Anyone buy from Nonesuch?

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by olson_jr, Nov 14, 2017.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

tmtomh and skraggs like this.
  2. onepixel

onepixel .

I didn't know they had a store or that they were still around.

I have records from that label from decades ago.

illini likes this.
  3. olson_jr

@onepixel As far as I know they never went out of business.

onepixel likes this.
  4. misterjones

misterjones Active Member

This was my first classical music purchase (around 1980 or so). I also had a cassette version. I no longer have either and would like to buy it in CD. I don't think it ever made it to CD. Nothing particularly good about it. It just has sentimental value for me and I liked the track selection. I don't see it (or any of the other similarly packaged classical LPs they issued back then) at their website.

[​IMG]

5. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

I don't think the old 'classical' and the current Nonsuch are the same thing.

I've got most of the Wilco Nonsuch releases, and they are really well done packages.
    Quiet, flat vinyl, with gatefold sleeves, poly-lined paper inside sleeves plus inner artwork, and if I remember correctly the outer shrink is one of those loose poly things that is perforated, allowing you to use it as an outer sleeve.
    How modern vinyl in this price bracket should be done, IMO.

6. misterjones

They have the same logo, so I assumed they were the same company . . . especially in view of the statement of one of the members above indicating they never went out of business.

7. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Good call.
    What's weird is that the Wilco albums I have don't have that logo, the Lulu Lemon looking one. The N is one of a simple chunky looking N.

Wiki(I know, I know) says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonesuch_Records

Interesting label that has seemed to have changed with the times.
    I wonder if they still have the rights to those old classical titles?

misterjones and greymatter like this.
  8. misterjones

That got me thinking about whether these recordings have reappeared under a different label. I came across the following, which includes the Vivaldi recordings and credits Nonesuch for at least a portion of them - http://klassichaus.us/Karl-Ristenpart-Conducts-Vivaldi.php

I am not familiar enough with the other Nonesuch classical releases to determine whether Kalssic Haus ended up with all of them.

9. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

I was thinking a bit of the same thing. Seems like they were a label owned by another label(Warner).
    There just might be other releases of the same material.

I've got a few Nonesuch classical releases, but I don't think I've ever looked into if they were duplicated on other labels/sub-labels.

My fav Warner/Nonesuch story is back when Wilco was recording YHF. They said they were done, Reprise(owned by Warner) said they weren't, and the stand still ended up with them taking the album that Sire/Warner paid for free and clear, and then being let go. They then turned around and signed a deal with Nonesuch(also owned by Warner). They got paid twice by the same record company in the end. What a messed up industry.

10. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

I've bought from them several times. Lots of great artists, for me.

Never disappointed with the quality of the vinyl, or the recordings. Always well packed, too.

On sale is a bonus.

11. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Like the Nonesuch recordings of classical music. Many excellent sounding. Nonesuch Records is still owned by Warner Music.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:43 PM
  12. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Now is the time to stock up on Bill Frisell if you need to.

Carraway likes this.
  13. Carraway

Carraway AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought from them during some previous sales. I tried to check the website this time, but it was apparently overloaded. Anyway, it was a good experience with a mix of CDs, digital files, and an LP+MP3. But I'm fairly well stocked with Brad Mehldau and Bill Frisell recordings after the previous sales and general buying.

14. onepixel

onepixel .

I posted this from the "label" something thread awhile back. I have a bunch of others. Which aren't like the current list of artists on the label.

Label_Nonesuch.jpg

15. olson_jr

The Koto Music of Japan. My wife had that record in her collection when I met her.

Actually, when I was thumbing through her records for the first time I was quite impressed to see she had Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. It was after we were married that she fessed up that Bitches Brew was in her collection because she had forgotten to send one of those Columbia Record Club cards back in and got stuck with it.

onepixel and Grbluen like this.
  16. Grbluen

Grbluen AK Subscriber Subscriber

Isn't that sort of like false advertising!

onepixel and olson_jr like this.
  17. olson_jr

Yep, been complaining about that for the 34 years we have been married.

BlindBoyGrnt and Grbluen like this.
  18. misterjones

Is the false advertising your wife to you or Columbia to your wife? I may be Thick as a Brick, but I don't follow.

19. olson_jr

@misterjones

Wife to me, the Columbia Card thing was not false advertising as it said, "Send this card back if you do not want this months selection."

20. misterjones

The Koto Music of Japan label made me think the false advertising might have been Columbia misrepresenting the Bitches Brew LP pressing.