Anyone else not into surround sound?

Doing sound, OTOH, I would almost never hear a comment from a "regular" person thanking me for the balance being just right. The only complaint would be if something were either too loud or too soft. When something is just right it tends to not even be noticed by most. When the performer does a good job, everyone notices. When the sound man does a good job, nobody notices.

I recently went to see "Being Human" the band that plays behind Steven Colbert here in Miami and the mix was just amazing. You are right that the sound guy probably never gets any compliments because when I told him I thought the sound was fantastic, the surprise on his face was almost comical! He then thanked me very sincerely. LOL. The sound WAS freaking amazing though.

I'm not interested and don't care about surround. When I sit in a movie theatre I'm never convinced; especially because what I see is not in surround so it never matches up for me.

I recently went to see "Being Human" the band that plays behind Steven Colbert here in Miami and the mix was just amazing. You are right that the sound guy probably never gets any compliments because when I told him I thought the sound was fantastic, the surprise on his face was almost comical! He then thanked me very sincerely. LOL. The sound WAS freaking amazing though.
Plus, if we were "regular people", we would be on FB right now instead of here. I don't mean us when I talk about regular people (but I do mean us when I say most have little idea how to set up their rooms).

Not into surround. I tried it with some really nice gear, I just don't care enough to like surround.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not into surround. I tried it with some really nice gear, I just don't care enough to like surround.

It IS quite a pain in the ass to set up everything correctly. I have to admit, if we were talking music only, I would not go through all the trouble and expense of setting up surround. 2 channel is more than enough.

It SOUNDS great and I liked it. In the big room, running the extra wires is a HUGE challenge - but MORE huge is getting the self-admitted Luddite women in the house to operate it in its simplest form. No complaints. That's life.

warning.jpg

There are several albums for which the 5.1 experience has so enhanced them for me as to make it completely worth the journey it was to get there.

When there is just the right amount of low frequency rumble in that helicopter scene, or the car pans audibly in an exact match to what it does visually, that is realism. It is how things are supposed to be. If it weren't there, would people notice that?
No.

An increasing majority of folks watch movies at home with little if any *effects* via purchased / rented media or streamed from an increasing variety of sources. They really don't care.

Many are quite content watching 4:3 content distorted to fit their 16:9 screens.

Last edited:
No.

An increasing majority of folks watch movies at home with little if any *effects* via purchased / rented media or streamed from an increasing variety of sources. They really don't care.

Many are quite content watching 4:3 content distorted to fit their 16:9 screens.
I can't argue with that. Many are. But I think my statement is true for as many as it isn't, if not more.

As to the increasing majority, is that really because they don't find the theater experience preferable, or could there simply be economic or convenience factors at play?

As to the increasing majority, is that really because they don't find the theater experience preferable, or could there simply be economic or convenience factors at play?

I like going to the movies but sometimes it's all I can do to contain myself from barking at the wrapper-rustlers, popcorn chompers, talkers, and those that have to come and go a dozen times during the movie.

Moderation Note: OK. This thread has been cleaned up and put back on line. If you like the topic, stay on it. One more interpersonal dust-up will result in a closed thread and vacations for participants. You are all on notice here. I don't recommend that you test me.

Rich P

Last edited:
[Content deleted by Mod]

Back on topic... music 95% NO surround.

OLD MOVIES... no surround.

Anything after EARTHQUAKE... (including Earthquake) ... as much surround as possible. I keep an eye out for Crown D-70 rack mount amps because one day I'll have the room to use 11 of them!

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

When people set 16:9 TV's to full screen for 4:3 video it irks me to no end. I've pointed to them out how such settings chop of the top and bottom of real HD material. They don't listen. IMO they don't seem to understand the differences that different aspect ratios present.

Back
Top Bottom