Anybody Watching Forged in Fire?

bobsvinyl

Painfully Aware
I never knew much about blacksmithing so I decided to watch an episode of Forged In Fire, a new reality show, and I am enjoying it. You have to be an artist, scientist, metal expert and strongman all rolled into one. Not easy work and so many things can go wrong. The time limit to create a weapon is crazy.

It has things I don't like about it which seems to fit most reality shows for me, but overall I'm hooked. I ended up doing a marathon one day and watched 5 shows in a row.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the metal working but the manufactured drama is very off-putting.

( That is the problem with most of the "Reality" shows, IMO)

I like it.

I find the nuts and bolts (heating and beating) very interesting. The drama, not so much.

Some of the contestants are true artists and master craftsmen.

In general I like the show but there is too much project redundancy. How many times has the first round been a camp chopper/Bowie/BFK? The other thing that drives me nuts is to see someone beating a dull red piece of steel to death. My blacksmithing teacher (George Martell) had one phrase uttered over & over, "GET IT HOT!". That meant yellow/red-to-yellow for forging as the steel is most plastic then and less likely to stress crack later (like during tempering).

Those picayuney comments aside I'll say this, the ability to forge, temper, finish, and handle a blade in 3 hours is an incredible feat. I like the ones where they have to pull parts from a lawnmower, vehicle, or junk pile. It's one thing to forge a blade from known & straight tool steel and quite another to do that with a scrap spring or lawnmower blade. It takes a fair amount of talent to unwind a spring then get a section into shape suitable for forging further. Then the ones that actually manage to pull off a Damascus forging is even more incredible in the short time allotted. Granted there are some great labor savers on hand such as the hydraulic press & power hammer but 3 hours is nearly no time at all. I am frankly amazed at what some have been able to pull off in that short time.

In general I like the show but there is too much project redundancy. How many times has the first round been a camp chopper/Bowie/BFK? The other thing that drives me nuts is to see someone beating a dull red piece of steel to death. My blacksmithing teacher (George Martell) had one phrase uttered over & over, "GET IT HOT!". That meant yellow/red-to-yellow for forging as the steel is most plastic then and less likely to stress crack later (like during tempering).

Those picayuney comments aside I'll say this, the ability to forge, temper, finish, and handle a blade in 3 hours is an incredible feat. I like the ones where they have to pull parts from a lawnmower, vehicle, or junk pile. It's one thing to forge a blade from known & straight tool steel and quite another to do that with a scrap spring or lawnmower blade. It takes a fair amount of talent to unwind a spring then get a section into shape suitable for forging further. Then the ones that actually manage to pull off a Damascus forging is even more incredible in the short time allotted. Granted there are some great labor savers on hand such as the hydraulic press & power hammer but 3 hours is nearly no time at all. I am frankly amazed at what some have been able to pull off in that short time.

I haven't watched this show, but I don't really mind arbitrary time limits set on reality "competition" shows, as long as they're not doing it for some obviously made-up reason (no one tries to get a show car built in a few weeks, for instance). If they're just saying "we want to see if you can do this in the time allowed," fine.

This is my friend Ryu Lim, one of the early Forged In Fire Champions. He learned his craft in various blacksmith forges in the Philippines when he was just a youngster. It`s a good skill to have, you can fabricate just about anything from metal.

upload_2017-4-21_16-50-51.png

upload_2017-4-21_16-52-3.png

I really enjoy the metal working but the manufactured drama is very off-putting.

I'm only on season 2 but haven't noticed any real drama between the contestants. They typically will have some sort of blade issue that increases the time crunch but seeing how they deal with that is one of the interesting things.

So far this show has had some of the best contestants for attitude that I've seen on any show.

Plus I really like the judges. "It will kill"

In general I like the show but there is too much project redundancy. How many times has the first round been a camp chopper/Bowie/BFK?

That is an issue, with the limited time they have in the first challenge the knives have to be somewhat basic. Trying something more complex can lead to the risk of going home when your's isn't as finished when the clock runs out. Plus the test tend to make big solid knives a better design choice. The varied materials and construction requirements can add at least some variety to it.

I haven't watched this show, but I don't really mind arbitrary time limits set on reality "competition" shows, as long as they're not doing it for some obviously made-up reason (no one tries to get a show car built in a few weeks, for instance). If they're just saying "we want to see if you can do this in the time allowed," fine.

I agree, when it is a preset time limit as a contest it may not end up showing what the best knife maker can do without a time crunch but I do think your skill level has to be higher to produce a quality product in a shorter time. And I also agree, it doesn't bother me like the "We have to build this for a 'real' customer and we only have 1 week" that so many reality shows do.

oh reality show, no thanks.

I put reality competition shows in a different group from regular reality shows. Especially competition shows where the people don't live together and interact for long periods (top shot crosses into regular reality TV a lot). If the cameras are just following the people in what is supposed to be their regular day hoping to find drama then it is really a lightly scripted show where most everything that happens is planned and setup ahead of time. And then edited to increase the drama and control the story.

On competition reality shows they aren't pretending that the camera's aren't there or that "Oh, this customer just came in with this for me out of the blue"

On this show you get to see some incredibly talented artist/craftsmen make impressive knives in a short amount of time. Sure, there is 'drama' when they run into an issue in the process but I haven't seen an episode yet where the drama was between the contestants themselves. It has always been between the contestant and the metal.

Yes, contestants get sent home as the show progresses but who would watch sports if nobody lost? Football with no score keeping? Nascar with no finish line? Downhill skiing without a timer?
Sure, the better knife maker may go home because they ran into an issue that the other guy didn't but every competition and every sport has those.

Technically any sports event is a 'reality show'. People watch them to see how the contestants do and how they handle what comes along. Sure, we don't see every moment of the contest (It would be cool if they'd put that online sometimes) so things get left out that could affect who we root for but I haven't seen any sniping between contestants here where the producers could guide the end product to show one as being in the right when they weren't. I've seen good natured ribbing, compliments and even help between contestants though.

Last edited:
That is an issue, with the limited time they have in the first challenge the knives have to be somewhat basic. Trying something more complex can lead to the risk of going home when your's isn't as finished when the clock runs out. Plus the test tend to make big solid knives a better design choice. The varied materials and construction requirements can add at least some variety to it.

Tomahawk, spear head, war hammer, frog gig, chisel, froe... Most of those have less metal than the BFKs and the title is Forged in Fire after all. Forging skill is primary.

The time constraint should showcase their efficiency in moving metal around. It's really about their skills & working under pressure.

I dig the show - binge watch back to back episodes on Discovery.

Some of the smiths are known names - so you'd think it's a slam dunk for them to get into the last round.

Not so.

Steel don't lie.

Hey
I watch it a quite a bit. I do enjoy it, but some of the crazy weapons they build at home don't do much for me. Although sometimes you see a smith's talent come to the surface at their home forge.
The downside of this show is I've started buying knives again. Eric

Attachments

• 20170427_152413.jpg
    20170427_152413.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
THINK It's not the same but if you insist then so be it!

I guess it is all a matter of what entertains you. Reading and posting on this site is mostly entertainment as is watching a TV show. If reading/writing about what tape someone is playing right now or what the heaviest speaker they've had is entertainment and watching someone turn a chunk of a car into a knife isn't then to each their own.

And if we are talking outdated ways to do things then most of what is on this site is outdated but preserved by people that enjoy it. Much like forging ones own knives.

It just made me chuckle to see a reel to reel player as an avatar next to a post about something being outdated.

Last edited:
I'm only on season 2 but haven't noticed any real drama between the contestants. They typically will have some sort of blade issue that increases the time crunch but seeing how they deal with that is one of the interesting things.

So far this show has had some of the best contestants for attitude that I've seen on any show.

Plus I really like the judges. "It will kill"

I agree, when it is a preset time limit as a contest it may not end up showing what the best knife maker can do without a time crunch but I do think your skill level has to be higher to produce a quality product in a shorter time. And I also agree, it doesn't bother me like the "We have to build this for a 'real' customer and we only have 1 week" that so many reality shows do.

I put reality competition shows in a different group from regular reality shows. Especially competition shows where the people don't live together and interact for long periods (top shot crosses into regular reality TV a lot). If the cameras are just following the people in what is supposed to be their regular day hoping to find drama then it is really a lightly scripted show where most everything that happens is planned and setup ahead of time. And then edited to increase the drama and control the story.

On competition reality shows they aren't pretending that the camera's aren't there or that "Oh, this customer just came in with this for me out of the blue"

On this show you get to see some incredibly talented artist/craftsmen make impressive knives in a short amount of time. Sure, there is 'drama' when they run into an issue in the process but I haven't seen an episode yet where the drama was between the contestants themselves. It has always been between the contestant and the metal.

Yes, contestants get sent home as the show progresses but who would watch sports if nobody lost? Football with no score keeping? Nascar with no finish line? Downhill skiing without a timer?
Sure, the better knife maker may go home because they ran into an issue that the other guy didn't but every competition and every sport has those.

Technically any sports event is a 'reality show'. People watch them to see how the contestants do and how they handle what comes along. Sure, we don't see every moment of the contest (It would be cool if they'd put that online sometimes) so things get left out that could affect who we root for but I haven't seen any sniping between contestants here where the producers could guide the end product to show one as being in the right when they weren't. I've seen good natured ribbing, compliments and even help between contestants though.

I have to admit, I always watch Ellen's Design Challenge and both the Great British and Great American Baking Shows.

Back
Top Bottom