Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

My JBL 120Tis are 30+ years old and it hasn't been restored. I still couldn't find any flaws in its sound, but I'm going to restore nonetheless just to be safe.

I have the following receivers that are 30+ years old and still sound fine. Only service has been cleaning controls and replacing lamps.

Technics SA-500
Quadraflex Reference 300R
Realistic STA-800

Of all of my equipment, I have only recapped my G9000 and KLH Six crossovers. All else is in the 30+ year category and untouched.

Elac PW50H turntable, untouched except for a drop of oil now and then. Teac 4010s deck, couple belts over the years, drop of oil occasionally too. Bought both in 1969. This qualify?

Thanks for this thread, I was starting to feel bad for just using the old stuff without replacing all the caps and stuff.

Using Technics SB-M5 speakers, Sl-1300 TT, some other old speakers with no work.

They work fine and sound OK to me, plus I don't have the time to restore.

I have 2 Technics 8075 amps sitting in the closet because they have issues and I don't have the time nor skills to try repairing them.

We always hear about the need or desire to recap which is only sometimes acyually needed. It almost reminds me of how liberally advice is give to Deoxit all the time.

When I was in the Navy we got PM's (preventative maint.) jobs to perform like greasing, meggaring etc. I remember getting a PM to bebuild an outboard engine that was a year old and got run maybe 10 minutes a week (because of another PM). Given the complexity of an outboard coupled with varying levels of skill depending on the sailor, why on earth would you want to mess with it?

Edit: Although I wouldn't advocate recapping without reason, I certainly understand why others feel it's the right course of action.

Last edited:
My 1963 Bang & Olufsen Grand Prix Moderne 610 is still 100% original; dusted it off inside a couple of years ago, nothing else.

I have had a couple of Beogram 4000-series linear tracking turntables that just needed some lubrication for the arm lowering system, saved about five different turntables from the scrapyard doing just that. It was in 2010-2011 and the newest turntable was at least 30 years old.

I frequently use a Beocord 1800 open reel tape deck that I found in original untouched condition for $2. Heads are like new and the Pabst motor is still strong, the deck is at least 45 years old by now.

There's a 1982 Nakamichi LX-3 I just bought for $60 which "sounded weird". Adjusted the speed with a test tape and a guitar tuner and azimuth by ear. Belts had been replaced somewhere in the 00's but everything else looks original; sounds good!

All the time.

It's one thing if you want to tinker or is your profesion and another if you have to pay for service.

With my older gear that doesent cost all that much in the first place $300-$400. I can deox-it and thats it, i'm not going to put more money into it as it doesen't make sence. The value of the piece will stay the same regardles as long as it works.

Now with my main system that has changed over the years, some new some 25 years old. The value of the pieces $4000-$6000, if something needs service then it would warrent it.

IMO if you take a piece that sounds good and working, then recap and do a big resto. Unless you do a A/B side by side witch is impossible you cant tell you improved the unit in SQ.

Mc MA 5100, flawless survivor, sound is just the way I think it sould be besides I don't have the nerve to start basterdizing it. Play on. Tj.

None of my gear has been restored. Some of it has been repaired, but just what was needed. The Onkyo receivers are built like tanks, the only time they have had the covers off was to Deoxit switches and pots. Most of the speakers have had surrounds replaced.

None of my stuff has been restored. My Basic M2 Amp and C1 preamp are both over 30 as are my optimus 21 speakers. Also my KA-405 Integrated Amp and my KR-9050 Receiver

This is the first time I've seen so many accounts of people who are happily running their unrestored audio gear. I thought I was just really lucky in that regard and now I see it's far, far more common than I imagined.

There is no shortage of threads and posts about broken gear and folks who need help to fix their gear. This is to be expected as AK likely has the greatest concentration of stereo knowlege and tech's in one place.

It makes me wonder if this environment doesn't foster the perception that old gear should be recapped/restored simply because of it's age. How many people have developed their inclination to recap/restore in part, due to this unique environment?

I am using a Mcintosh C26 preamp that has not been restored. Only thing I have done is clean the controls. If it's not broke don't fix it.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom