Anyone have a "parts" Philips 212 turntable?

passion4audio

"I love Daddy's TL's!"
The Philips 212 TT I purchased on Ebay apparently came without the belt and counterweight (that attaches to arm).

Based on the absolutely wonderful job the seller did with packaging and his tremendous positive feedback, I don't think it was intentional or misrepresented.

I have emailed the seller about it, but imagine that he doesn't have it.

Does anyone happen to have a counterweight I can purchase? I'd be willing to part with $40.

Thanks!

If the photos in the auction posting showed the counterweight, the seller ought to pay for the correct part -- shouldn't be too hard to find -- but he either used a bogus picture or lost the counterweight. The belt is less obvious -- if he said the table works, than he ought to provide one, or pay. If the table was presented as is, and the counterweight was not shown, than you are sort of stuck.
While getting the correct weight might not be too hard, you won't be able to use anyother manufacturer's weight, since the Phillips arm is mush narrower in diameter than others. On the other hand, there is nothing magical about the weight, and so anything you can hang on the arm that will stay there without shifting would work in a pinch -- even someone else's weight with the slop taken up with putty.
I once used RtR tape scotch taped in a loop with a 212 -- it diminishes the isolation of the subchasis etc,. but it actually sounded really good.

I think that you can get a new belt from Elix Atelier (http://www.elexatelier.com/).
At my father's house, I have a basket case GA-308 (very similar arm to the 212/312, at least cosmetically)... in a pinch, you could try the weight from it... but the 'tt's in MD and I'd have to re-claim the parts (i.e., it might take a little while). The irony is that I was there last Monday, and I ALMOST brought this sad little beast home with me :-(

The 212/312 is worth the effort of resuscitating, IMNSHO.

Back
Top Bottom