Anyone bought a refrigerator they like?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by toxcrusadr, May 6, 2018.

1. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

How many times have ya heard, "They don't make them like they used to!". From personal experience, I agree.

Well, like me, many got tired of the little lady complaining bout how that relic in the kitchen, that didn't miss a stroke in 20 years, caused you to turf it and go out and buy a brand new shiny one (stainless even!)...with THREE doors no less. Hopefully you waited till the newer ones came out and you didn't have to polish it every second day...like we do. We didn't wait!

Then the fridge fun can begin. After searching for the warranty card, you read it and guess what? A little more than a year elapsed, and it does state this on the card (if you still have it) that the unit was good for only a year (one!). After that, unless you purchased at extra cost, added coverage...but for what? Just parts? Labour? And from where? By whom? You are good for repairs.

There is a plethora of brands out there, but most will fall under an umbrella company who makes several, but end up putting specific brand plates on them. Some times there is a difference of specs, but I've found they are all pretty much the same...unless you go for the upper tier of the brands (more $$$), but that's another "can of worms" that needs yet another thread.

So, you go to the phone, dial their respective number, and get lost in the labyrinth of different departments, trying to get the right person to talk to. If you do, often you end up waiting, listening to some horrendous music that I'm sure they select in order to get you off the phone. If lucky, some one comes on, and now the real fun beings! What ever you do in the end...make sure you ask for a certified company tech.

Check out the recalls on the net some time and you will be amazed at the number of recalls that have been made in order to prevent your house from burning down because of faulty appliances. You will be amazed at the high number of appliances being warned about by both manufacturer and government. It's staggering.

I seem to remember within the past few years, there was one president who proclaimed that "We have to make better appliances"...now get this! "Because our landfills are overflowing". As Spock would say, "Where is the logic in this?" And I have to agree.

If you do get a nice new appliance, be happy if it's still running after five. It just may be the exception.

Q

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I bought my Frigidare refrigerator "neused" at half price 10 years ago. It's still working perfectly. Apparently, at least at that time, Lowe's policy was to just dump appliances that came in non-functional, instead of bothering to send them back or attempt repairs. A local repair shop would scoop up stuff for pennies on the dollar, fix it, and sell it for about half price. This fridge came in with a bad compressor, but after the repair, it has been perfect.

3. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have to think more stores would start doing something like that. When I retire I thought about some kind of recycling operation, taking all the broken stuff from stores and fixing and reselling it.

4. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

My 2002 Whirlpool still keeping things cool!

Rome

5. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

We have several appliance repair and resale stores like that around here. Most have been around a while, they seem to do good business.

6. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

When I bought my first house 22 years ago lol my mom bought my refrigerator. It's an Amana and would still be kicking butt if a spring mount in the compressor didn't come loose. The motor rides on 3 or 4 springs in there, I can't remember, but if one comes loose or breaks, when the motor in the compressor stops it's cycle, the down torqueing makes it wobble so you will hear a loud Clank, bang, thunk. I mean it will scare anybody if they're not use to it. It's been doing that for at least 5 years, still working though. I checked out youtube and refrigerator compressors for a while when I was playing around with the one I found. Apparently, compressors from China were causing some problems but I think China is doing better with it's manufacturing today. It's hard to get over it though, when you read, "made in China" on the back, I know, the "oh no" trigger goes off in the brain. I just found this https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-refrigerator/

There's a biz a few miles north of me that does just that, I think it's just one guy that owns and runs it. I bet he's making pretty good $ This stuff is usually easy to fix. When I bought that little dump of a house, it had a washer in there that didn't work. Somebody bought a new timer for it thinking that was the problem, it was sitting on the lid. I never tried fixing a washer before. That meant I was going to take it apart because I'm curious. There really isn't much to those things. I saw the door switch looked a little burned. That's all the problem was, the switch, only cost about $20. I think those guys go pick up this stuff, look on CL under "free stuff", bring it to the shop, spend $50 or so on it and sell it for $300-$400.

Please register to disable this ad.