1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not into surround sound?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by Neo-Luddite, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Moderation note: OK. Back on topic and off of one another. Otherwise, this thread will go the way of all train wrecks, and vacations will be generously distributed.

Rich P

Dude111 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

One could argue that surround isn't needed for a certain genre of movie... like those depressing German films. I remember one I saw about a woman who was dealing with the trauma of a re-unified Germany... I would have preferred that that movie had not been a talkie... or even made. But then again, as an immersive experience the added ambiance that a proper surround system brings, while not necessary for, say, a courtroom drama, makes the experience of watching it somehow better. But yes, without it, 12 Angry Men is still 12 Angry Men and still awesome.

Tom Brennan likes this.
  3. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Have a pretty good surround system in my music rm, all separates including a stand alone surround processor, separate amplifiers for all channels etc, and yet I still prefer my music in stereo, surround for tv and movies. In other rooms I use stereo for all and don't feel I'm missing anything.

4. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

You know, I pondered this statement because I know it is true. I have concluded that it is at once true and irrelevant. People almost always express when they find something in particular not pleasurable because that thing stands out to them. People seldom do the same when something is realistic. They take that for granted because that is the "default setting". It's how things should be.

Let me give this illustration. In my younger days I spent a lot of time either singing/playing in front of a crowd or doing sound for an event. As a performer, I would generally either get complements or no feedback at all. it was very rare for someone to point out an aspect that could have been better. The few times that someone did, they were always trained in some aspect, it was never "regular" people.

Doing sound, OTOH, I would almost never hear a comment from a "regular" person thanking me for the balance being just right. The only complaint would be if something were either too loud or too soft. When something is just right it tends to not even be noticed by most. When the performer does a good job, everyone notices. When the sound man does a good job, nobody notices.

This leads me back to your post. When there is just the right amount of low frequency rumble in that helicopter scene, or the car pans audibly in an exact match to what it does visually, that is realism. People don't tend to notice it because it is the "default setting" as it were. It is how things are supposed to be. If it weren't there, would people notice that? I submit that they perhaps wouldn't overtly notice that particular detail, but rather they would talk about how the theater wasn't as good as that one down the street or that the movie didn't draw them in.

Audiofreak71 and +48V like this.
  5. markshan

Okay, let me ask you. Have you ever listened to something that was mixed for surround? I want to get an idea of what percentage of people who reject it out of hand have either never heard it or have only heard processed "surround". As I said above, I don't like that stuff either.

6. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

ELP's Lucky Man (bonus track) from the Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A is amazing in mch/surround. I first heard it at Ivan Messer's place (aka Masterlu, for the oldtimers still around). Knew then it would be standard/demo material to have on hand.

+48V and spicer like this.

7. MannyE

I recently went to see "Being Human" the band that plays behind Steven Colbert here in Miami and the mix was just amazing. You are right that the sound guy probably never gets any compliments because when I told him I thought the sound was fantastic, the surprise on his face was almost comical! He then thanked me very sincerely. LOL. The sound WAS freaking amazing though.

markshan likes this.
  8. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

I'm not interested and don't care about surround. When I sit in a movie theatre I'm never convinced; especially because what I see is not in surround so it never matches up for me.

beat_truck likes this.
  9. markshan

Plus, if we were "regular people", we would be on FB right now instead of here. I don't mean us when I talk about regular people (but I do mean us when I say most have little idea how to set up their rooms).

10. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

Two channel only here, on speakers that don't need a sub. Bliss.

11. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

12. turnitdown

Not into surround. I tried it with some really nice gear, I just don't care enough to like surround.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  13. MannyE

It IS quite a pain in the ass to set up everything correctly. I have to admit, if we were talking music only, I would not go through all the trouble and expense of setting up surround. 2 channel is more than enough.

14. turnitdown

It SOUNDS great and I liked it. In the big room, running the extra wires is a HUGE challenge - but MORE huge is getting the self-admitted Luddite women in the house to operate it in its simplest form. No complaints. That's life.

15. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

[​IMG]

Harvestor likes this.
  16. markshan

There are several albums for which the 5.1 experience has so enhanced them for me as to make it completely worth the journey it was to get there.

17. markshan

That's exactly my point. You can't mix mono to 5.1. I don't like fake surround any more than I like fake stereo.

18. markshan

I think there is room for both in the world. There is certainly room for both in my home.

+48V likes this.
  19. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

All thanks to CERWIN VEGA!
    & The 1974 movie Earthquake.....

I love Movies with immersive surround sound....... but hate music in the surround format.
    Music should be Heard in Stereo in front of you....

KeninDC likes this.
  20. markshan

Which surround format?