1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever message sellers about their crazy prices?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by CJVx, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

1. CJVx

CJVx AK Subscriber Subscriber

Has anyone seen a price of equipment listed for an astronomical amount of money, and actually messaged the seller? I’m talking mainly about auction site listings, there has been many instances that I have been tempted but have not. Also, it seems like the holiday seasons bring these crazy prices up even more.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Don't want criminals to have my email address, no. :no:

3. bluestime

bluestime AK Subscriber Subscriber

If I'm not interested in buying, it's really none of my business.

bandg69 likes this.
  4. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Buy high, sell low. That’s my philosophy

Athalwolf, Klappco, maxhifi and 2 others like this.
  5. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

already enough hate in the world, don't want someone I don't know to have my contact info.

6. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did once on another audio forum. The guy was actually thankful. He had some Snell's on sale and was pricing them at a point where they should be perfect. I just mentioned to him where his price point was and the condition they needed to be to get that price. I also mentioned I owned 3 sets of Snells, so I guess he was cool with everything. He actually lowered his price a bit.

markshan likes this.

7. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

Brings to mind...

C1C58D14-0CEF-46D8-A1D7-8763AC2470C7.jpeg

8. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Only very politely, and the few times I've done it have been more on local CL items than ebay. Maybe because I spend more time there. More often it's letting them know that their console does not have tubes in it, or their old radio is not from the 1920s but the 1950s, that sort of thing. Sometimes they're thankful, other times they don't bother to change anything. I do as much as I feel like doing and don't base my happiness on whether they accept it.

Stupid high prices are another thing. Who knows why people list things they way they do on ebay. When it doesn't sell, either that will be OK with them, or not.

Lazarus Long likes this.
  9. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

I've only messaged 1 seller, but in a positive way. His listing was so well prepared, meaning his description, photographs, presentation were very classy. I didn't mention his price, because it was fair too. I watched his listing, and he received a good price for his efforts. The seller did respond thanking me for my comments.

10. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

My guess you let someone know if priced to low also?
    Unless it is something I want,
    I let sleeping dogs lie!
    If it is something I would like, make an offer politely and respectfully.

Item will sell or not.

danrclem likes this.
  11. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

No way, it's really none of my business. Also, a lot of the stuff which used to be "junk", or even "garbage" has now become "antique", "vintage".. and "mid century modern", which in my opinion makes my collection of "junk" seem all the more respectable :)

12. Mayank

Mayank AK Subscriber Subscriber

SaturationPt likes this.
  13. Mlistens03

Mlistens03 Active Member

I messaged a guy once, very very politely, to let him know that his price was way too high. He told me he knew; His wife had told him to sell them, so he priced them knowingly astronomically high, so they wouldn't sell, and he didn't tell his wife. And, when they didn't sell, he would get to keep the speakers. I don't know how that ever turned out, although it would be really interesting to know. :)

14. SmitterDave

SmitterDave Audio Preservation through Restoration. Subscriber

I have been on the receiving end of this... I had some douche bag complaining about my asking price on my Kenwood KD 750 that I purchased new. It sold for my asking price.

Some complain about pricing because they have it in their head they know all values of all gear.

If I think someone is out of line on pricing, I do not respond as it is their item to sell.

15. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I admit I want to sometimes. Something like "What the "F" are you thinking? " You know the adds. But I don't. :D

16. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

So the 1972 quarters I'm selling for $32,153,602.99 are priced a bit low? They're rare and vintage!

Of course I'm kidding

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    Mayank likes this.

17. goodolpg

goodolpg Just an old fart trying to help. Subscriber

No. If it's not something I'm interested in then it's none of my business how they price their items.
    I see the same stuff/CRAP relisted time after time on local CL.
    Either prospective buyers think the price is too high (yet seller rarely lowers it) or it's crap no one wants anyway unless free.
    When I see really WAY WAY OUT THERE pricing I just say to myself "hope they like that XXXX as it isn't going to sell at that price and they'll be living with it for a long time".

If it's something I am interested in, I may ask if the price is firm or negotiable.

danrclem likes this.
  18. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

The only time I respond to a listing like that is when the seller seems confused or actually asks for assistance, But you don't need to worry about a seller getting your contact info; both eBay and Craigslist use an email relay to prevent your info from going from buyer to seller (or vice versa); although with Craigslist, the recipient will see the name that your email address is registered with; on eBay they will just see your username.

19. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Then, there's always the possibility that the seller knows something you don't.

20. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

The voices in their head, does not count as insider information.

CJVx and KingJT like this.