Anyone familiar with the Westwood one concert series LPs?

Picked this up a few minutes ago. Has absolutely no markings stating what concert it is. Checked discdogs and Google, the catalog number (89-24) returned nothing other than it's a 1989 concert. Unfortunately, I'm getting on a plane in an hour and won't be home until next week to listen to it. IMG_20161223_150533360.jpg IMG_20161223_150533360.jpg IMG_20161223_145810109.jpg

Should be interesting to see what's on it. Westwood One (WW1) released a lot of lp concerts to radio stations only. The stations could build a show around the concert. Presumably a royalty deal was made, since WW1 is a commercial enterprise. Usually, there was only one disk and the artist and concert information was prominently displayed on the jacket and the label. The recordings are always soundboard quality. I think the pressing was okay, but not import quality. I may have one of these in my collection. I'll look. As I recall, they may also have some leadin and leadout narration about the concert and signifying the show is from the WW1 network. It's unlikely they are still producing vinyl records. It would be hard to find a radio station that has a turntable.

Daddy Bone. Right on the money. The concerts were syndicated by Westwood One and would either be dedicated to a single artist or many. They contained spots that were mandatory to run in the show. These concerts could be used in their entirety in one airing providing stations enough time in the segments to sell local avails. For instance, a half hour of the vinyl might have actually been 23 1/2 minutes allowing for, say, two three minute local spot avails and 3 joiners/breakers/station ID. The shows, due to their configuration on the medium, could also be stripped out and used one or more segments at a time for, let's say, a noon time lunch special etc. The 89-24, I believe is the 24th week of 1989.

Westwood One also did simulcasts with TV stations. Before there was stereo TV, the station would partner with an FM station, one doing the audio and the other the video. I have several of these on VHS still, and some others where all I got was the audio. IIRC, the well-known "Asia In Asia" on MTV was also simulcast on FM. Some others were Seatrain, Tom Rush and Leon Russell - all around 1972 or so.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Coudn't find a Westwood One, but I have an RKO Networks Captured Live Disk featuring Blue Oyster Cult. Don't know where or when I got it or what I paid. It's in a 12" folder and has a letter sized data sheet. There's info for what's on the disk, sound queues, advertising breaks, etc. I found this record on discogs and discovered that there were two more disks in the set that I didn't get. Hey?!?! Of course all the best songs were on the two disks I didn't get. Ratsa-fracking-ding-dong-so-and-so!
BOC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom