Anyone have any ideas for Sony SS-M7 Tweeter Replacements?

I actually just tracked down the right ones. Took a while. Talk to GordonW and see if he can rebuild your tweeter, assuming you have one. Mine were missing.

So the good news is I was able to buy them. Bad news is one tweeter is missing and the seller didn't have it. Any more thoughts on replacement tweeters?IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1328.JPG

i often see that peerless one around in Brisbane.. a local manufacturer used these back in 1990's or so , they do come up on some speakers here and there.. i might have one lying somewhere i have to have a look.

i also have an visually identical tweeter (the one with 5 holes) Vifa linked earlier in the post for some of those sony models it reads as vifa d27tg 65 06, 06 ohm (faceplate is different than the one in partsexpress link)

Last edited:
thanks, glen

is there a way i can run simple tests on the tweeter i have to get ballpark T/S parameters?

thanks, glen

is there a way i can run simple tests on the tweeter i have to get ballpark T/S parameters?
i don't really think these parameters can be home measured accurately especially on tweeters but here is a guide http://sound.whsites.net/tsp.htm

you can measure inductance and resistance which would probably give you some idea... though i think just a bit of patience and you will find this tweeter..
its not that rare at all.
if it's that hard to get in USA, keep an eye on Australian ebay, or if i come across one , i am happy to help you with the postage

whooaa! good news. i found the tweeter. i took off the tweeter face plate and noticed, pushed back a bit into the polyfill, the soft dome still attached to the wires. then i took out the woofer and fished around and VOILA, i found the driver/magnet structure. speaker must have fallen off its stand and the tweeter took a shock--cracked the clips on the face plate that hold the driver to the face plate and the magnet must have then fallen off. former owner never figured this out.

the tinsel on one side is broken so will have to try to solder that back together (steady hands!). also, need to find pieces of the face plate clip that broke off. i found one piece in the bottom of the cabinet. must be other pieces lurking...

have to take off now but will work on this in next few days.

anyone know if these tweets have ferrofluid? if so, may be good time to refresh it.

i almost sent you good news today too :)
i did a haul on bunch of speakers today, and a pair had the peerless tweeters on a good pair with identical faceplate, however, when i opened up, i saw they were a different model and 8 ohms not 4.. i don't think these are ferro cooled... but check the magnet gap.. if they are, then there will definitely be ferro residue inside the magnet chamber.. good luck with the micro surgery.. steady hands, reading glasses and a magnifying glass helps

whooaa! good news. i found the tweeter. i took off the tweeter face plate and noticed, pushed back a bit into the polyfill, the soft dome still attached to the wires. then i took out the woofer and fished around and VOILA, i found the driver/magnet structure. speaker must have fallen off its stand and the tweeter took a shock--cracked the clips on the face plate that hold the driver to the face plate and the magnet must have then fallen off. former owner never figured this out.

Great news, these are one of my dream speakers, good luck with the repairs.

well, good news and bad news again
i got the tweeter working!
bad news: one of the woofers died. will start a new thread re the woofer.
must say, they sound darn nice with the one woofer missing

Back
Top Bottom