Anyone doing a garden?

One of the main reasons plants and lawns suffer toward the end of the season is magnesium and nitrogen deficiency's in our area. I've used Epsom salt on my lawn, multiple times a year, for many years. The best part about it is that it doesn't built up in the soil like commercial fertilizers. Good year or not, every vine, veg, or bush I put it on explodes with blooms and grows to freakish heights.

I defer to your obvious familiarity with conditions in your area. I found mixed messages on the interwebs about it, but in any case, I stand by the general advice to do soil testing now and then. Case in point: I added compost to my heavy clay for 20 years and finally discovered through testing that P levels had gone from very low to high or excessive. This was with virtually no input of NPK fertilizers. So I'm changing my tactics a bit.

Boy, I'd just about forgotten about this thread! :confused:.....

Sadly, I'm done gardening. My garden behind the garage is being seeded for a lawn once the new wood fence is in, since that garden was a total mildew disaster caused by the pond next door. The container garden was also an epic failure due to the rats eating anything that even just started turning red. (Just a faint change from unripe green, and they'd kill it.) And I still had leaf blight issues anyway. Short of doing hydroponic inside the house somewhere (which I have no room for), I'll have to wait until I get some acreage and can do something proper.

You should do hanging planters like this:

51TPCwELdbL.jpg

Or you can make your own like this...

upside-down-tomatoes.jpg

I would actually go with red buckets myself. Not only are they cheaper and reusable pretty much indefinitely, but the red color helps to isolate and magnify the red spectrum of UV rays that are beneficial, and can actually increase yields by up to 20%. By hanging your plants, you will avoid any and all contact with the ground and the soil itself, thereby avoiding the viruses inherent in your soil and from your neighbor's pond next door. If you go this route, I would even go as far as mixing the soil for your planters on pavement to avoid any unintentional contact with the soil on your property. I still think there are measures you can take to avoid the issues you've had in the past. If you isolate the plants and the soil they grow in from the problem, you will be able to avoid those issues, and hanging inversion planters are the way to do this. Furthermore, if you do this on sturdy poles (preferably metal), the rat issue will be a thing of the past too. ;) I'd say give it a try. It might be too late to start it for most vegetables, but try it with flowers and other plants to get used to growing them inverted, and then do it next year with tomatoes and all the other things you used to grow. :) Don't give up! ;)

I put in 600 dollars worth of plants this past weekend. 6 varieties of tomatoes, 2 different yellow squashes & 2 different zucchinis. 4, 50 ft rows of bush beans, watermelons & cantaloupe. 3 types of cucumbers , 2, 20 ft rows of okra and last but not least about 6 or 30 pepper plant of various types. Forgot the potatoes 2 75 ft rows of russets, yukon gold & kennick whites. I sell to local restaurants that support area farmers.

Sounds like what I'd love to do if I had the room (and the sunlight) to do so. I'd just about have a mini farmer's market if I could. lol And that's cool about you selling to local restaurants. The "100 mile diet". I highly approve. :thumbsup:

Those look really good. We have a tomato festival nearby in Fairfield, Ca. where I first tasted some of the heirloom tomatoes. They are what tomatoes are supposed to taste like! I also live in an area of the central valley called the "tomato capital of the world," but what you find in the grocery store does not compare to these. I have never seen or tasted the green ones like you planted. Let us know how they do. I'll be looking for them now. ;) I found that the purple/black ones were the tastiest ones. They have that earthy tomato taste more than others. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm really excited to see how they all taste later this summer. :) And yeah, I couldn't agree more. Heirlooms are the way to go for taste. Some hybrids and other varieties may yield more, but I can't taste "quantity", only quality. ;) It must be nice to live in an area that is a high yield area for tomatoes. There is an area like that here in Canada too. It's an area in southwest Ontario that is known as the "tomato capital of Canada". Unfortunately, Heinz who had a factory in the area for over 100 years, pulled out a few years ago (bastards), and left many families in several counties out of a job, and without a buyer for what they were growing. Before the closure, the surrounding area was the largest tomato processing region per acreage in the world, but now that Heinz is gone, not so much anymore. :( Anyway, despite that sad sack story, I'll try to keep you and everyone else updated on my tomato plants for this year. And agreed, the black/purple varieties are delicious. I was very happy with my Indian Stripe tomatoes last year. :) I hope this year's Aunt Mary's German Green variety tastes good too. BTW, you should also keep an eye out for another green tomato called Green Zebra. They are a smaller tomato, but they have a sweet, zesty, tangy flavor that is incredible for eating as-is, in salads, or in sandwiches. So good! :D

Works for all plants, vegetables, and fruits; if you haven't been using, or live under a rock, handfuls of Epsom salt once a month will make your yield explode!!! 2 years ago, 22 maters from one plant, last year (Epsom salt year lol) 112 maters. I've used it on my lawn for years to replenish magnesium back into our sorry Colorado soil, but 2 years ago started using it on all plants inside house and out and the results were dramatic!

Agreed, I used a homemade tomato booster tonic for the first time last year that uses much less epsom salt, and I saw a HUGE increase in flowers that formed. The recipe goes as such:

1 gallon of water
2 tablespoons of epsom salts
1 teaspoon of baby soap (this helps the salts to bind to the soil and other minerals within it)

Apply full mixture to each plant.

Unfortunately, last year was very dry, very hot in the daytime (up to the mid to high 90's), with very cool nights due to the dry air (into the 40's), which set up a trifecta that was detrimental to my tomato plants. On each plant I had well over 100 flowers on each plant (one plant I guessed almost 200!), but due to the dry conditions, and the constant variable days and nights from the 90's down to the 40's, the plants got stressed and they dropped about 75% of the flower heads. :( I used the tonic again this year, and so far so good. This year's weather has been mostly cool and rainy, with some hot days mixed in, so I am hoping I don't have the same issues as last year. Which brings me to my next post.....

I did my potted flowers this past week (nearly a month late, alas), and am seeding some lawn areas that died off last season. Finally got the rototiller going again, so I'm ready to go ahead with the yard work. Supposed to have the fence along the back of the lot replaced, but it looks like autumn now.

Seeing it's so late in the season now, and that I will be gone at least five weeks this summer, it's not worth trying any veggie plants. About all I did was a small herb garden and a few rows of radishes in a raised bed near the house. I am setting up a drip irrigation system for the containers, so they are automatically watered while we are gone. I will have to rent some goats, so I can keep the lawn trimmed. :D

Ants? I've been using the Terro ant bait. It is nothing but sugar water and Borax. They carry it back to the nest, and it kills the colony off after a couple of weeks. I tuck a few inside the house where I have seen ants before. They found one of them a few weeks ago. Now that ant trail is completely gone. :)

So here are my tomato plants. They are doing well, and so far I am happy with them. I live in southern Canada, so I only put them into my pots about a month ago when they were only little 6 inch sprouts. This year isn't anywhere as warm/hot as last year, so I don't expect to get as many tomatoes this year though. Also (and unfortunately), my property doesn't have much direct sunlight at all (lots of trees), so the only area I have to grow them only gets about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day! :confused: Even at that, last year my plants were all about 7 to 7 1/2 feet tall, and my biggest tomato was 1 lb. 14 oz., so considering how little sunlight I get, that's pretty damn amazing. :biggrin: But again, last year was an unusually hot year, and this year is actually a bit cooler than average (so far), so I may have to curb my expectations a bit. Considering how cool it's been for the most part up to now (we've only had a few hot days), they are larger than last year (I started them from seed about 10 days earlier this year though), and they are doing well so far. If you notice, I also have my plants trimmed down as well. I have the lower foot or so bare of leaves and branches to prevent soil splash back to prevent disease, and I also have other unneeded branches further up in the main plant trimmed as well. What this does is it allows the plant to focus its energy into the flowers (and eventually the tomatoes), and into growing new growth at the top instead of it going into too much greenery. These are good things to do for all tomato growers, but with as little sunlight that my plants get, I need all the help I can get. I just prune the suckers off and keep an eye on unneeded branches, and they seem to do just fine. :) Here's some pictures from a few days ago. The flowers are just beginning to form...

IMG_2980-1.JPG IMG_2981-1.JPG IMG_2984-1.JPG
IMG_2983-1.JPG IMG_2968-1.JPG
IMG_2979-1.JPG

Last edited:
So I got a bag of Diatomaceous earth. Crazy where they hide this stuff in the store and that it was never recommended before, but thanks.

Hopefully it takes care of the 4 billion ants that call my garden home too.

So I got a bag of Diatomaceous earth. Crazy where they hide this stuff in the store and that it was never recommended before, but thanks.

Hopefully it takes care of the 4 billion ants that call my garden home too.

I read an article where farmers add a spoonful to a glass of water to clean out the digestive tract of visitors. Don't know if it's true or not, but I ain't trying it. After I posted about it I was in a local pawn shop the next day and some teen was telling the counter guy how his mom sprinkles it on their mattresses when they move into a new apartment to kill bedbugs.

I read an article where farmers add a spoonful to a glass of water to clean out the digestive tract of visitors. Don't know if it's true or not, but I ain't trying it. After I posted about it I was in a local pawn shop the next day and some teen was telling the counter guy how his mom sprinkles it on their mattresses when they move into a new apartment to kill bedbugs.
It is really pretty amazing stuff. I read up a bunch on it and although it is safe to ingest, you don't want to breath it, get it on your hand (and genitals) or your eyes. It is described as Microscopic Razor Blades which cut the bug on contact causing it to dehydrate and die.

It will also kill those huge maggots I get in my compost bin. I doused the whole garden yesterday and sprinkled it all around my patio, which the ants think is theirs.

Also, in my last career, I ran EDM machines, Electrical Discharge Machining, and the filters that collected all the metal particles were filled with, guess what? The stuff has many uses and is just a ground up tiny dead animal.

Those huge maggots are probably Black Soldier Fly larvae. The adults fly away and to not hang around and be a pestilence like house flies. But their presence in a compost pile usually indicates conditions are too wet, and/or too much high nitrogen materials. We had them in our food waste compost at my office building, until we started covering each day's addition of coffee grounds and banana peels with sawdust/planer shavings. You can use last year's dry leaves, straw, shredded paper or cardboard, anything with high carbon/low nitrogen content and preferably dry.

I have been eating bacon and tomato sandwiches the last 3 days. I love these and will devour dozens off them over the next few months. Probably not the healthiest choice, but I have done stupid shit before.

I have picked about 25 tomatoes so far, but it looks like it is going to be a poor year production wise. After this year I need to get a soil test and see what's going on and work towards correcting it. I am slowly learning that providing a fertile garden soil is the most important is the most important thing as a gardener, since it's what takes care of the plants.

25 years of compost turned my clay into some lovely stuff.

I can recommend a soil test as well. I found that after adding all that compost, the relatively immobile phosphorus was building up to rather high levels. I've cut back on high-P compost and eliminated P from any fertilizers. Actually it was happening with K too. It's good to know where you're at - NPK (N is optional, it's very changeable with seasons), organic matter, pH, and micro nutrients (Ca, Mg, Fe etc.).

Last edited:
We have already canned about 30 pints of pickles. 50 quarts of tomatoes. I have a chamber vacuum sealer that will let me vacuum liquids. I can cut a cuke and add the brine and cukes in the bag. Vacuum for 15 seconds and then seal. Instant pickles! Chill and serve.

Back
Top Bottom