Anyone ever shipped a car ?

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Theres a dizzying amount of broker companies out there who just post on trucking boards to get the cheapest trucker. Makes it hard to choose one.

I have a client who does a fair bit of internet buying and selling of cars and he'll be in the office in about 15 minutes. Be glad to ask him if he has any suggestions. Where from and where to?

Try the moving companies. I had Mayflower bring my '73 911S from rust-free Santa Monica in the back of their van. Was about the same price as the dedicated auto movers and they did an excellent, dent/scratch-free job. And, was inside, out of the weather, the entire way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks !

I've also had several vehicles moved by domestic moving companies as part of cross-country relocation. If they will undertake a vehicle-only deal with you, expect pretty good results. None of my vehicles were ever scratched. I used Allied once and United 3 different times.

I think it depends on the type of car, what your insurance covers, and what risk you are willing to take.

I have used Road Scholar Transport, and Intercity Lines.

Both of the truck trailers were enclosed (not with canvas), and were specifically suited for transporting antique/classic/exotic cars.

Both of those, and a handful of others that specialize in transporting these types of cars, know how to handle them, and take care of them.

With some company that does moving of any sort (furniture, equipment, etc), you might not get the skills that you want.

But, it really comes down to the car, and how important it is to you. Moving your chevy vega across country? Probably any mover. Moving your 1930 Madame X Cadillac for showing at Meadowbrook? Go with the pros.

My 2¢.

Doc

I used Allied in the 80s when I was moving around.They shipped from Moncton NB to Ottawa ON and then from Ottawa to halifax NS.

I had to wrap it in bubble-wrap though,that was a pain!! :yes:

Alan

There are a number of car carriers in our area. Choice of open or closed trailers. Time Auto - I've used...on telegraph and 9 or so. Pilot Transport is near Kensingston...and Reliable Carrier is in Canton.

Depends on what you're shipping and where you're shipping. I've used the above. There are a number of individuals that haul cars - out of our area. You can find their information in a magazine called Hemmings.

Time Auto may be your best bet....again it depends on what you want hauled. The others can be rather expensive.
Larry

Looking to bring one in from NY city or thereabouts. Open trailer is cool with me. Times not of the essence but I would like to pay the person who is actually carrying my car. Not who is sub contracting it out. Thanks

I had a feller named P.C. Bear bring me a '51 Chevy ton Panel Truck from Long Island to Tennessee about 10 yrs ago. No problems- Seems like it was about <$1k. I found him in Hemmings- the panel wagon was piggy back on his late model Ford roll-back. -Sandy G.

I have used regular moving companies on job relocations with limited success. A Chevy Suburban came out unscathed. But my Merkur Scorpio's hood was beat to hell by a errant chain that came unhooked and danced on it from NC to CA -- of course nobody heard a thing!

First insurance adjuster (for the insurance company) said it could be fixed with just a little bondo work = $500. I balked and got a second opinion from a body shop -- they said they wanted to hire the guy that could fix the hood with bondo because he was a bodyworking magician! Full replacement = $1500 (Euro car afterall.) Settled for $1200 and drove around with a hood that looked like a golf ball.

No matter who you use -- take digital pics of the "before" condition, and digital snaps immediately when it arrives of the trailer with the transporter person present. Send a camera to the seller if you have to to get the "before" pics. Take underhood, wheels, and interior shots too. These are your defense against any "mishaps" -- and might even tune up the transporter person(s) that you care about this car -- it's not just a hunk of metal.

Don't rely on the little sheet the mainstream moving companies use that the transporter person puts a circle on a car outline to show where there is a nick or caved-in door on the "before" shipping state -- it leaves too much margin for interpretation.

Good luck.

You can take digital photo's but keep in mind they are not accepted in court. Use film and be done with it.

You can't take a digital photo, get it printed on photo paper at your local drugstore, and use that in court?

Why?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I doubt the use of a digital camera to document the condition of a vehicle prior to shipping would present a problem-

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/admissibilityofdigital.html

I have digital pictures of my household belongings for insurance purposes, and the insurance company not only confirmed it was acceptable, but strongly suggested it for my own protection.

Last edited:
I used the one that eBay recommends, and it was a disaster. They did a lot of damage to the car, and refused to pay anything by blaming anyone they could think of, no matter how ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom