Anyone have a Jasper #200 circle cutting jig?

Silver Fan

I am about to tackle a DIY speaker cabinet (or two) this summer and would like to use the Jasper #200 Circle cutting jig to help get the speaker holes right. Here it is for $40 at parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=365-250

Anyone have one of these they would like to sell, rent or loan?

I just hate to spend $40 + shipping just to cut a few holes. I only would need it for a few days - or if anyone has one they want to clear out of their workshop...???

Ken

I was planning to use a router to first countersink for the speaker flange then cut the smaller hole for the speaker to sit into.

Ken

I have a jig from Sears that fits Craftsman routers, but you can make one fairly easy. Use a piece of paneling or thin plywood. You cut a hole for the router bit and the screws that go into the router base. Now all you do is put a nail or screw in the center of your cutout and it will make a perfect circle.

jig_thumb.jpg

Ya, I guess I can break down and make a jig. That Jasper just has all the holes already made to make the different size circles. If I am unable to find one here I will do the DIY jig route. Take a look that Jasper. Could be handy for cutting a lot of different size holes. Just kinda pricy at $40...

Ken

I used Wardsweb's technique as well - screw the router to a thin piece of scrap, accurately mark the distance from the outside edge of the bit to the center, drill a small pilot hole and screw or nail to the panel. I tried the jig on a piece of scrap first to make sure the diameter was exactly what i wanted and to get a feel for smoothly moving the router through the arc. Also a good idea to make the cut in multiple passes - easier to maintain a smooth cutting speed and avoid overheating the bit. This is potentially more accurate that a pre-drilled jig as well because you are purposely building a jig to suit your tools and exact hole size desired.

Accurate if you do a test cut first and very cost effective (free).

attachment.php

Hey Silver...I'd also say go the DIY jig route. Myself...I cut the larger 15" holes with a jigsaw...if ya got a fairly steady hand...you can make a pretty nice larger circle with a jigsaw. For the smaller holes...I used a circle jig on a roto-zip. This little tool does do a nice job...I have used this tool to cut stairs, windows and more can lights outta drywall than I care to recall :mad:

Last edited:
Looks like the best thing for me to to is to do my own jig. I believe in the voice of experience!

Thanks guys!

Ken

i have seen the jasper jig, ... and while it does have about a zillion different pre-drilled holes, the fourthings it has going against it are:

1. the price
2. the price (again)
3. it only fits certain brands / models of routers
4. in the event that you would wish to make a custom sized holes, you would still need to make a custom jig as others have noted.

there are a few models of jasper jigs, ...one at $40, ...there is also a cheaper one at around $30 which has slighly less number of hole combinations.

i remember seeing jasper jigs availably atwoodcraft as well as some cheaper clones and jig templates (basically a sheet of plastic paper which you could use to mark the holes on to your custom template.

another alternative, when making your template, consider using plexiglass, ..therefore you can see the cut as it develops.

cheers

I (cough...cough) have that jig--picked it up when it was on sale, but haven't tried it yet. Give me a break. I'm lazy, short on time, and do this stuff for a living.:p:

I built my own jig out of pannelling and it took about 10 minutes to make. A major advantage with the DIY jig is that you can make it long and use the leverage to help you make a fast, smooth cut.
I think a Jasper might have an advantage when it comes to cutting out small holes. Also $40 is not much off the price of a good router bit which you need to cut the materials typically used in building speakers with. Tungsten Carbide is a must for MDF if you want the bit to last any length of time.

I used a Jasper 200, liked it, returned it

I ordered this jig from Parts Express, and used it immediately to cut some holes with flanges. It worked GREAT. But it was clear as soon as I figured out how it attached to the router that all the numbers were on the WRONG SIDE, namely to be viewed from the same side as the countersinks for the router screws. In other words, I really couldn't read the $%#@ numbers while using it! But I was so eager to get some drivers mounted that I just made the extra effort to figure out which hole corresponded to which size.

Once I got the hole-cutting out of my system, I called PE to describe the screw-up on this batch of jigs. Mostly I was interested in finding out if they had any that were RIGHT. They didn't, but it wasn't easy to find that out. Then weeks later they said they did so I mailed it for exchange, but when they received it they called me to say - again - they had none that were correctly printed. So they reimbursed me for the jig and shipping, and I wasn't out a thing.

It's a great tool if you cut a lot of different size holes, and if it fits your plunge router. I think it fits many brands. If it goes on sale I think I'll buy it again -- if it's correctly printed.

Tubino

Thread split

This thread wandered into new territory so I have split the rest to a new thread entitled "Array speaker ideas" in DIY.

Please do continue with discussion of circle cutters here if you please.

Moderator Rob

PartsExpress deal on both Jasper jigs

Parts Express has a special deal if you want the Jasper 200 AND 400 jigs. Together the price is $49.95. I might have to put this on my birthday list.

Tubino

Back
Top Bottom