Anyone else already over the whole micro brewery thing?

Who let the scientists into this thread?

I had a green Flash Jibe Session IPA last night and it is pretty darn good. Only 4%, but it does not taste sudsy. Green Flash is know for hi-hopped West Coast brews, so they know a little about flavor. Perfect for a crisp, floral night cap. Or a 13-hour tailgating session in Morgantown, WV.

77d3037d-8c1c-4756-b3ae-e71d765e5a34.jpg

Who let the scientists into this thread?

I had a green Flash Jibe Session IPA last night and it is pretty darn good. Only 4%, but it does not taste sudsy. Green Flash is know for hi-hopped West Coast brews, so they know a little about flavor. Perfect for a crisp, floral night cap. Or a 13-hour tailgating session in Morgantown, WV.

77d3037d-8c1c-4756-b3ae-e71d765e5a34.jpg

I like Green Flash. I'll have to check that one out.

-Dave[/QUOTE]

I like Green Flash. I'll have to check that one out.

-Dave

I'm gonna assume with your name that you are an IPA expert. I'd call the brew more of an XPA, but it does hit the hoppy/floral notes, leaning toward IPA.

Green Flash also makes a session Lager that is, as my wife so accurately called it, "a bit keggy." Spend your lager dollars elsewhere.

I'm gonna assume with your name that you are an IPA expert. I'd call the brew more of an XPA, but it does hit the hoppy/floral notes, leaning toward IPA.

Green Flash also makes a session Lager that is, as my wife so accurately called it, "a bit keggy." Spend your lager dollars elsewhere.

I don't consider myself an expert but I've been a fan of the style since long before its recent popularity.

-Dave

So it has no impact re type 2 diabetes?

Don't know about the impact on diabetes, but most diabetes medications say not to consume too much alcohol. And the "too much" is defined as more than 3 oz. per day, skipping a few days per week.

I had my first Pumking Ale from Southern Tier brewing company over the weekend, not as malty as last years, still very tasty. I will have to crack another one this weekend.
southern-tier-pumpkin-2.jpg
Stock photo.

OK, back in the 80's and 90's wine was becoming the rage. By 2000 every Mc Mansion in the suburbs had a wine cellar built into their basement.

The last 10 years has seen the wild growth of the micro brewery.

Now when I am at a Mc Mansion party we either have draft beer from the local brewery or a wide selections of IPA's on ice.

To be honest, I have yet to walk into a micro brewery and not found ribbons on their beers.
They clearly hand these out to anyone. Beers so cloudy you are hesitant to drink them? Award them!

Meantime, the local wine store closed down. :(

The local wineries are doing well but most make a living on cider. (and yet, they too all have ribbons)

Seems the new "corner bar" is now either a micro brewery, a spirits distillery (yes!!!! more ribbons, I am not joking) a winery, mostly selling hard cider or a brew house which offers all the local beers on tap along with 1,000 IPA selections.

So what is my point?

I don't know.
Somebodys gotta like this post. At least for the conversation it has created.

On a side note as to the OP's point I say..

man has been making beer for thousands of years. never gets old. It has more variety then pretty much anything on the planet. Seriously beer making is a art and anyone can draw. Good beers bad beers no matter what you do to it it will still be beer.

My issue with most of the boutique brewery's is they make to many different types and they end up tasting like shit. I'll take good Vodka anytime.
Vodka is alcohol Almost zero flavor and if you freeze it and drink it it has none at all. You can live on beer.

Yeah, we all can't have the fine local selections of Old Style and Pabst like you Northern Tier folk.

FWIW/FYI, both PBR and Old Style outrank Coors in the BA ratings. But, I do understand taste is highly personal. I'd take Miller High Life over any of those if those four choices were put before me.

100 degree day - Miller High Life (The Champagne of Beers!)
Winter Time - Murphy's & 21st Amendment Black IPA
Fall - Lagunitas Imperial Stout
Spring - Scrimshaw Pilsner

The nice thing about beer (just like wine) is that there are so many varieties. For this reason, I will never be over the whole micro brew thing.

I had "tulip" a small glass of Hermitage Ryetopia, San Jose, CA. It was $9.95 at the Tied House. Ha!

Holy crap it's 11.6% ABV. Barrel-aged barley wine. Interesting, dark as midnight and potent.

I will admit there are very few craft beers I like. Probably 9 out of 10 I don't like. Don't even give me a flavored beer, apple, orange, etc. Just give me a fine American pilsner. I think I misspelled that. Had my 1st craft that I remember at the 1999 US Open, down the road here in Southern Pines. A local craft that tasted like pine straw. Was $5 a cup then. I've tried every Sam Adams and don't like any. I used to buy 6 packs of Old Speckled Hen to give as literally gag gifts. I ruined 2 lb of shrimp boiling them in it. Keep that hoppy shit away from me. Darks are too heavy. I either drink no beer or 6 to 12. I prefer draft, but can or bottle is fine. I remember reading an article in Playboy many years ago about drinking beer across America. The author of the article hated it when he was in the South, because he said we drank our beer too cold. A couple slithers of ice floating in the top of mine is fine. Wetting my lips is part of it.

That's Ok Jim, I've got a buddy I work with who drinks Coors Light on the rocks, to each their own.

Haven't found many *craft* beers I care for, myself. Most are way too hoppy, too alcoholic or weird flavors (see Jim's post, above)... I like my beer/bier to taste like beer, and prefer major brewers, mostly European - Heineken, Beck's, Paulaner, Spaten (so I like German stuff), and UK brands - Murpheys, Guinness, London Pride Porter, McEwan's, Belhaven... I have enjoyed a couple of the offerings from Leinenkugel - their Vanilla Porter, in particular.

Cheap beers are fun too.

Coors is not bad at all. Decent lager and the stubby bottles are cool. Better than many microbrew lagers.

I will drink the occasional Miller High Life. Solid beer. Union made, so I feel like a Teamster.

Narragansett is decent. Bready and crisp. Their limited release specialty beers are often fantastic.

Yuengling. My wife and I joke - "Looks great. Tastes like shit."

Hamms. Cheap crap we used to drink in college, so I picked up a mixer when I saw it this summer. Still tastes like crap.

That's Ok Jim, I've got a buddy I work with who drinks Coors Light on the rocks, to each their own.
I don't, but there are several of my friends that drink beer on the rocks. They say it's for the next day feel good factor.

Back
Top Bottom