anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by gadget73, Sep 11, 2012.

1. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I just fitted my Empire 66 E/X to my Garrard Zero-100 in place of the Stanton 680E.V3 and I have to say I'm really liking it. Its got a better bass line than the Stanton had, and it hasn't lost the highs. The mids are a little weaker but its actually pretty nicely balanced. This stylus only has about 5 hours on it at most though, so I expect it may improve with playing. Not too shabby. The cart came with my AR/XA and I bought an NOS Empire elliptical stylus for it for 23 bucks.

Who else has one of these things in rotation? Whats it bolted to?

2. seminole54

seminole54 AK Member Subscriber

Gadget

I currrently have a 66 QE/X with the OEM nude .2 x .7 stylus mounted to a JVC QL-A7 and it sounds great. I got it included in a TT deal before Christmas and never even tryed it until last week. Kind of reminds me of the Shure M91-ED, it just needs to be loaded in the 400-500 capacitance range to sound it's best.

Jack

3. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

I have a 2000E/III with an lpgear stylus($40-$50 model) on my living room Technics SL-Q3. It has been there for awhile, and it sounds alright. It is my "won't cry too much if my toddler breaks something" set up.:D She's been really good with it, so I may try something else there someday. Maybe even bump up the stylus option when this one is done.:scratch2:

I also have another couple of bodies that are the same/similar. They are waiting for a stylus.

And I have another, newer Empire. I think it is a TC40. There isn't a ton of info on these. Apparently they were from when Benz owned Empire. That's what was mentioned in a thread I started, anyway.

4. nbarber

nbarber I was once told "That is a damn good stereo". Subscriber

I have a 2000E/I that I bought from a fellow AK'r last year. It's been on a HK T35c and seen plenty of play time. It was my primary until upgrading to an MC, now it's used for first plays of used records to test their quality. Still sounds great.

5. Doug G.

Doug G. Addicted Member

I have:

2000 E/I
    2000 E/III
    2000Z
    All with genuine Empire styli
    OP4 with S400TC (genuine Empire) stylus

For CD-4 Quadradiscs:

4000 D/I
    440D
    Both with genuine Empire styli

I like them all.

Doug

6. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

The Empire 2000 E/III with original stylus on a Sansui headshell (with build in azimuth correction). :music:

7. Coastsider

Coastsider Curmudgeon

I have an Empire 4000D/III cartridge with a genuine Empire bi-radial stylus in the 990 tonearm on my 598 III. For backup I have an NOS Empire 2000E/III cartridge with elliptical stylus still in the box.

8. elza

elza Active Member

Empire 1000ZE/X

9. wualta

wualta < Spike Milligan, 1961

RM 50 body with S77LAC stylus
    440D with OEM stylus
    EXL 30 with S915E stylus (basically the same as a 2000Z with its 0.2mg moving mass spec)

10. kirk57

kirk57 Some guy on the Internet Subscriber

I somehow came to own a 100s with no stylus. Ordered a 200e stylus for it from JICO, and I'm surprised at how much I like it. It seems to be a more lively sounding cart, in the vein of ATs and Stanton's I've had.

I also was recently given a 808e, which is pretty old, and fairly low inductance (390mH)
    I'm investigating stylus options for that one. A lot of output (8mv!) from the 808.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  11. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a 888E with *new stylus (about 3 years old). It gets about 5 albums per year. Sure is a loud cart. I wouldn't call it accurate or musical. Tracks fine, but doesn't trace fine. Sounds better than the ADC QLM36 mklll I had and Linn K9. <~~~<< prolly the worst cart I ever owned.

12. mainrhythm

mainrhythm Member

Have a 2000E but had an unknown ground buzz last time I tried it. Going to have to try it again.

13. Doug G.

Doug G. Addicted Member

If your turntable has a metal headshell and it is grounded to the turntable base, you have to make sure you have the metal cartridge body completely isolated from the headshell or a ground loop will be created since there will end up being two ground paths from the cartridge.

The other way of eliminating it is to remove the little ground strap at the rear of the cartridge but I don't like doing that.

Doug

14. mainrhythm

mainrhythm Member

Thank you. I reinstalled it on a Technics headshell. All good now. :banana: Last time install was on a generic silver headshell. Back to the thread.

15. Multiplex

Multiplex Appease my earhole.

Empire OP-4. That's a "Chunky" body, with a .4 x .7 elliptical stylus, I believe. Sounds so-so, tracks surprisingly well. It's not my fave, but worth keeping in the lineup.

16. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Funny you say that. I had this on the AR/XA when I got it, and I swapped it for the Shure M93E that I have. I also thought they sounded similar.

Multiplex, when you say the "chunky" body, do you mean the wide body that clips into a spring steel clip? If so, thats what my 66E/X is. It seems Empire made a pile of cartridge bodies that were the same and fitted a lot of different stylii to them and called them various different models. Everyone else did that too, so I guess its no surprise.

17. Multiplex

No spring clip, actually. These are black with a square-ish, bulky design that seats right against the headshell. The cool thing about these is that they have threaded holes, so you don't have to worry about those obnoxious tiny nuts. The plastic stylus pull is translucent green with a flip-down stylus guard.

I don't know what this design is called, but I have heard of them referred to as "chunkies" here on AK, and found that an appropriate title. Maybe later on tonight I can shoot a photo and post it. These seem to be hard cartridges to find any info about, for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  18. wualta

wualta < Spike Milligan, 1961

They's just weird, that's what they is. I call 'em Chunkies because they look too wide to fit in a standard headshell. About the threaded holes, though. Those are actually square black plastic nuts friction-fit into slots in the sides. A good jostle will make some of them fall out, ask me how I know. If you have your Chunky nuts, you're a lucky man. Heh heh.

Jocularity aside, the Dynamic Interface series ("Chunkies") followed the EDR.9 into the marketplace, and this series pretty much replaced the metal ovoid ones Gadget was thinking of.

And yes, they made a smothering blizzard of both types. The metal blob kind came in 3 different inductance flavors, so you have to be careful to put a given body with a stylus that was "voiced" for it. The Chunkies are a little easier, with only two, one for the high-falutin' ones and one for the rest of us.

Geek notes: Even though Empire had already reached a significant milestone with the previous series of metal-bodied carts, namely the claimed 0.2mg ETM (effective [moving] tip mass) of the 2000Z/T and their clones, they didn't go there again until the series that followed the Chunkies and used their styli, the GT or "Golden Touch" (ew!) series.

The EDR.9 reached down to 0.3mg, but during the reign of the cartridges that actually looked chunky, the styli had ETMs no better than 0.6mg, the same as the old 2000 series. But then the GT series hit. Their styli have gold-coated cantilevers and have a claimed ETM of 0.18mg. The interesting thing is, they were voiced for 700mH bodies, so the cheapest Chunkies can use GT styli-- if you can find them.

[​IMG]

To put this all in context, Empire's own quad carts were 0.4mg. The 1000ZE/X was 0.5mg. A V15 Type III was 0.33mg and a V15VMR was 0.179mg. All figures are those claimed by their manufacturers, of course. For ADC fanatics, the claimed figure for the first-gen XLM was 0.15mg.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  19. GEKone

GEKone New Member

wualta, would you be so kind as to expand on the "inductance flavors" and the different styli that go with the differnt carts.

20. Multiplex

Gots me some pics!

This is the OP 4 "Chunky" body cartridge.

Attached Files: