Anyone else using an Akai AT-93?

audiomagnate

Addicted Member
Probably not a whole lot of people, and I know why. I worked for Mitsubishi in the late 80's early 90's when Mitsubishi took over Akai. I think the idea at the time was that Akai would be to Mitsubishi as Awai was to Sony, i.e. a lower end alternative. Right before the takeover, when Mitsubishi was moving from some decent, well designed separates (the DA series for example) to cheesy AV oriented rack systems, Akai released, some really amazingly well designed and well built equipment, the 93 series. It was so good that it was an embarrassment to Mitsubishi, like a Scion outperforming a Lexus.

Upper management decided to kill off the 93 series and the entire US inventory was sold off to Mitsubishi employees at way below cost. That's how I got mine. Tuner info has hints that it might be a giant slayer, but it has been "on deck" for years now:
===================================== From www.tunerinfo.com
Akai AT-93 (1988, $600, front 1, front 2, open, inside, Audio review) search eBay
The very rare AT-93 was Akai's most expensive and perhaps best tuner. Our contributor Miklos reports, "I bought mine in Germany and it was sitting in storage for about two years waiting for me to find a schematic to change the de-emphasis to 75 µS. Since I couldn't find a diagram, I finally decided to do it anyway. The tuner has a completely discrete audio output stage, with about eight transistors in each channel. The de-emphasis is sort of a unusual one (balanced?), requiring one to change four capacitors, instead the usual two. The unit uses quality components, like copper film capacitors - I've never seen anything like it in any other tuner. It is running now, and has heavenly sound." Our contributor Ray D. calls the AT-93 "an ergonomic and functional masterpiece: lots of functions, lots of automation and manual overrides for everything. Brilliant." The AT-93 usually sells for $250-285 on eBay, with a recent low of $127 in 11/06 and a recent high of $395 in 3/08 as two guys ran it up from $117.
end of quote ============================================

Audio mag raved about its performance and its uncannily smart automatic functions. I have one in my system and one NIB, and I have to say it's the best sounding and receiving tuner I've ever owned, and I've owned many many tuners. Any other fans out there? I know its black face and digital readout turn a lot of people off, but, hey it's all about the sound, isn't it?

I had one. Ranks with the very best sounding digitals I have heard, possibly the finest. Strangely, even after an alignment it did not have super reception or quieting. Certainly good, but not the best. Features and functions were first rate also. Apparently the Euro versions had an extra tuning gang and were even better

I have one and use it in my main system even though the display is a bit wonky.
I've found this tuner exceptionally quiet and even though I have relatively poor reception, or rather had with my other Nikko tuner, the Akai sounds great even with weaker signals.

The problem with these is that since Akai is no more, non generic parts are unavailable should the Tuner need anything done to it.

An expert on the AT-93 told me their weak point was the power supply design. Apparently they got some basic stuff wrong. The display is prone to problems such as fluctuating brightness and sometimes outright failure. They also run very hot in one spot, at the front on one side IIRC, so running it with the top off is not a bad idea.

It's a great tuner, below is a blurb from the marketing brochure. It's one of the few tuners that had a true diversity function. That means it had 2 antenna inputs, and selected the best one for each station. Great for people that may want to set up two wall mounted dipoles at right angles to each other, to get stations from an omnidirectional perspective.
Dipoles have poor reception pointing off the 2 ends.
Bob

Attachments

• akai_AT_93.jpg
    akai_AT_93.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 120
I have one of these and I'm listening to it right now while watching the Broncos/Patriots game. I love this tuner and it's the best one I have personally ever owned. I have the original owners manual and the box it came in.

Very good reception.....

It's one on my 'love to try' list. I wonder how it would compare with my Yamaha T-85?

Having owned both, I would say both are excellent. Neither is for someone looking for a tube like sound. They are clean, open and dynamic. I would give the sonic edge to the Akai but both have a similar signature. I had the Akai aligned and it was stunning, my T-85 was as found. Oddly, neither was among the best I have had for reception and quieting despite their reputations in that department.

I just picked up one of these beauties and understand most of it's functions. :banana: However, if anyone has or knows where I can get a copy of the owners manual please PM me or post.

So far it sounds fantastic and pulls in all sorts of stations clearly. Just comparing to a few other tuners for the next week or two.

Cheers and happy listening.:music:

Because of this thread I just bought one. :smoke:

BTW. for anybody in need, I did upload the user- and service manuals to the AK tech library.

Last edited:
Received mine today. Just plugged it in and its playing music at the moment. Very nice!

I have indoor dipole antenna and a roof antenna and the AT-93 is finding more FM-stations than I usually do with my other tuners. And the automatics really seem to work - it instantly tunes stations very cleanly, makes its choices (antenna, wide/narrow etc.) and then its perfect. I am very happy with this unit after only a short experience. :music::smoke:

awbx2b.jpg

The Akai AT-93 is a brilliant tuner. My Sony STS-333esxII tuners are better but not by much. The only other one that came close is my Pioneer F-90. Not only that, the Akai has rosewood sides like the Sony.

Pure class.

I just got one this month to add to my tuner collection. This is one very nicely featured and sounding tuner.

I realize this is a old Thread but...I have one of these. I actually have a COMPLETE Akai Reference master System with all manuals, remotes and even original boxes. AM-93 Amp, CD-73 Cd player, GX-95 Deck and the AT-93 Tuner. Pretty cool system and the Tuner works excellent. Very good quality and all have Rosewood panels. Thought about selling it all a few times but it would take quite a bit to pry them from my hands....

I'm not big on audio products from Akai but I do have to give them credit on building (or used to, from back in the day, 70's) excellent tuners.

I currently have several tuners in my audio collection and two of those are from Akai, models AT-550 and an AT-580 and these were built back in day when quality really meant something and was an important aspect into building audio equipment that was made to last a long time. Built solid with real wood grain side panels and excellent display. Switched the original internal light bulbs to LED's and it just brings the display to life, like it just pops out at you when looking at it.

These tuners would start pulling in stations right as soon as the tuner was switched on and this is without an antenna. Then hook up an FM antenna to it and then it would start pulling in and lock on to FM stations from far away distances!

I would concur that they made excellent tuners apart from the AT-93. I picked up a couple of very basic 3 gang analog Akai tuners to try out, the type that go for next to nothing. They sounded very nice.

I've been pleased with the Akai AT-2600 that I bought off of Bartertown a couple of years ago. The only tuner that gets more play here is the lush "tube-like" Kenwood KT-8007.

Agreed, very good bass from the 5 gang AT-2600 as I recall. The 4 gang AT-2450 is another Akai winner. I would guess the AT-2650 and AT-2400 are pretty comparable.

Back
Top Bottom