Anyone bought a refrigerator they like?

I bought a Samsung side by side , Ice, water on the door in '07 when we moved in. It's worked flawlessly since (which i guess I take for granted .
I have no idea how (wherher) they change year to year.
Based solely on ownership I'd buy another but if I were in the market I'd look at consumers report .(what do they say in investing commercials?
Past performance is no guarantee of future performance , or something to that effect.
Alobar,
I'm sorry you had that experience.
I was hoping you'd go on to say they parachuted in a tech to fix yours . It would've made a great story!
Oh PS,
Had that been the case, I would've bought nothing but Samsung from here on:D
Warranties on large items like that are always a challenge here in the wilderness.. Had a tranny go out on our Jeep Patriot a few years ago, nursed it onto the ferry and had to leave it at the Juneau dealership for 3 months! Finally had to call Jeep to complain that because we were out of town the dealership wasn't doing anything. After that things went into motion really fast, and they had a new transmission put onto Alaska Airlines and flown in! That must of cost them!

Also our new GE dishwasher had a problem and had to call GE support.. Same deal as the fridge where they said they were sending someone right over. 2 days later I got a call asking exactly where the hell am living where there are no servicemen! Anyway, same deal, they cut me a check for the price we paid plus sales tax. This time I knew exactly what the problem was so after I got the money ($1000) I ordered a $60 part from GE's web site (it was a leaking solenoid valve) and after about 10 minutes to install it it still works flawlessly, so the money wasted on the Samsung fridge, I made up and then some with GE.

BTW, GE customer service is some of the best I have ever been involved with. They took a personal interest in my situation, and called back a few times making sure I got the check (mail is slow, and weather dependent here).. Now every appliance in our house except for our propane oven is GE.

I'm in a different market here in Abu Dhabi but next time I shop for a refrigerator my prime specification will be noise.

A noticeable refrigerator drives me crazy.

BTW, lots of Italian appliances here. Got an Italian stove and it sucks. Korean refrigerator is ok but should be quieter.

I asked the install guys from a local appliance shop what was a good brand.

They laughed rather heartily.

They then said 'Just don't buy a Samsung'.

They went on to say that most of the newer units they pull out and replace are 3 or 4 year old Samsung units that failed.

Bought a Whirlpool side by side about 12 years ago. Had to replace a relay on the compressor a few years back...60-odd bucks for the part. Now, both the water valve and the auger for the icemaker have puked. Should run a little over $100 to fix. Otherwise, a good, cold fridge.

We bought a Kenmore about 6 years ago, a huge model with a bottom freezer and two side-by-side doors. Except for the ice maker, it's been fine, and is fairly quiet. The ice maker would probably start working again after an old-fashioned, real defrost, with the drawer open, and pans of hot water assisting. Neither of us has gotten around to it...

The large 24ft over/under 3 door fridge was so light that when I put in the floor, depending on what day of the week you visited that week, the fridge was in a different part of the kitchen OR house. that easy to move.

Interesting. I bought my GE from an appliance store and it is very very heavy. Three guys could barely get into my house. Over 300 pounds.

Rob

Last edited:
When we moved into our house I was going to replace the existing 25-year old Kenmore (probably a GE given the time period) and everyone I talked with said keep it running until it dies. My mom's GE lasted 35 years but those days are long gone as are knowing the name on the front was who made it. Other than Sears, who always sold rebranded but were typically of excellent quality. Nowadays the key word is, as it has been for some time, disposable. This is even worse than the planned obsolescence I remember growing up. You can find some quality units but it takes time and research and even then it can still be a crap shoot. I know many people harsh on Samsung and LG but for the most part they make pretty good stuff. Though I don't discount the problems folks have with these and other brands.

I agree with you, louisjames. My wife and I went shopping for refrigerators a few years back when our GE side-by-side stopped cooling. She was so disappointed with the poor quality that $1500 would buy in the new appliance market that she asked how much it would cost to fix the old GE. I told her that I could probably get it running for $75 and an hour of my time, and she told me to go ahead. The replacement compressor fan motor turned out to be a $50 part and the job took less than 45 minutes once I got home from the appliance part store. That GE side-by-side is still running well after 33 years of use, and I've heard from people in the repair trade that the football compressors in those vintage GEs can easily run for more than 50 years, so I'm looking forward to more reliable service from the old fridge.

Reading this thread leaves me wishing that durable goods such as refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers and the like still lived up to that description, the way they did when I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s.

Skipper hit it on the head,his research was like mine. Avoid frills, top freezer is best,avoid any blue tooth models because their still getting the bugs out.
Avoid bottom freezer models,over time the drawer being pulled in and out affects the ability of the freezer door to seal.
I bought a Samsung three weeks ago,very quite,keeps things cold. No ice maker,just one more thing that can go wrong. 46 dollars a year to run ( Star Energy model).
It replaced a 40 year old Fridgedare on its last legs.So far so good,love the fact my model has no handles on the door.

We've had really good luck with GE refrigerators. Bought our first one in 1990, and gave it to our oldest son several years ago when the missus wanted to upgrade to a GE French door model. The old one is still going strong and has been completely trouble free.

on a different note, we got, from an appliance store a speed queen washer. the one down from the TOTL machine. it was at MOST $50 more than a similarly equipped model at lowes and it has 5 year in home warranty vs the lowes $90/3 years bring it back to the store warranty.

why cant speed queen make fridges?

Last fall (Sept 2017) I bought a Speed Queen Commercial Heavy Duty clothes washer. Made in USA. IIRC 5 year warranty. $850 at NFM. As of late 2017 this was the only top load washer that would fill the tub for wash and rinse cycles (vs. "misting" the clothes.) It has relatively small capacity - but that's not a problem for me. So far I'm satisfied.

We bought a Frigidaire top-freezer model 5 or 6 years ago, no ice maker, and it's been fine. The Maytag before it leaked from the ice maker all the time.

I was about to re-subscribe, but saw this thread (and one about legal stuff and one about cats, all on the first page) and realized there is little useful audio discussion here anymore.

I agree, rebel, this should at the least be moved to some off-topic forum

Back
Top Bottom