Anyone bought a refrigerator they like?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by toxcrusadr, May 6, 2018.

1. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

They say things happen in threes, so you might be good for a little while. But if I was you, I wouldn’t walk under any ladders or look at a mirror the wrong way!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

If only wins came in threes!

stish and BilboBaggins like this.
  3. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

We are very disappointed in our Samsung due to failing shelves. We have had 4 of them crack and break.
    Like anything these days, probably have to spend big money to get one that will last as long as they should and used to. We still have the Kitchenaid we purchased for our first house back in 1993 and it's been doing garage duty since at least 99.

4. hnash53

hnash53 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Can't believe a moderator hasn't moved this thread.

But I just love the look of those Kenwood integrateds, don't you?

5. VinylHanger

VinylHanger Navigaret ex ironia

This has been a fun thread. Sometimes it's nice to just read about mundane things. I like cooking, so anything kitchen related is fine by me.

We went with a 900 doillar Whirlpool a couple years ago after our Frigidaire went after 11 good years, which seems to be an eternity in modern appliance life. We also got the 5 year service warranty because it seems they like to either go out just after the first year, or last for ever. Our 1950's GM Frigidaire is still going strong. I wish they still made them like they used to.

6. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

To be completely honest the refrigerators I've owned were all pretty old and lets face it, there aint much out there anymore that is reliable, there made to break even faster.
    So it's basically a coin toss nowadays if ya get a lemon or not. Hope the frig works well for ya for a long time sir.
    But, again being painfully truthful, cold air drops and hot air rises and a refrigerator is cooled by the freezer so a bottom freezer has to blow the cold air up to the frig
    unlike a top freezer that the cold air is blown into the frig below and not working against the current so to speak. Never liked a bottom freezer because of it, that and banging
    your shin against the open door and having to bend down so far to get anything out. But, I reckon to each his own, watch your shins. cheesy.gif
    As far as the other troubles that are following you, when it's all over you'll be able to look back at it and laugh or at least say thanks for it ending.

7. toxcrusadr

We'll see how mom and sis like the bottom freezer. The old GE was a side by side and every time you opened the freezer, stuff would fall out because it was so full. At least they won't have that problem. Also it seems to me that one uses the freezer less and the fridge more, so having the fridge at eye and reach level seems like a good thing. You basically have a chest freezer down there though which has its own drawbacks. No such thing as a perfect refrigerator.

Apparently the delivery guys did NOT bring the dented discounted fridge but a brand NEW one in the box...somebody screwed up because they got a $600 discount...doubt if Lowes will even notice though.

8. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

Hey, Never know, when they plugged it in to test it before delivery it may not have worked so they had no other recourse then to bring you a new one.
    Or as I have been in the appliance repair/delivery business when I was a young man your delivery man may have got the deliveries mixed up.
    I would call them just to make sure to avoid any problems down the road.

9. 45rpmspinner

45rpmspinner Well-Known Member

10. hnash53

hnash53 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Kenmore integrateds rock.

11. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_20180511_174622.jpg LG all the way.
    Kinda cool fridge. Having a door within a door. The glass lights up when you knock on it twice then after 30 seconds blacks out. I especially like getting the "quick" items such as the milk, coffee etc in the glass service through door section.
    LMXS30796D_350_20171010.jpg

12. toxcrusadr

I saw that door feature while researching, it really is cool.

rxonmymind likes this.
  13. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Well I have a gas stove,gas dryer,fridge and washing machine all by the top audio mfg Crosley:).Over 21 years now and still going strong.

14. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

It was more than that. For the same footprint this absolutely crushed my side by side Bosch fridge in terms of storage. That bottom freezer packs away more and I can fit five large pizzas on one side in there if I wanted while the other half tons of meat.
    Then you have the center drawer for quick deli meats, drinks etc.
    This was just one well laid out fridge. The "last one" I'll buy if everything last.

15. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

23 year old Kenmore. The only problem it ever had was a clogged drain hose. An air compressor and a LOT of paper towel :no: fixed that.

Kenmore dishwasher is also 23 years old. Needed a new control board in 2004 but the replacement board and the dishwasher have been going strong ever since.

16. nasadowsk

nasadowsk Biker

Parents have a GE. In 4 years, it's broken like 4 times. blown fans, inverters, front door replaced, stuff arrived messed up.

I wouldn't buy a GE...

17. scoloheros

scoloheros Well-Known Member

My frig was free! Hotpoint, found it on the side of the road, old, oiled the freezer fan motor and the condenser fan motor(locked up), cleaned it, good to go!, been going strong for 2 years, made during the better years imo. OK so I have two homes, one is OK, the other is a dump I'm working on. Where am I going to get a frig for the dump?, and it "appeared". I should have been thinking, "Where am I going to get $5,000,000?" I would go to Youtube and look up stuff having to do with refrigerators, "consumer reports", reviews, things like that.

18. toxcrusadr

I love it when stuff 'appears' just when you need it. Happened to me numerous times when building and outfitting my shop, the Garage Mahal. A lot of recycled and salvaged stuff in that building.

So did you have to re-charge that Hotpoint after oiling the motor? I assume it was R-12, in which case, where in the world did you get the refrigerant?.

19. SA-708

SA-708 Appalachian-American Subscriber

The handle to the refrigerator section broke on Thursday. I'm looking at options, which includes doing nothing as it can be easily opened without the handle.

20. scoloheros

scoloheros Well-Known Member

No, I didn't have to do anything else to that refrigerator, but I painted it with white appliance paint using a roller. It just so happened that the oven that was still in that little house is a Hotpoint also so, I thought it was kind of cool that it happened to match up. I've done things differently from most. I look for deals even though I don't "need" to. I have no debt and never had a credit card, I'm 54, both houses paid for. I think the previous owner is a landlord, the frig wasn't cooling. There is a "c-frame" motor that blows in the freezer. It's a very simple, common and efficient motor. It blows the cold air around. If it's frozen up, I think people will think their frig is broken because it would not be cooling down. I didn't know any of this until I took this frig home. It's actually kind of rare that the compressor goes bad, they are pretty reliable but they do go bad eventually. Anyway, so if that inexpensive motor in the freezer freezes up, temps don't go down. This is basically the motor design right here: https://www.zoro.com/dayton-c-frame...MI4sHokpWH2wIVEbXACh2mTgXQEAQYASABEgJKrfD_BwE When I took that motor out of the freezer, I saw that there were felt washers on the front and back of the little rotor, covered by plastic covers, you will see if you ever look into it. The felt washers are supposed to be saturated with oil but they dry out over time and probably aren't well lubed out of the factory, prob designed to fail soon that way. So I soaked the felt with totl synthetic, thin oil since it gets cold and snapped the plastic covers back on. I'll never have to worry about that again. Even old refrigerators only cost about $30 a year to run, they are amazing machines taken for granted imo. That little motor is usually easy to get to. If you have to do it, if you find an old frig, just start unscrewing screws in the freezer. Open the freezer door and look toward the back, you should see some screws there.