Anyone have experience with Fidelity Research FR-54 & FR24 tonearms?

The 54 on my JVC TT-71.... Have the arm off a Denon DP-70M on the way from Japan. I'm very much looking forward to comparing it against my Fidelity Research arms (14, 24, 54 & 64S).

IMG_20170907_231210.jpg

IMG_20170912_181810.jpg
The Denon DP-70M was one of the higher end Denon tables and the arm is extremely well specc'd. Very similar effective length too the FR arms too at 244mm v 245mm.

Arm highlights include:

VTA adjustable on the fly up to 9mm
Dynamic Damping in the counter weight and the end of the tonearm wand
Gold plated contacts
Magnetic antiskating
Autolifting of itself at the end of records (I hope this works on another table)

images.jpg

If this can compare with the FR arms then they're one hell of a bargain. Either way I expect it will outperform a Jelco. I'll report my findings here, or perhaps start a new thread. Probably more appropriate :)

Last edited:
Not just yet. Been putting coat after coat of ultra gloss on the turntable plinth and sanding between coats. One coat every 24 hours. It's beginning to look quite good. I'm having someone make up some arm boards for me which I'll paint either hammertone gunmetal grey or hammertone bronze and fit the DP70M arm on one and an FR54 on the other. I'll get there eventually.

Last edited:
Not just yet. Been putting coat after coat of ultra gloss on the turntable plinth and sanding between coats. One coat every 24 hours. It's beginning to look quite good. I'm having someone make up some arm boards for me which I'll paint either hammertone gunmetal grey or hammertone bronze and fit the DP70M arm on one and an FR54 on the other. I'll get there eventually.
Slow, but steady wins the race, right? Same around here.

Slow, but steady wins the race, right? Same around here.

Yes, very slow progress with this one. I'd rather get it spot on than be aware of a defect and have to live with it. Drives you crazy over time.

I suspect that the Denon arm will be happy with a wider range of cartridges due to its damping. The FR-54 is just a pleasure to use, though I do prefer the lifter on my FR-14. It drops very slowly making for zero thuds in needle drops.

Back
Top Bottom