anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Success, sort of. It plays and doesn't seem like it wants to rotate out of true. I left it on the Alexandria/Basik Plus as that is the lowest mass arm I can offer (EM of 10g). Given that we still don't even know what this stylus is I have it set at 1.75g for now.

Sadly, no veils were lifted from my music, not so far at least. It's actually not as loud as one would think from the output spec so maybe the cantilever isn't in the correct spot yet.

Your measurements are right in line with my TE and reports from others on the SE. Same body.

So today, I decided to try the 888 in the AR XA, and gradually exposed the suspect stylus to some of my more cherished records. I was worried the lack of AS might make it lean into the curve but it was fine. Sound-wise, I found it delightful on a variety of material from 80s pop/rock to bachelor pad music to Mingus to classical. One thing I like to throw at every contender is Holst's Planets. If "Mars" and "Saturn" don't strike fear into the listener, I have no use for a cartridge. It certainly passed, but then left me curiously cold on another must, Schubert's Unfinished.

Ah well. This particular stylus probably has a snapped tie-wire and is at least partially worn (though sibilants were very good, considering it was not perfectly aligned and slightly off 90 degrees) so that's a solid showing. Right now it's sitting upright for the WD-40 treatment, to try and lock in the azimuth. Not sure yet how far I want to go with this, though $49 for the 999VE stylus is definitely too much. A lesser Empire, or the Duotone 4236-ZDE. Would the S808-ERD work in this body?

I'd hold off on the WD-40 treatment until/unless it becomes obvious the stylus won't survive without it. As for the S808E stylus, it was for a "popularly-priced" line, so not as good as the SE on paper, but who knows, it might be okay. Haven't tried it myself, so I don't know. But yes, it would fit the SE body.

Too late, WD-40 (a minuscule amount) is already doing whatever it will do. Although the suspension was fine, it was just way too easy to rotate this stylus.

I joined the Vintage Empire Cart Club (VECC).

888 with a pink elliptical stylus from www.thevoiceofmusic.com

Sorry for crappy pic. Sounds pretty good to me, lots of low end and pretty detailed mids and highs. Tracks very well at 1.5g. I haven't tried lower yet.

MCS 2500 TT with original headshell. Jazz mostly.

IMG_20180226_1806237.jpg

Eric

Hey, it's the week of the 888s around here. The loose cantilever on mine firmed up nicely with the WD-40 baptism. So it got to challenge the current champion in my house, a Yamaha MC-11. It was a brief fight though... The MC really does everything better, even through my very modest amplification.

The 888 will get some more play time back in the Linn arm which makes it so much easier to play around with VTF and VTA.

Is there a timeline anywhere on the web for all the Empire carts? I'd like to know some manufacturer years etc.

Eric

I'm not aware of one. The simplest (but not entirely error-free) way to determine the incept times of various models is the series of yearly indexes published by Audio magazine. Cross-reference those with ads and new product announcement blurbs and you can usually get close to a model's place on the timeline.

I'm not aware of one. The simplest (but not entirely error-free) way to determine the incept times of various models is the series of yearly indexes published by Audio magazine. Cross-reference those with ads and new product announcement blurbs and you can usually get close to a model's place on the timeline.
Blade Runner reference?

John

I've seen cartridges you people wouldn't believe. Styli tracking at less than a gram off the shoulder of Orion. I watched square-shanked diamonds attack poorly pressed vinyl near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time for a new stylus, or at least some WD40. But I only do eyes.

Sorry, John, give me an opening and I gotta run with it.:D

I've seen cartridges you people wouldn't believe. Styli tracking at less than a gram off the shoulder of Orion. I watched square-shanked diamonds attack poorly pressed vinyl near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time for a new stylus, or at least some WD40. But I only do eyes.

Sorry, John, give me an opening and I gotta run with it.:D

That’s completely Batty!

I asked the Jico for a full specification on the needle S4000D1 and that's what I got -

EMPIRE 4000D/1 [e002526]
Tip : shibata 5-8r x 65-75r (micro)
bonded diamond tipTracking force : 1.0~1.75g
Output Voltage : 2.5mV
Channel Balance : within 1.5dB at 1kHz
Compliance at100Hz:
10×10-6cm/dyne(lateral)
8×10-6cm/dyne(vertical)
Frequency range : 20 - 20,000 Hz

Cunning Japanese make needles for their medium-heavy tonearms :mad:

I asked the Jico for a full specification on the needle S4000D1 and that's what I got -

EMPIRE 4000D/1 [e002526]
Tip : shibata 5-8r x 65-75r (micro)
bonded diamond tipTracking force : 1.0~1.75g
Output Voltage : 2.5mV
Channel Balance : within 1.5dB at 1kHz
Compliance at100Hz:
10×10-6cm/dyne(lateral)
8×10-6cm/dyne(vertical)
Frequency range : 20 - 20,000 Hz

Cunning Japanese make needles for their medium-heavy tonearms :mad:
Interesting. Here are the original specs from Empire:
4000DI.jpg
I understand "replacement" doesn't mean "replicate" but if a stylus is for a specific model, I would expect some of the specifications to come close to the original.

Back
Top Bottom