Anyone else not into surround sound?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by Neo-Luddite, Mar 21, 2013.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Listening to Queen's - Night at the Opera in surround, if the system is setup right, will blow your mind. Same with Yes - Fragile, ELP - Brian Salad Surgery - they are just amazing in surround.

Spiceman50 and markshan like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

IMO the better that music sounds the worse it is.

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

4. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

A few years ago I really got into Frugal Horns and ended up building a pair for me and a pair for a friend. To make a long story short I ended up with my friend's pair. I didn't know what to do with two pair and then suddenly I was inspired to build a matching center and go 5.1. Good decision on my part as I absolutely love this diy surround system. Still crazy about OB's in stereo but for concerts like Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" or "Rio" they're an almost out of body experience. No reason folks shouldn't enjoy both stereo and surround systems.

P8080048.jpg

5. Poultrygeist

Rear Frugal Horn surround speakers

Attached Files:

6. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

7. Poultrygeist

awillia6 likes this.
  8. Poultrygeist

So much dialogue comes from the center channel and the 4.5" Fostex is such a detail freak my aged ears don't miss much with this system. I built the center speaker based on the Fostex site plans but massaged the volume dimensions so that it fits on the shelf below the Vizio 65". There may be some out there but this is the only surround system using all full range single drivers I've seen.

The sub in the corner is a Bob Carver Sunfire. The AVR is a Yamaha RX-V377. Other components include a Roku 4, Firestick, IVIEW DVR/tuner, Panasonic Blu-ray BD80 and Belkin Clean Power surge protector. On pre-order is the new Channel Master Stream+ to replace the dodgy IVIEW. I started a thread on this soon to be released android DVR/OTA tuner. I cut the cable several years ago thanks to a big boom antenna mounted in the attic. FWIW my monthly bill is $60 for high speed internet and $10 for Netflix which represents a major saving over my former cable bill.

P8080060.jpg

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

For music I feel the same way. I'm not always ready to be perched in one particular listening position, so what good is surround if I've got things turned up while I work in the kitchen, for instance? I'll get the urge maybe once every couple of years, but the novelty wears off after a week or so, and then I can't wait to pack away the spare amps and speakers and get the house back to normal.

I think what bothers me (other than speakers all over the room) is that I don't like being in the middle of the music--my ideal surround experience for music would be the orchestra in the front on a "stage" with only the hall ambiance coming at me from the rear at a realistic level, or a live performance (of anything) set up similarly. Hearing a studio-recorded jazz or rock group with instruments coming at me from all angles now is disconcerting at the least, and an annoyance or gimmick at the worst. Sad thing is, it took me dozens of surround discs to realize it's not my thing. But at least they had high-res stereo versions on the same discs, so it was not a total loss.

So, same here--my money goes into a good stereo rig instead.

I don't do movies much anymore, so a home theater setup is pointless.

10. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I agree with you regarding being in the middle of the music. Fortunately, most classical music is recorded with the surround channels providing ambience, audience and general hall sounds so there is none of that sitting on stage effect. With rock, pop, R&B, blues it's a crapshoot.

11. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, I have found that is not the case. The better the system, with matched speakers, makes surround just sound bloody amazing.

Spiceman50 and markshan like this.

12. Spiceman50

Spiceman50 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice post @Poultrygeist, I appreciat(ed) the DIY efforts. There have been a few times that I have tuned the receiver to 9 channel when I couldn't stay in the room or, was in and out. I have always appreciated surround for movies but music not so much. Still, once in a great while when I couldn't sit directly in front of the speakers. However, with my latest system, I discovered one setting that changed my world. Dolby Surround Decode. It is a 5.1 setting, however .... what it sends to the Surrounds is subdued. Only a hint from the left and right. It duplicates just about every venue I have ever been to, to a degree. It widens the sound stage and not in an artificial way. It centers the performer to the center channel and everything sounds natural. I don't always hear the surrounds, but thats the way its supposed to be. Music is there, but you only really notice it when it's not there.

I have been to many venues in my lifetime. From the Hollywood Bowl, to Las Vages, to Tea Cellers as well as the Star Plex in Dallas to name a very few, and in every venue I can think back on, all of them had speakers lining the sides and back of the room (or lawn). Dolby surround decodes 2 channel in the most natural way. I have no idea what other systems have that provides this exact same feature or provides the same effect, but the Yamaha Avantage 3070 does and it does it in a most remarkable way.

I totally get that 2 channel should be listened to in the way it was produced, and that said ... it's the way I had always preferred to listen to music. However, I have never listened to a 2 channel performance of any show I have ever been too. That is the home venue I've been (and found), looking for. (Minus the wafting of various herbal and hops libations) I can instantly remember the time and place where I heard a song live that I'm playing on the system now. And I can't help but smile while remembering.

13. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Agreed there. It doesn't matter how good or matched a system is if I just don't like those surround programs in the first place. ;) Most of the high-res classical I own is either the three-channel variety (left, center, right) or stereo, largely due to them being reissues of past recordings.

14. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Money + Money =More Money

Not a fan of surround. I do have a new HT system but only use large mains and two really nice subs. I do have a smaller pair of speakers sitting on top of the mains that "fake surround" is sent to. The Yammie AVR has a setting which simulates a surround effect using an extra pair of speakers in the front. I jerk around with it at times but mostly don't use it.

I can say this much however...I really like how the Movie Theater Standard setting along with the Enhancer sounds with most music. It really comes alive. Almost like an expander on steroids.