Anyone else freaked out by supertalls??

Parachute territory.

GqJPw75X_SwQKVsh67H8-yctvapf5I0W3rMj_gGWkn4bUPc53uXyvxgnwrF_LoVjTXTmriI9Ss2g3kgglC4S-Rw2qlucgExkA0rNPsaVDiuhzHxG0wzMQBnSZwvi3nvO1Bjp_grKcrr1eVsLQkW6YYQGZN414upO-Ug5tTtnYJ6z3Ig1ejXvTggI470bK4NDn_5Nrlp4YgeFRCknRs2hSts8vBcZB9_GS4FtIVmPFtPX7qA47u5tm0pTCHe5hhTTYcLS3lVHlh4d7GCmp1UIDh_Cb47pl8oHeMN6RNmZYN9xD3J8y_7CDE9hqrZoVpNZ_ZmGGVipgcSGnzNQrFX1EHpec7JY69heaqadKAJXTJU5utNUxRYBJ8NubNxFqsKNwHcKajTTsQqSTp_5WS1Q7Ed86yKyCnxbz6qFTpO2nCY69yEe-_Gnqbb7OpoSJHAN-rUVkN8NqtCf_In91a1ZFTqla0rZQz_5hiEKsB578GLssY3j7zKyd8gOgDMlHMk_lb4vjYY8Hw_V5Vvc2OTXMVl3hikq0pFpxUJdNKIJxKDkMrKH0Rpo5XF7u8xc9olHqBtmms6l2CL2D6wbRXt7SpLrx8rQ-5vuS82faY6IDhbUXt1iUQneNaZvrLDxH9YOaJu-AA5DZrAuVHypIxlQRd7x8VwVbDA=w1500-h1001-no

I'm freaked by any of these super imposing structures.. But they sure are cool!
My towns tallest skyscraper is a 100 year old concrete bldg, 4 stories tall. The history is that one guy built the whole thing mixing cement in a wheelbarrow with a shovel! Rebar was whatever he could find in scrap metal. Still standing and occupied as a tourist attraction and shop.. Was a house of ill repute back in the 50's and 60's.. :)

Eye of Sauron on the Salesforce Tower last Halloween in San Francisco. The top nine stories is an electronic screen. No my pic.

View attachment 1413559

Wow, nothing sinister about that!

My towns tallest skyscraper is a 100 year old concrete bldg, 4 stories tall. The history is that one guy built the whole thing mixing cement in a wheelbarrow with a shovel! Rebar was whatever he could find in scrap metal. Still standing and occupied as a tourist attraction and shop.. :)

That is so monumentally cool. On some jobs the plan examiner has made me account for every single fastener, usually with associated calculations. Nearly drove me insane.

The picture from the OP does look odd but the ones in the article showing a wider view look great.

Another way of looking at it - One mouse in the kitchen isn't much to fret about, but try wall to wall mices ... (eep!)

What if the elevator fails?

I heard they were leaving elevators out to keep the overall footprint of the building down. Now they'll be able to put a building on a 1500 square foot lot. Pass it on ... ;-}

That's exactly what I was talking about. We had many company dinners at Windows on the World and, maybe it was just me, but I swear, I could sense the movement.

I also dined there several times, the most memorable was at Cellar In The Sky, kind of a private refuge located within Windows On The World. One serving per evening, it sat 60 lucky diners. Chef`s choice (the menu changed every two weeks), it provided a seven course meal, with five kinds of wine, well-paired to the current dish being served. And the sommeliers had a VERY free hand with refilling glasses ! :)

It was a 4-hour gastronomic experience like nothing I had ever imagined. Food, wine, service, ambience....all were absolutely world class. Expensive but definitely worth it.

My biggest problem with those is they are built in areas with way too many people for my liking. Lets just say if the city has 10,000,000 people and 10% of the population are criminals (it is actually way higher because 6% of population spend time in prison) that means there are 1,000,000 criminals in a very small area. In smaller towns criminals stick out like a sore thumb while in metropolitan areas they tend to blend in and wreak havoc. Count me out.
Except that in Manhattan, most of those criminals will rob you with a Mont Blanc pen, instead of a gun....

I don't understand some of the "either / or" mentality in this thread.

I live on 6 private wooded acres away from the hustle and bustle of a city. I love mountains and wide open spaces too. OTOH, I can also certainly enjoy what a city has to offer and am absolutely fascinated by tall buildings and the views they afford.

For reference
I shot that this morning at about 7.
Your first shot was from around 45th or 46st.

The second shot was roughly from where i was 43rd and broadway.
Clearly your composition and exposure are better:beerchug::thumbsup:

For reference
I shot that this morning at about 7.
Your first shot was from around 45th or 46st.

The second shot was roughly from where i was 43rd and broadway.
Clearly your composition and exposure are better:beerchug::thumbsup:
I was wondering why there weren't any crowds.

Thanks, I'm serious about taking photos. :)

Parachute territory.

GqJPw75X_SwQKVsh67H8-yctvapf5I0W3rMj_gGWkn4bUPc53uXyvxgnwrF_LoVjTXTmriI9Ss2g3kgglC4S-Rw2qlucgExkA0rNPsaVDiuhzHxG0wzMQBnSZwvi3nvO1Bjp_grKcrr1eVsLQkW6YYQGZN414upO-Ug5tTtnYJ6z3Ig1ejXvTggI470bK4NDn_5Nrlp4YgeFRCknRs2hSts8vBcZB9_GS4FtIVmPFtPX7qA47u5tm0pTCHe5hhTTYcLS3lVHlh4d7GCmp1UIDh_Cb47pl8oHeMN6RNmZYN9xD3J8y_7CDE9hqrZoVpNZ_ZmGGVipgcSGnzNQrFX1EHpec7JY69heaqadKAJXTJU5utNUxRYBJ8NubNxFqsKNwHcKajTTsQqSTp_5WS1Q7Ed86yKyCnxbz6qFTpO2nCY69yEe-_Gnqbb7OpoSJHAN-rUVkN8NqtCf_In91a1ZFTqla0rZQz_5hiEKsB578GLssY3j7zKyd8gOgDMlHMk_lb4vjYY8Hw_V5Vvc2OTXMVl3hikq0pFpxUJdNKIJxKDkMrKH0Rpo5XF7u8xc9olHqBtmms6l2CL2D6wbRXt7SpLrx8rQ-5vuS82faY6IDhbUXt1iUQneNaZvrLDxH9YOaJu-AA5DZrAuVHypIxlQRd7x8VwVbDA=w1500-h1001-no

In case you're curious .
The double lit up floors are actually engineered wind pass thrus.
Those aren't occupied .
Obviously utilities and elevator shafts run through them. Towards the end of construction the heat trace wasn't complete on the plumbing and a cold spell came through and shattered some of the piping.

Back
Top Bottom