Anyone cook/slice their own sandwich meat - ex RoastBeef?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by rebellovw, Jan 11, 2019.

1. rebellovw

rebellovw Super Member

I'm toying with the idea of cooking and slicing my own lunch meat - Roastbeef/Turkey. We have Boars head deli meats at my local store which has good meat - just expensive and fairly salty - very processed (briney - I guess you would say) - questionably fresh (sometimes the good turkey that I buy tastes like it has been out of the package a few days as people tend to buy the processed crap.)

I would need to get a slicer (like Kramer) - which might be a pain to deal with and store - but seems like the benefits could be pretty great. I mean roast beef from our local deli's rarely taste like a real roast.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

turnitdown likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

I've often thought about that except there's not enough consumption in this house to justify it. I think it's a GREAT idea. You'' save money and have the best sandwich meat on the block.

rebellovw likes this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Super Member

Yeah - consumption would be a problem as it would be mostly me - perhaps my wife occasionally.

It would have to go like this:

Make a great roast for dinner - ex 3lbs - then use the left overs for sandwiches - @ 3 days. Same goes for Turkey - BBQ a bone in Turkey breast - then use left overs for sandwhiches.

I do find myself throwing out lots of store bought deli meat since it isn't all that great and I usually forget about it.

I think this would be a great roast recipe for sandwhich left overs: (I've made it many times) Super high temp - shut the oven off and let cook for hours.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/94113/high-temperature-eye-of-round-roast/

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Super Member

The other variable is bread - we have really crappy bread here in Prescott AZ - absolutely no french bread of any kind - and the best wheat bread is the crazy guitar guy daves - which isn't all that fresh.

5. bandg69

bandg69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you get yourself a good slicer it is well worth cooking and slicing your own lunch meat.
    We roast a pork loin and left over sliced into sandwich meat. Same with turkey breast.
    And if I do say so myself, I make a pretty wicked Italian beef. Do it.

rebellovw likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Super Member

Yeah - I was thinking of roasting a pork loin this weekend - that would be good - garlic/rosemary..

Please register to disable this ad.

7. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a slicer and I go through spells on doing this. The slicers are alittle tuff to clean.

rebellovw likes this.
  8. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

I have a Chef's Choice slicer. Picked up a non-serrated blade which is better for thin slices, IMO. We will cook an eye of round and turn it into lunch meat. yes - clean up is a pain.

rebellovw likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

Despite all the safety devices on these slicers, I still have this eerie vision of me slicing fingers up instead of the meat. I can be kinda clumsy. But I still like the idea. If I saw a used one, I would be tempted to give one a try.

A local market here uses chain mail gloves in their meat department. That's the ticket.

Bill Ferris likes this.