Anyone ever seen 1 of these? Clarion MD-7800

Ibemiked

i found this locally a few days ago.. it's a Clarion MD-7800.. Clarion UFO series.. Home Audio from Clarion.. it's definitely rare.. apparently only about 1000 of these were made but I haven't found much online about it. Anybody out there know anything about this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 269
I remember one of the local furniture stores selling those for a short time, along with some funky CD players and low-end speakers. Seemed decent enough for entry level but not at the prices the furniture store was asking. Said store got out of the audio gear business within about 6 months then closed their doors forever a few months later. Nobody misses them.

The deck looks like a BSR deck, so maybe they were the OEM.

I remember one of the local furniture stores selling those for a short time, along with some funky CD players and low-end speakers. Seemed decent enough for entry level but not at the prices the furniture store was asking. Said store got out of the audio gear business within about 6 months then closed their doors forever a few months later. Nobody misses them.

The deck looks like a BSR deck, so maybe they were the OEM.

Well.. this was available (new) from 1977 to 79.. Defintelty NOT entry level.. and CD players weren't available until 1982 so it must of been something else you saw unless it was New old stock.. this UFO series stuff is high quality.. I found a complete 7800 series set (amp, tape deck, tuner) on eBay Australia for $750 BIN.. This stuff is actually pretty rare.. there were only 700-1000 individual units produced. I'd love to get my hands on the 7800 amp.. Super cool stuff.. the MD-7800 msrp was 94,800 yen which is about $870.00 in 1977! So this was definitely not "entry level" I found the ad here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0659.PNG
    IMG_0659.PNG
    261.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0658.PNG
    IMG_0658.PNG
    253.8 KB · Views: 98
I do recall Clarion's attempts to go upmarket in the late 1970s, an attempt that was unsuccessful because their brand name had a low-end car stereo connotation, even though the gear itself may have been perfectly good. They should have picked a more upscale sounding name for their new products. Anyway, the deck in the picture closely resembles what I remember from said furniture store. You may be correct in that they were NOS units. They do really look like some of the BSR and ADC units available for sale about that time and sold by Dixie Hi-Fi and others as well as mail order through DAK. I would be interested to see how they perform.

I do recall Clarion's attempts to go upmarket in the late 1970s, an attempt that was unsuccessful because their brand name had a low-end car stereo connotation, even though the gear itself may have been perfectly good. They should have picked a more upscale sounding name for their new products. Anyway, the deck in the picture closely resembles what I remember from said furniture store. You may be correct in that they were NOS units. They do really look like some of the BSR and ADC units available for sale about that time and sold by Dixie Hi-Fi and others as well as mail order through DAK. I would be interested to see how they perform.

Clarion low-end car stereo connotation?????

Clarion car sistems 1977
01.jpg

Udo series Nos Units?????

clarion-UFO77.jpg

This series was projected by the clarion itself.
to compete with the big hi-fi brands
They did so in small numbers,
no more than 700 to 1,000 units.
There are other very interesting Clarion series aimed at the japan market.

I have a ufo series system, it is already the second, the first was in 1978

I have this double deck, maybe one of the first deck doubles

CLARION-X2-004.jpg

Agree that Clarion (at least the car audio) was not entry level. I owned a few pieces back in the 80s.

Clarion car audio was probably mid fi. Entry was Jensen and a multitude of others. The higher end arguably was Kenwood,Pioneer,Alpine. And if you were really lucky you could get your mitts on a Nakamichi.

Clarion car audio was probably mid fi. Entry was Jensen and a multitude of others. The higher end arguably was Kenwood,Pioneer,Alpine. And if you were really lucky you could get your mitts on a Nakamichi.

'm referring to 70's car audio system.
Pioneer emerged later in the 80's.
Nakamichi, Alpine, and Kenwood in the mid-1980s.
summing up the Clarion in the 70's was at the level of jensen.

Last edited:
Nope. Pioneer was early 80s .I had a silver series Pioneer component system in my bronco in 1982. And i bought it used.

Read your own post.

'm referring to 70's car audio system.
Pioneer emerged later in the 80's. :idea:

Yes, you're right, sorry.

In 1977 had a very interesting car radios and systems , but systems with separate components "similar to Clarion" was in the year 1978-79, according to the brochures of the time.

I'd like to see those brochures. I can't imagine any manufacturer advertising their product as being 'similar to somebody else'. Maybe a dealer, but not a manufacturer.

Regardless, the GM-120 amp dates back to at least 1979. I know, I had one. The GM-40 goes back a little further, and the GM-10 dates to 1977. Pioneer was selling component car stereo before 1980.

Fwiw, I had a decent Clarion stereo in one of my cars around the same time frame. I might still have it in a box somewhere. It was a very good unit, as I remember.

I think we're a bit off topic from the original post in this thread.

bs

I had this setup minus the tuner with gm 120 amp. It was awesome and never had a problem with it. Brings back memories. But yea. I didnt know clarion had home stuff
UWKloDl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom