay for a parts unit. The sliders were also used on the RS-33. I see them cheap all the time.

My best/oldest unrestored unit is an Allied 395 receiver.
It sounds great as-is.
But that is not likely to last.

Nearly everything else that I have has been gone through.

Sure, Marantz 27 receiver, Original Large Advents (oops, replaced foam woofer surrounds), Pioneer RT-701 Reel to Reel tape deck, Pioneer Pl 112D turntable, Dual 1019 turntable, Lenco L75 turntable. I did replace the tweeter wire on my Magnepan MG I Imp.

I've got a Technics SA-5170 doing basement duty that's never been touched. FM still sounds great on it.

I wonder about some of the stuff mentioned by early respondents to this ancient thread.

And I don’t know what is meant by “restored”. If it means “maintained” or “repaired”, then for me the answer is I have many items older than that that haven’t been restored. If it means recapping )except speakers) or updating things like op-amps, then I haven’t done any of that. If it means bringing something bought dead back to pristine, then I don’t do that, either.

I did replace a couple of relays in my 35-year-old SAE equalizer. Nothing older than that has gone unserviced, and that includes a Thorens TT, and many cleaned pots. The only capacitors I’ve replaced were in my 42-year-old Advent speakers, and I think only one of four actually needed it. (Of course, all the foam has been replaced, and several damaged drivers, too). All belts that predate about 2000 have been replaced. I don’t put any of that in the category of “restoration”.

Rick “whose equipment was all bought approximately working and then maintained” Denney

Commonwealth 12D transcription turntable from the early 1960s. Built so well it doesn't need touching (have lubed it though, but that's maintaining, not restoring). Am considering making a new plinth though - is that restoring?

All 30+ Now....
2x DBX 14/10's
3x Sony CDP-707ESD's
1x DAS-R1 (I built it, it's in the DAS-703ES Chassis)
1x Sony TA-N77ES
1x Yamaha TX-80
cGRp7AvTVf--ip9qYJfCeCVQ934og5rK3fx1bc-aKE02NFPol2PaQAtnRUecl5nM9hAIRbGmUw9sJaSPvGlr4d45e5PhX9AAM5iSRvpHVJp-YsdyvE_Nrelq-RasUz2O3feVf6AqMbw=w2400

6chvqL6g0SaYhXUn4YNI9GneAtYSNqGGk7yqAiznk9d0Agc7bwwokV1cNzNLttDdg8evs56hQ4VfN2vQBO02v7hcwyMlNxv5GTCm_rLSF40RYrT0WHF2YweUq3dHuSQ-mGCsklip7OU=w2400

xTF0DV3jz_tEVQtNKiEzTl8-v6uRaCqaHIfhDeT_UJm0FfKqrQoH8qGX_hJDz9lu-Kb78YEL2Ma88YCtkKs7qz9aewJKq0xueKDxqPGRC0rAc-6JQ-qGRAPAIWflBxiBgxuMAFIBjD8=w2400

xIBIzf0lGXZZTyaOBNk0Uemj0tQIfmG3qn4lg4TMjMYtxNdX4msMVvbBAxFsElUiqwkTF2oGPdz1yTpUTJhE1hJmjLu8SuNHbTpyXtXanYkC5ewqBx6lwmUQ0P5JXGjKABZULJpzfUY=w2400

Both piles of junk in action:

^^Master clock (Apogee) from the main system feeding the D/A in the mini-system on the right...Both sync locked. Old junk still works....

Back
Top Bottom