Anyone ever have CaptainFantastic work done - guy is jerk off

Status
Not open for further replies.

donberry

I have a HK Citation II needs restored, am moving to Mexico so just curious I see him on Ebay and message him. Tell him what I have, po started to upgrade it, was never finished. Chassis was painted and new sockets put in it but that's it. I do have all the parts. Wondering if u could give me a ballpark figure for something like this"

Normal person's reply if they didn't want to work on it something like "I'm sorry but I don't work on units that are fully disaassembled, give a made up reason why and hit send.

Captainfantastic16 - his answer told me all I needed to know about him. Even if he was a decent tech he's too big an asshole to work on my stuff.

His reply - I don't work on ****ed up stuff.

One could read that as him saying "I'm sorry, even tho all the parts are there and this was sold in kit form I'm really only capable of swapping parts on fully functioning units, Beyond that, I'm clueless. Just so you know, even tho all of the parts are there and it was originally sold in kit form, you are ****ed. These things look really complicated and all I do is swap parts. I can't believe average people actually put these together. That unit will never again work, u may as well go toss it in the trash, it's totally ****ed up."

well sir, I say it's not my HK here that's ****ed up, it was simply started and they lost interest. U on the otherhand are a finished product and as that is the best u can do, I'll have to say only thing too ****ed up here is you....

Just in case anyone contemplating his work. Here is the guy you are dealing with if u have a problem. Good luck

I agree it wasn't a very professional reply, but it sounds like he's maybe been burned on false pretenses in the past. "Oh, just needs final touches (or a refresh) (or whatever)..." but ended up getting basket case to try to sort out, and a bunch of grief from a customer that thinks he's getting shafted when the bad news drops.

I happily work on ''****ed up stuff''. And let me tell you,I bill accordingly.Are you willing to pay the price? Most people are not.And most of them expect it to be completed yesterday as well,regardless of the degree of ****edupness.You want it fast too? Up goes the rate.Are you willing to pay the price?Most people are not.......etc etc.

The amount of time,effort and frustration involved in trying to figure out someone else's past efforts are often incredible.Also,said efforts are usually abysmal,and a lack of technical savvy is often the reason for these abandoned ''I just lost interest'' projects. Taking it all apart is EASY.Putting it all back together in a professional (and subsequently operating condition) is not so easy.

Some individuals view this type of work as being nothing special,and treat those who do it in the same manner.Perhaps CaptainFantastic has spent a lifetime dealing with those kind of people,and wants to get rid of them as quickly,and as decisively, as possible.

Best of luck,

Art

Not business like at all. If you want to spend the time call EBay support and direct them to the message he replied with.and tell them your concern. EBay frowns on that kind of business practice and he may have been reported before.. your reporting could case a suspension or account cancellation. I would definitely call

I doubt his working on stuff was an actual Ebay transaction.

Get your stuff back and use someone else, screw him.

The Deuce is at a non-trivial level of complexity. For a flat rate job, requiring time/effort at the swap parts level, I can see why he'd want to either find some way out of the job. I assume the auction said something like, for this price I will return to you a rebuilt Citation II. Should have gone intot he auction description, though that admission would likely have cost a few customers...LOL

In any case, it is not beyond you.
cheers,
Douglas

if someone is really busy then they may well turn away jobs that take up lots of hours they cant justify charging for whilst they could have gotten a few units turned around .
well thats my thoughts about it .
like of you are overrun with simple cleaning jobs why take on stuff that will load you down ?
best simply find someone who is more friendly .
must be the time of year as i have similar problems with other things ....
all the best sorting your audio out .

I dont see a problem with his reply, it's direct and honest. I can understand it.

Why don't you pm arts, he says he's happy to work on stuff like that.

I fully agree with the OP, no excuse for such a rude reply. Doesn't seem to me like someone I would want to work anything of mine.

Reactions: g.g
Having been the guy who has re-woven a few basket cases in my time I can understand. Usually I'm rather more polite in my responses but I get the gist of it. I'll do stuff like that for myself, but I'm very easy to work for. I also tend to be understanding when my tech gets lazy. Paying customers may not really want to hear that I got part way through a project and shelved it for a few years because I didn't feel like messing with it for a while.

I have a HK Citation II needs restored, am moving to Mexico so just curious I see him on Ebay and message him. Tell him what I have, po started to upgrade it, was never finished. Chassis was painted and new sockets put in it but that's it. I do have all the parts. Wondering if u could give me a ballpark figure for something like this"

Normal person's reply if they didn't want to work on it something like "I'm sorry but I don't work on units that are fully disaassembled, give a made up reason why and hit send.

Captainfantastic16 - his answer told me all I needed to know about him. Even if he was a decent tech he's too big an asshole to work on my stuff.

His reply - I don't work on ****ed up stuff.

One could read that as him saying "I'm sorry, even tho all the parts are there and this was sold in kit form I'm really only capable of swapping parts on fully functioning units, Beyond that, I'm clueless. Just so you know, even tho all of the parts are there and it was originally sold in kit form, you are ****ed. These things look really complicated and all I do is swap parts. I can't believe average people actually put these together. That unit will never again work, u may as well go toss it in the trash, it's totally ****ed up."

well sir, I say it's not my HK here that's ****ed up, it was simply started and they lost interest. U on the otherhand are a finished product and as that is the best u can do, I'll have to say only thing too ****ed up here is you....

Just in case anyone contemplating his work. Here is the guy you are dealing with if u have a problem. Good luck
There is no need for responding in a rude manner, no matter what the situation. This is especially true if you are offering a service for hire. I am aftraid that our nation at the highest level of leadership, has shown that rudeness and intolerance is acceptable. Keep *******Great, by making me and my buddies richer!

He floated through here a couple years ago.

He’s bad news.

His name is Sergei, that spelling may be wrong. “Sir-gay”.

Went psycho on me when I tried to help him with a messed up deal he got into.

Took his mess to StereoRehab in Chicago.
I got to know Casper there through an eBay deal. Casper is a rough talker but a real standup tech and went miles out of his way to deal with that guy. Casper finally packed all his crap up and sent it back to him.

The guy is broader line.

Steer clear.

Last edited:
Not defending this guy in any way, as I have no experience with him, nor any "irons in the fire", so to speak, but "specialty" techs in any area/profession--be it an electronics tech, auto/motorcycle mechanic, body-man, gunsmith, jeweler/watchmaker, whatever, are not always the most "user-friendly" folks out there. They may be extremely talented at their trade, but lack people skills that most customers expect. My local mechanic is a prime example--gruff older guy that can fix anything (if he wants to), but it is on his terms only, and he is not the easiest guy to get along with by most people's standards/expectations. Light years ago, I worked for a consulting firm in the chemical/pharmaceutical industry, and we had on staff a well-renown chemist and a very talented statistician that did phenomenal work, but the last thing you wanted was for them to meet an actual client/potential client--we literally kept them as far away as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom