anyone ever contemplate just getting rid of everything?

In the end, I have to constantly remind myself that it's all just "stuff". Sure, it's fun to research and chase and touch and purchase and collect and admire this gear, but it's still just stuff. Very few of it is truly irreplaceable. And that chase can become pretty maddening too.

I've spent my time in this hobby with the goal of experiencing as much as I can. Which meant more time acquiring and selling than it did listening. My system got ever more complex until I started to realize that the complexity was taking away from my enjoyment of the music. So I've been spending my time making my system ever more simple. Thankfully, I've noticed my enjoyment of this hobby increase with each step toward simplicity.

I'm not saying you should ditch it all, but I am in favor or whittling down to one simple system and ditching the rest. Earth will keep spinning.

I'm 46 and still appreciating some "quiet time' with a bit of Slipknot now and then.

But only when the GF isnt around. Why dont more women appreciate metal? lols

I got lucky, my GF was only into Metal when we got together. Now I am showing her the rest of the music world and the Metal she doesn’t know about.

:rockon:

Also thinned out to the bare minimum for moving into a tiny house and haven’t looked back. I do keep looking at projects as they pop up in BT. So far I have resisted. Get rid of the excess if you have any and enjoy when you can.

I've sold off many amps, receivers, speakers over the years, and a few of them I wish I still had. But at any one time I have at least one system going, and that's all I need. At present it's two simple systems. My main system is seriously listened to (rear end in seat in sweet spot with no distractions) a few hours a month. Otherwise, it filters music through the house at dinnertime, cocktail hour, & sometimes when I'm on the computer. Crown amp, ARC preamp, Technics CD changer, David Markle custom speakers. The second system goes with the flatscreen. Sansui amp, Soundmates speakers, driven by various Blu Ray and DVD players. Unless my canoe comes in, or something breaks, that's it until I fall off the twig. The upshot is that I just don't need any superfluous gear.

Back
Top Bottom