Anyone else lost interest in the NFL?

I'm not sure what drove my loss of interest, It just seems that with a lot of good players retiring early the level of play is down in my eyes. The officiating has been constantly problematic to the point that makes you wonder if the NFL home office is controlling the games. I just find other things more interesting these days. I do spend time watching the college games though.
Regards,
Jim
Yeah officiating has been awful. And for the first time in the history of NFL a ref has been fired mid season, not a good look.

Maybe I'm looking back with rose colored glasses.
It seemed like years ago, the expression, "on any given Sunday rang true".
I'll admit the worst teams seldom beat the best teams but the middle teams always seemed to have a shot. It also seemed like there was a larger pool of middle of the pack teams .
In that vein, if your team was ok you could watch and hope they'd pull it out.

Seems now there generally is a power house or 3.
4 teams a level down then everybody else.
If you're rooting for everybody else , your season is over by Halloween every year.
I guess that more than anything else makes the season uninteresting.
If you rooted for s baseball team and there season was over by the end of May. You'd likely stop watching too.
It's one thing to feel your team should go deep into the payoffs..
It's another to feel they don't have a chance.
At that point, there's not much to root for.
In an era of pay per view. Personal seat licenses, multi hundred (the cheap seats) seats. 10+ $ beer, 100 +$ Jerseys.
Being s sports fan is an inherent rollercoaster.
Fans are we/us (you don't play) (you don't get paid).
You can live and die (figuratively) on a game, on a play.
People throw things through their tvs.
While I've never destroyed my (or anybody else's) person property, I've certainly been caught up in the excitement (the moment)
For now football and baseball don't interest me. (Different reasons).
The Wilpons have ruined my baseball team.
My feeling now is if they can't put a watchable product on the field , it won't be watched.
I sort of feel that way (Not the ineptitude, perhaps indifference of ownership.
If the product sucks , I won't buy it.
It is a business. That's how business works.
Maybe when they lose revenue they'll try to improve the product.
In small markets, they move. In big markets there are enough die hards to perpetuate the business model:idea:

I sort of naturally weaned myself off football when I moved here 13 years ago as there is no Ota tv and a dish won't work. I used to watch it but now if someone asked me anything about the current teams I would have a blank stare. I don't even know who was in the superbowl last season. Funny but once it was gone I really didn't miss it and now am amused at how all consuming it can be.

My post got deleted in the move also.....though I can’t remember what I said, I’m sure it was at least pithy, or pissy or poetic.

The zebras got together, disallowed the original posts, and reset the clock to the day before the original thread was posted ...

the-call.jpg

The Mel Blount rule, free agency, poor officiating, and politics took a lot from the game.

For me, what broke the camel's back was Week 2, 2017 season, pre-game Steelers vs. Bears @ Soldier Field

If you don't know what happened then you must live under a rock.

Wikipedia says week 2 was Bears @ Tampa Bay, week 3 was Steelers @ Bears. OK, OK! I was under a rock both weeks. I'll bite. What happened?

. . .Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -- George Will

Well, with no huddle offenses and these new rules against targeting, both problems are on the way to being corrected. And Will, that pompous bow tie wearer, is a big baseball guy (as am I), so the committee meeting part is the pot calling the kettle black.

Lose interest in the NFL.....only briefly while my other favorite team the world champion Red Sox were mowing down everyone in sight. It also looks like yet another great year for the Patriots who seem to get better with each passing week

My interest in the NFL has waned a bit for all the aforementioned reasons.

However the NBA is all but extinct in my life. Boring as all hell. Two local sports guys said the NBA's appeal is based on its soap opera culture rather than the action. Contracts, player's dates, etc.

Also losing interest in "sports" news, which seems to have been taken over by gossip columnists reviewing, rehashing, and commenting endlessly on the latest antics of the superstars, with an occasional score thrown in for texture.

NFL stands for "Not F&$^&g aLlowed" in the house. After that rapacious bastard Dean Spanos and his rich asshole friends on the owner's committee (together with that worthless moron Goodell) conspired to move the Chargers to a market that hates them and where they are headed for total commercial failure (present win/loss record not withstanding), I wrote the whole league off. F' em all.

John

I have lost interest as well . Steeler fan here . Last great Steeler team was 2005 . Too PC anymore .

Mild sports fan here.
Only as long as it's the home team;)
No doubt contemporary big business concerns have lessened the enjoyment.
I have zero problems with players exercising their freedom of expression, good for them.

olyAbove^^ , but also...
I followed you about 1999.
...Stand up during the anthem, put your hand over your heart, and be grateful you live in the good ole US of A where you are rewarded handsomely for playing a game.
That is how it used to be. But now, there is some sort of business interest between the two. Read here.
https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-national-anthem-6f682cebc7cd/

This American thing of businesses being in bed with one another in dark, smoke-filled back rooms disgusts me.

This is as far as I dare take my comments outside of PolyChat, if I join there.

Back
Top Bottom