1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone do DIY 3D photography?

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by WillVT, Jul 14, 2018.

1. WillVT

WillVT Super Member

I have always been fascinated by how our brains create a three dimensional image using the combined image from each eye. I was just as excited when I realized that you can mimic that process by using two separate photos taken from from two slightly different angles, and cross your eyes, looking at one with each eye.
    As a kid, I loved those magic eye images, and always was able to see them pretty easily.

Anyway, a few years ago, I started messing around with making 3D (Stereoscopic) images with a regular digital camera. I even built a little jig that allowed me to take one image, then slide the camera over and take another. Most of them I did freehand though.

These are all viewed using the cross-eyed method. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

duncan and I LIKE MUSIC like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

Very nice, I particularly liked the wood pile and trees.

3. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

I have always like stereo views. Thanks for posting.

4. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Neat-o.
    The wood pile shows the 'stereo effect' to particularly good advantage (to my eyes, at least).

5. duncan

duncan more music than time Subscriber

Well yeah! Don't know why I should assume I'm the only one in the room who does this. Where there are people who love stereo music, it would be no surprise that some of them indulge in stereo photography.

A few of mine (like WillVT's these use cross-eye method):

[​IMG]
    totem pole at the Smithsonian

[​IMG]
    begonias? at a botanical garden

[​IMG]
    some shadow play

[​IMG]
    State Capitol building, Des Moines, Iowa

[​IMG]
    shale-lined stream bed, central Ohio

[​IMG]
    sunflowers after a storm

[​IMG]
    my nephew and his dog

---------------

Edited to clarify: the first and last pictures are from a stereo camera (Fujifilm W3) that takes two pictures at the same time. The rest use WillVT's DIY method, or what some people call "cha-cha" -- moving an ordinary camera sideways between shots.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    old_tv_nut likes this.
  6. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

Superb!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

I've taken hundreds of photos on the western half of the US in the past two years, but nothing can convey that sense of space that a stereo photograph can deliver. I first saw the effect (beyond a Viewmaster) when my uncle showed us the stereo photos he took of the Swiss Alps. Wow--incredible!

Given the size of today's larger smartphones, I am really surprised nobody has created a mainstream 3D camera to use with those VR viewers, or even a homemade viewer of some sort.

8. WillVT

WillVT Super Member

There is the app Cardboard Camera. It takes 360 degree pics that you view with a cardboard viewer, or any vr phone viewer. It is 3d of some sort. I'll see if I can post one here.

Edit: not sure I can post those here, at least not from my phone. Check out the Cardboard Camera app though, it's pretty cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Wildcat likes this.