Anyone Else Sit Way to Close to Their System?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Flyingbase, May 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM.

1. Flyingbase

Flyingbase Member

As I'm sitting here writing this post I am sitting in what I've dubbed the "music nest". A spot on my floor between my bed and speakers which puts me about a foot and half from my speakers. I find my self here a lot, often using my sub as a laptop rest (like I am now). Was curious if if anyone else does this or similar?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat Addicted Member

I've tried nearfield listening, but it is not for me. Others, however, report great success.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  3. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

I've got headphones. Do they count?

I do the nearfield thing in my home office. I like it.

4. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Way back in my teenage days I would lay on the bedroom floor and pull my speakers up to my head and crank Black Sabbath, AC/DC etc. Oh the things we did when we were young and foolish. :rolleyes:

Bill Ferris and Roadrash like this.
  5. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

I'm not too far from that, believe it or not. I put them wherever there's space!

6. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

My seat is the other way, a little too far back from the sweet spot.

I went to see a buddy of mine back in high school days (circa 1970) and his mom waved me on back to his bedroom, but no one was there. She told me to check his closet. He had moved his new OLAs into a small closet along with the rest of the system, and was choosing an LP when I checked, else I'd have heard him. He sat on one speaker and I on the other, at his insistence, so that I would get the full experience. So I managed to sit there for one song, ill at ease because of the invasion of my personal space, and was not impressed with the effect. They sounded much better in the room to me, and I helped him move it back.

I have enjoyed near-field listening to small speakers, though. They'd probably sound better than OLAs in such a tight space, though I do understand the OP's scenario wasn't about small space.

ev13wt likes this.

7. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

Back in 2012 or so (if memory serves me well) ... when I first started streaming from my Desktop PC ... got into near field listening with a usb dac/Audioengine A2 desktop speakers/ Yamaha sub. Use to listen to quite a few albums that way for a few years ... then I got a
    Laptop/usb dac for my mains .. and that was the end of that adventure. Still listen occasionally near field (Desktop PC) but not much.

8. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm about 14 feet away and that's still to close for what I'm using. It's just the way it is. Part and parcel. I don't have a desk.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM
  9. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nearfield in the office, my KEF 103.2's sound great that way!

My main system, I'm probably only 7 feet away...haven't measured...probably a bit too close, but it still sounds good. MY KEF 107's have heads that swivel so I can at least easily point the high frequencies where they need to go. One reason (of many) that I'm likely to keep these speakers for good.

10. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use the Cardas formulas to get my basic seat set up and then tweak a little from there. I have heard people call this near field. I feel I am positioned in the front of the sound stage, although some phono cartridges and recordings actually sound more 3D and tend to envelop you.

I do not like being inside this triangle as much as I tend to lose some of the stereo effects.

11. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Active Member

I like being closer. Im in a 5 1/2 speaker width x 9’ chair triangle now
    When i move the chair closer i get “the look” from wife.

12. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

My bedroom system could be classified as near, no, maybe medium field for listening. I have a pair of Pioneer BS-SP-21's on 28" high stands at the foot of my bed. I admit they're used mostly for watching TV/Movies. There is also an 8" Monoprice powered sub along with a center channel (Parts Express C-452) and surround (Minimus 7) speakers. A Yamaha RX V-377 controls the whole shebang.

In my bedroom I much prefer listening to music via a laptop -> HiFimeDIY USB DAC -> Little Dot MkII -> Monolith M560's.

13. Flyingbase

Flyingbase Member

Before all your replies I didn't know near field listening was a thing, or that there are certain speakers meant/better suited for it. I get the feeling that the Pioneer CS-99As I use are not the best suited for near field.

14. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Nope.... I prefer a bit of distance. The speakers in my second system tend to sound harsh when close to them. Extremely revealing and transparent at 1.5m or more

15. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know about that. Some might consider CS-99A near field listening a luxury. You seem to be comfortable in the "music nest" with the tweeters at what I'm told is the proper listening ear height.
    Enjoy.

16. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I try to shoot for an equilateral triangle when possible. If the speakers are 3' apart than I'm trying for 3' away. Otherwise when it's not feasible I am always slightly further out, never cared for being greater than 30 deg to each speaker.

Bill Ferris likes this.