Anyone ever modded a AT95e stylus to fit a AT3600l?

There's an ATN91R stylus available, it has a red plastic assembly and an aluminium cantilever. Does that one not use a compliance adjustment screw?

AVimg_22857.jpg
This a conical stylus, I already have a AT3600l conical but with CF cantilever which I think might be helping the sound, but just for an experiment wondered about aluminium cantilever and an elliptical or better. The conical sounds great, but you can help wondering when something sounds so good what it might sound like with a more exotic stylus.
Chris

This a conical stylus, I already have a AT3600l conical but with CF cantilever which I think might be helping the sound, but just for an experiment wondered about aluminium cantilever and an elliptical or better. The conical sounds great, but you can help wondering when something sounds so good what it might sound like with a more exotic stylus.
Chris
It might sound better, but then again, it might not. Have you considered the possibility that what you like about it is the conical stylus? Or to put it another way, what you don't like about the 95e is the elliptical stylus?

Only reason I'm asking is, that for a given cartridge body and when all else is equal, the conical will have the weakest HF fidelity, or subjectively the warmest sound.

It might sound better, but then again, it might not. Have you considered the possibility that what you like about it is the conical stylus? Or to put it another way, what you don't like about the 95e is the elliptical stylus?

Only reason I'm asking is, that for a given cartridge body and when all else is equal, the conical will have the weakest HF fidelity, or subjectively the warmest sound.
The At3600l is balanced detailed (not fine twinkly detail as it is a conical but still very detailed and good bass with nice forward in room mids with an overall wide presentation. The AT95e is thinner, maybe slightly better fine detail but hard to tell as the lard top end is a bit distracting. Mids are ok but not as smooth as AT3600l and bass is not as good for sure. I have a new ATvm95 conical and a ml version too, also tried both these stylus on the AT95e and IMO they sound better on the 95e body than on the vm body. The 95e even with a conical or a ML stylus (line contact) stylus maintains the hard edge to things, very good as it is the presentation of the AT3600l is just nicer. The two cart bodies measure differently too, but wonder if it is the cart body or the CF cantilever that makes the difference? If it is the CF cantilever the AT3600l with a AT95e stylus will sound like an AT95e, if not then we may have found a real sleeper which is my though here.
Chris

If you want to try out a stylus with a conical tip and CF cantilever on the AT95e body, just pick up an AT3400 stylus. I have one and to be honest, I don't think it sounds all that great though.

I like the AT 3600 series very much. Much more so than my AT95e. I have a CN5625AL, which has a .7 mil tip on an aluminum cantilever. I like it's sound a lot. I need to pick up one of the $12 AT3600L with the .6 mil on a CF cantilever to compare the two. Especially since the CN5625AL has been discontinued.:(

I love the M91ED grew up with it-lets us know how the Vividline sounds. I have been debating myself whether to go this route or the Jico He

Chris
Yes. But I was asking if the ATN91R has a screw in the plastic body - if so this might make transplanting a ML or Shibata from the new AT-VM95 range onto this a lot easier.

At this price level, it has been my experience that AT doesn't use a set screw. Not all aftermarket ones do, either.
Have you had one of these ATN91R's?

Yes. But I was asking if the ATN91R has a screw in the plastic body - if so this might make transplanting a ML or Shibata from the new AT-VM95 range onto this a lot easier.

The new VM dont have a screw I have a VM95ml. The ml though does fit the old AT95e though.
Chris

I have a 3600L* with both the alloy and CF needles, neither has the set screw. Also the 95 with the various ATN that fit it. None of these have the set screw either. I found a Tonar branded one that does.

*Correction: It's the CN5625AL, not the 3600L. Not sure if there's a difference...

Last edited:
Here's another one you may want to try tracking down:

ATN3601-E-1.jpg

It's an ATN3601E (0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical with an aluminum cantilever, recommended VTF = 1.8 - 2.2g). I find it more detailed than the standard AT3600L conical, but I find the conical more "fun". But, that's just one man's opinion, with my gear, my ears and my records.

I use the AT3600L specifically for playing worn thrift store records. I have other cartridges that are more refined and offer better detail for pristine vinyl. This requires running multiple tables (due to different compliances), but it's nice to have both tools in my kit. If limited to one table, running the AT3600L and swapping styli (between the stock stylus and the elliptical) would be a good option. All you need to do is dial the VTF up or down when swapping the styli.

Back
Top Bottom