anyone been disappointed with their Crites upgrades?

thedudedigs

I've heard tons of people who rave about how Bob Crites' titanium upgrades have taken their Klipsch gear to new levels. I've never heard upgraded gear. But I've also heard one guy (a guy I personally know and trust) say that he witnessed an upgrade take place live and everyone quietly concurred that the "before" was noticeably better than the after (when the owner of the "upgraded" gear wasn't privy to their conversations).

It seems that I'd upgrade one speaker and listen a/b with the other stock speaker (I'm sure someone out there has done this). If so, how did they compare?

I've heard tons of people who rave about how Bob Crites' titanium upgrades have taken their Klipsch gear to new levels. I've never heard upgraded gear. But I've also heard one guy (a guy I personally know and trust) say that he witnessed an upgrade take place live and everyone quietly concurred that the "before" was noticeably better than the after (when the owner of the "upgraded" gear wasn't privy to their conversations).

It seems that I'd upgrade one speaker and listen a/b with the other stock speaker (I'm sure someone out there has done this). If so, how did they compare?
I replaced the crossovers and the tweeter diaphragms simultaneously and the results were significant. I can't say whether the improvement was more from one part or the other, but the overall difference is significant and was well worth doing. Might be different depending on which speaker model is in question, mine are the Forte. One should also allow some time to pass before passing any judgement on the results.

I replaced the crossovers and the tweeter diaphragms simultaneously and the results were significant. I can't say whether the improvement was more from one part or the other, but the overall difference is significant and was well worth doing. Might be different depending on which speaker model is in question, mine are the Forte. One should also allow some time to pass before passing any judgement on the results.
Thanks for the input. I'm about to get a set of stock KLF-30s. I'm sure to be pleased with the stock versions, but I'm a restless gear-monger, and being right down the road from Bob Crites, I'll probably want to tinker even if I'm happy with stock performance.

I upgraded the diaphragms on a pair of KG-4's and was underwhelmed. I was lucky to recoup my cost when I sold them.

Thanks for the input. I'm about to get a set of stock KLF-30s. I'm sure to be pleased with the stock versions, but I'm a restless gear-monger, and being right down the road from Bob Crites, I'll probably want to tinker even if I'm happy with stock performance.

I've been very hsppy with the Crites Ti diaphragms in my KG4s. I think they're smoother and more extended than the OEM polyamides. That said, I didn't do the crossovers with Crites, but rather, I replaced the original electrolytic capacitors. They presently reside in my vintage system and are driven by a Pioneer SX-1250. Also, my little HK PM645 integrated amp was excellent with the KG4s when I had them at my office.

But I've also heard one guy (a guy I personally know and trust) say that he witnessed an upgrade take place live and everyone quietly concurred that the "before" was noticeably better than the after (when the owner of the "upgraded" gear wasn't privy to their conversations).
o_O

I myself once witnessed a live upgrade. I chose to install the Crite's x-over, regular mids diaphragms, and the Ti tweeter diaphragms in my ~35 year old Chorus IIs and well, I like them. :thumbsup: :rflmao:

Wait what was the question again? :idea:

You don't say what speakers your considering modifying, but if its heritage speakers do you really want to be messing with Mr. pw klipsch's original intent?

My opinion is if you change drivers in the heritage speakers then you now have a Frankenstein pair of klipsch speaker for better or worse. Where on the other hand refreshing the crossovers with new components is basic maintenance that is necessary when your talking about 30+ year old capacitors. And if you splurge on crites crossovers, rest assured that they are true to the original design (and are of excellent workmanship).

I've installed Crites Ti tweeter diaphrams and crossover capacitors in Chorus Is and Chorus IIs. The results were outstanding - a considerable improvement.

I also tried Klipsch Ti mid diaphrams in the same speakers. These I judged to be too bright / harsh for my ears although they did sound better in a larger room (20 x 30). I preferred the smoother sound of the phenolics and eventually settled on a set of Crites phenolic mid diaphrams.

They are still producing excellent sound several years later. Great products.

The largest speaker box is your room... will xyz sound better in your listening room than abc? no one knows. Many many more variables also to consider

Unfortunately you'll have to gamble on the 'upgrades' and decide for yourself

I've done all the upgrades on a pair of original Forte including custom made X/O. Took several months (Not joking) to get'em right to my ears/room/equipment.

I have no regrets

I replaced the diaphragms in Quartets. Tweeter I didn't really notice a difference, but then I'm old and have some HF hearing loss. The Ti mids from Simply Speakers were a definite upgrade though.

I have done 2 different Crites upgrades, first on my Chorus II's, I dropped in new Crites Crossovers and replaced the tweeter diaphragms. I was very happy with the improvement in sound quality. Next I replaced the crossovers, mid & tweeter diaphragms on my Forte 1s. The jump in quuality over the old stock components was very noticeable. I am a fan of Bob Crites work.

I did the titanium diaphragms and capacitors from Crites for my Heresies. Initially I thought they sounded better (less shrill), but over time, I listened to them less and less, until I finally realized I really couldn't stand them. I was lucky to break even when I sold them. Shrill is nasty and exhausting.

Hey
1983 Cornwalls here. The Crites upgrades I used where.
1. X-overs - huge improvement
2. Mid daighprams - small but noticeable improvement
3. Tweeters - medium improvement, they seemed to smooth out the highs.
My impression of them in the end are tubes are the way to go as the highs before and after do get fatiguing at higher volumes.
I'd like to get a listen of the cornscala d.
I also have k horns. Too new, no upgrades done. Eric

80 Cornwalls here... I bought my own caps for the crossovers and bought original replacement phenolic diaphragms for my horns. I did not want a brighter, shriller horn so the original replacements were just perfect.

I have tried putting the phenolic diaphragms back in my Chorus II and always prefer the Ti ones. I believe Klipsch has been using Ti for the most part in their newest III lines. Doubt they are going for the shrillness, but maybe.

You don't say what speakers your considering modifying, but if its heritage speakers do you really want to be messing with Mr. pw klipsch's original intent?

I picked up a pair of KLF-30s (I got home late last night, so I couldn't listen to them too much). Will give them the business tonight after work (while my wife is at zumba). on a related note, I now have a pair of Tannoy monitors that are probably going down to barter town.

Back
Top Bottom